AC FWD vs RWD: Abarth/Suzuki/Mazda@Nordschleife, Wed 31st January 2024

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
after Macau where i was losing on straights s3-s1 almost a second 0.8 to my same class atleast on big tracks like this i prefer to go with the plug n play car :p . Markus you can ask some other there is plenty of fast players in here :).

That gearing thing might actually not that bad, on my preliminary PB I used 6th gear only for a short while between Flugplatz and Aremberg.

In Kesselchen and Döttinger Höhe I´m topping out in fifth which compares to the Suzuki at 199 km/h.

Not sure the cornering advantage will carry here as trackknoledge is vital and the Suzuki is way more surviveable, i.e. less prone to spinning.

In case you were wondering here´s Wetter.com for Wednesday night:

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 12-00-23 Wetter Adenau übermorgen wetter.com.png

Last edited:
I had the feeling that the Suzuki might be hobbled by its lack of top speed. but feelings don´t mean much without data;):

SUZ-MAZ.PNG

On the flipside I can see now why Apex and RentforRing rented these things out to everyone and anyone, they are "easy" (boring) to drive.

I wasn´t motivated to do much setup work, so only set max gearing for topspeed and eye balled the tyre pressures which were slightly off with a nice tendency to " lift off rear steer" :D

Han, anything on the weather??
If I remember correctly you´r the race director who wants "realistic" conditions ?

(I won´t let that go until you take a stand make a statement ;))

Last edited:
What a pleasant surprise to see this week's track! :laugh:

Got a few things to share:
1) WOW! My favorite track and we're racing on it this week! Super excited and looking forward to this one more than any other week!

2) Choice of car seemed very puzzling at start so I gave it a couple of laps with each car before deciding and results turned out to be somewhat of a surprise! Don't discard the little hornet just because it lags behind on the straights, it more than makes up for it on the turns - with my skill level, take it with a grain of salt....
Abarth felt quicker but much more dependent on getting the perfect line and with 20km of track for a lap I prefer reliability over speed.
And then the little Mazda: just stay away from curbs. And both carrousels. And elevation changes in general. Don't get me wrong, it was the most fun to drive of the 3 options, but also felt the more unstable throughout the course. Again, I choose the long term reliability of keeping it between the lines and pointing in the right direction over the fun roller-coaster drive with hints of frustration whenever you don't get it right.

3) Here's what I consider to be the most fun way to practice and learn the track layout. Every now and then I like to just head to a very busy ring and let the adrenaline kick in!
You'll need at the very least this mod for it: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/nordschleife-tourist-enhanced-mod.18078/
I'm not sure, but I think it also enhances the track textures for the regular Nordschleife we will be running this week, so win-win! :thumbsup:

4) Han I hope you are feeling better this week!

See you on track!
- Ricardo

Was hoping we would race here after racing at Fonteny. Though unfortunately I didn't have a lot of time to practice for it. I'm still a couple of seconds behind my usual rivals. Maaaaaybe I'll be able to close the gap with some extra practice tomorrow, but we'll see.

Looking forward to this one, it's gonna be great fun!
See you guys Wednesday!

I tried repeatedly to learn the track (drove about 1,5 h in the last couple days ) but still struggle in some points. I don't know where to place the map for a quick glance to understand where I am, do you have any hint? I tried putting it close to the wheel but basically I never look there, while having it much higher doesn't help with looking at the track.
I know, I should've learned it by heart but it's quite hard as I never loved this track and almost never raced on it except when I've been force in e.g. GT7 or so, but the length of the track is so high that you have to practice a real lot.
Truth to be told, though, the "need" of racing it here for an hour hence to learn it at least at a basic level is starting to letting me appreciate the track, maybe I'll end up loving it like many others! Had I had the time, I would have started the GT7 "learn the track" function to at least memorize it but it's been a tough weekend.

Yeah, I hated the track for a long time too. For the same reasons. But now, that I have about 20 or so hours on the Nordschleife, it became my almost favourite track. I struggled the longest time with the bits after the first caroussel until Pflanzgarten, but I finally remembered the most important corners. (I'm looking at YOU, Eiskurve!)

I tried repeatedly to learn the track (drove about 1,5 h in the last couple days ) but still struggle in some points. I don't know where to place the map for a quick glance to understand where I am, do you have any hint?
There is a nice mod called comfy map where you can hover your mouse over an area of the track, keep spacebar pressed, (only in SINGLEPLAYER) and after a bit of mouse wiggling, you'll get teleported there. This is the way to learn various parts of the track!
But be careful, your wheel might act out a bit when finally teleporting! It's experimental, but with a bit of practice works nicely.

I tried repeatedly to learn the track (drove about 1,5 h in the last couple days ) but still struggle in some points.
I get that. This track has frustrated me for a couple of hours. It sure needs a lot of practice before you start feeling confident. That’s when learning to go fast starts and you’ll easily go 5-10 seconds faster after some laps.

What helps me in these long tracks is memorizing where the flat-out parts are and where they stop. I’ll still go very slow through the corners, but now I have some markers which remind me I have to start focusing. And go slow(er) at first! Nothing kills flow/concentration/motivation more than crashing every lap. But yeah, you still have to put in the hours.

@omar:

I have the (AC Apps) track map on the left A pillar, it´s white on dark and good to see.
But, actually I don´t need it for the track any more , only for the traffic around me.

And Eiskurve I will never forget.
I was on a motorcycle trackday/training ( in a land before our time :redface:) and my "instructor" decided to let of the gas and turn around to whatch us :speechless:
As I was on his rear wheel and WOT out of Brünnchen/YouTube Corner I had a tough time avoiding killing us both. Guess who got yelled at afterwards :sick:

BTT: good tipps here to learn NOS, best is not to go for times untill you have a few hours in.
You need to have the markers for the "bitch corners" so you won´t be surprised.
Also, especially in Hatzenbach complex I´d favour line and flow over acceleration.
I´m in fourth all the time ( same Hohe Acht to Eschbach).

Last edited:
There is a nice mod called comfy map where you can hover your mouse over an area of the track, keep spacebar pressed, (only in SINGLEPLAYER) and after a bit of mouse wiggling, you'll get teleported there. This is the way to learn various parts of the track!
But be careful, your wheel might act out a bit when finally teleporting! It's experimental, but with a bit of practice works nicely.
Wow! Super useful! I'm pretty much ok on the first part but struggle in others, and this is what I need(ed)!

Im way way quicker in the Abarth,but i just cant seem to get a timed lap in.Tried allsorts of options,so will go with the Mazda..My worst track ever,cant seem to gel with it no matter which car i,ve driven,and theres been a few around here...Hoping for a top 10,but after an hr racing bringing it home will be a miracle.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • Prizes

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • Trophies

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Forum trophies