"Free" mods

How do you personally feel about 'free' mods which restrict downloading ...unless a "donation" has been paid?
Do you go on to support the modder ....or do you take it personally and stay away?
I'm just trying to gauge what others think.

Sounds like that.

I am a bit confused now, there are free mods and there are pay mods and there are free mods with the option to donate.
@Terry Rock Enlighten me :D

Hey! the "free" part is not my word :D.
If you look around the sim community, that's exactly how some are worded.
A few correctly call it early release through donating...others call it free even though it's tied to a donation to allow downloading.
I personally don't have a problem paying for good mods.
I'd just like that to be stated up front....without the 'games'.

I don't know of any so called "free" mods that I have to pay for. Can you give an example?

Lake Louise, kind of. You get a few layouts for free but to get all the layouts you have to donate something (even just a dollar). I've seen a car too where you get a really basic version of it for free but have to donate to get the good version, forget which car though.

Last edited:
Lake Louise, kind of. You get a few layouts for free but to get all the layouts you have to donate something (even just a dollar). I've seen a car too where you get a really basic version of it for free but have to donate to get the good version, forget which car though).
But the free part is ... free ;). If there is additional content the author would like to charge for that's his prerogative - he/they invested the development time. In my mind the issue isn't with the "free" statement, it's expecting more... for free :D

I haven't seen this myself, but if I see a mod which is advertised as free, but requires a donation to be downloaded, I would seriously question the modder's integrity and probably stay away from them regardless of how good the mod is.

That's just blatant lying.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies