FPS stuck to 72?

Wabbit_NL

Premium
Hello,

I have a strange problem with my RF2 basically since I upgraded my PC. It seems that it makes no difference what ever I change in the graphics, I always get 72FPS (with both in game fps and steam counter). I am using 3 x 27" on 7680x1440 144hz monitors. All other games run between 120 and 180 fps on high or ultra settings.

I really can not find anything on the internet regarding this problem, I even tried to run on the center screen only with 2560x1440 stil 72. Since 72 is exactly half of 144hz it looks like it is trying to split it.

Does anyone recognize this problem and knows how to solve it???

Thanks!

Peter

Last edited:
Is that what Gsync/FreeSync do if you can't maintain 144? They drop to some multiple lower? Try disabling Gsync/FreeSync?

I tried turning v-sync on and now the fps drop in game to 60 instantly but also seems fixed or stuck at 60. No matter which track or how many oponents it stays exactly 60 fps. But now with a complete blurry image while driving. Rfactor was normally pretty high with fps rate on my old pc. All other games run much higher fps. All other games have better fps but are dynamic so you actually see the fps changing from example 106 to 165 depending all what changes on the screen. Rf2 stays steady on the 70 fps no matter what you change on the screen!!

Good, so turn VSYNC off. Now check the player.json for "Max Framerate":0, and set it to 0 if it isn't.
Hi Emery,

I have max framerate set to 0 already. I tried changing that to 144 but without any change. As soon as I start the game I see the fps counter go to 144 in the menus but when I start a race it instantly drops to 72 no matter what I change in graphic settings, it really looks like it is a fixed setting or something! This is a total fresh install, all new hardware, new windows 11 and new install of RF2. This hardware is at least 30% faster then my old stuff. I even tried running on 1 screen with medium graphics and still fixed to 72! I am really confused...

I tried turning v-sync on and now the fps drop in game to 60 instantly but also seems fixed or stuck at 60. No matter which track or how many oponents it stays exactly 60 fps.

That is normal vsync operation. It attempts to maintain a 1:1 ratio of frames sent from the vid card to the monitors refresh rate; if the refresh rate is 120 and your system can supply 120fps all the time you will get 120fps, but if the system drops below that, even by 1fps, vsync will drop to the next lowest whole number ratio - in this case 60fps, a 1:2 ratio - and maintain that.

With vsync you get smoother animations and no screen tearing but are limited to 120 or 60 or 30 fps; without vsync animation isn't as smooth but the system can maintain the highest fps it can under the circumstances.

That is normal vsync operation. It attempts to maintain a 1:1 ratio of frames sent from the vid card to the monitors refresh rate; if the refresh rate is 120 and your system can supply 120fps all the time you will get 120fps, but if the system drops below that, even by 1fps, vsync will drop to the next lowest whole number ratio - in this case 60fps, a 1:2 ratio - and maintain that.

With vsync you get smoother animations and no screen tearing but are limited to 120 or 60 or 30 fps; without vsync animation isn't as smooth but the system can maintain the highest fps it can under the circumstances.
Hi, ok clear that must be it then. But vsync is off (gsync in nvidia control is enabled). I tried a fresh start by removing the configdx11.ini file and then it starts on my center 2560x1440P monitor and runs exactly 144hz. I tried enabling v-sync to 1 but then my image looks much worse a kind of blurry when you move around the track standing still looks fine. All other games have dynamic framerate running from 85 to 190 depending on cars tracks etc. Rf 2 seems to be the only that is totally static with fps so either 144 or 72. And it really does not matter how much I change in the graphic settings ulta high low mid nothing changes..

Then you still have vsync enabled somewhere, either in vid drivers or in the game; the fact that your lower fps is exactly half the upper fps shows that. Without vsync you would have a fluctuating fps between those values. It is usually better to let the vid card handle all such processing rather than the game, and never have any such items enabled in both the game and the vid drivers.

Then you still have vsync enabled somewhere, either in vid drivers or in the game; the fact that your lower fps is exactly half the upper fps shows that. Without vsync you would have a fluctuating fps between those values. It is usually better to let the vid card handle all such processing rather than the game, and never have any such items enabled in both the game and the vid drivers.
I really don't know what i did, but it works perfectly now. I deleted the configdx11 file and restarted, left the defaults and quit the game. Then entered my custom res 7680x1440 in the ini and started game.. taaaataaaa triples and fps of 115 to 144 (seems capped at 144) so really no idea what was happening before but it is working again now!

Thanks for all the help!!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back