FOV Calculators cant be right

There is something that has been bothering me for a while, ive read up on FOV in lots of articles and watched some youtube videos too. The premise is that an FOV calculation is suppose to set it up so that what you see on your monitor reflects a true 1:1 with the real world. I have a single 27" monitor and sitting (eye to center of monitor) 24 inches from the monitor which gives me a vFOV of 31 degrees. The monitor sits right behind my wheel so I have setup the virtual seating position to reflect this, so the cars dials look like they would look if they were right behind my logitech wheel. But the problem is this. The dashboard looks great but the virtual world is way too small to be 1:1. For example I've risked looking like a fool in traffic and held out my hands behind my steering wheel about the width of a 27 inch monitor and in traffic. When parked behind another car in the real world it totally fills that width of my hands, accounting for my cars bonnet/hood and that the car is a meter away from the bonnet. When parked behind a virtual car in my sim it does not fill the width of the monitor at the suggested 31 degrees. Neither does the pit "lollipop" man in assetto corsa on the nordschleife pits. Only if i drop my fov some 5-10 degrees do objects start to fill my monitor the way they would in real life. What is causing this, am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any advice

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.