rF2 Formula Renault 3.5 @ Bahrain International Circuit - Wednesday 9th December 2015

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Should anyone be without practice, then be informed:
For 30 minutes, 55L will be safely enough even with highest DF
For optimal temperatures and performance, radiator should be at 4 and brake duct planking open.

Fun battle mate. :) Could get used to that.

Thanks for all the others, hope this is a regular event. Thanks for hosting Daiman, was really good with no server issues.

Yep was a great race. Sad to get my butt whipped but hope a next F3.5 race comes soon so I can fix that!
Felt like running medium DF was a mistake, did a few laps after the race on High DF but was only marginally faster, probably not that big of an excuse then :) Or need to do some finetuning, was my first F3.5 race

Oh, and sorry for the first corner shove. I was trying to find which my "FFB reset" key, because my steering wheel was a bit limp. Next thing I knew we were already in the braking zone

Good race! Thanks all! :thumbsup:

And sorry Dewald for not giving you room the first time you lapped me. I just did'nt keep attention to beeing lapped so early in the race. :(

Was a bit of a struggle though (like for many races), but new car and new track and way to little practice/preparation. For some corners I started to find a decent racing line at around lap 10. I was so pumped up that I kept wondering why my DRS did'nt work in the race when it had worked during practice and off-line. Realised, thanks to Rudolph :thumbsup: that I was'nt in DRS range any time during the race.:redface:

Well, now at least I know the track a little better for fridays GT3 :D

Last edited:
it had been some years since I drove this car and had to relearn it. Without a setup to go with I only watched the tire temps and camber.
I should have read the forum to learn that the brake ducs should have been opened completely and not at the standard 20%. Brake failure 5 minutes before the end... Was 6th at that time.
Next time better.

Thanx for the fun race guys. Cya all next one. :)

Last edited:
it had been some years since I drove this car and had to relearn it. Without a setup to go with I only watched the tire temps and camber.
I should have read the forum to learn that the brake ducs should have been opened completely and not at the standard 20%. Brake failure 5 minutes before the end... Was 6th at that time.
Next time better.

Thanx for the fun race guys. Cya all next one. :)

Mine were on 30% closed, maybe you used a bit more brake pressure I guess (I used 92kg).

That's nothing, I can beat that.!!!
Ducts fully open, pressure at 72kg, and lost front left disk 2 laps from end.!!
It does take time with these cars to fully set them up.
The setup I used was the same for 60min race without issues.The difference this time was running ABS which can only mean I was too aggressive with braking!?:whistling:

That's nothing, I can beat that.!!!
Ducts fully open, pressure at 72kg, and lost front left disk 2 laps from end.!!
It does take time with these cars to fully set them up.
The setup I used was the same for 60min race without issues.The difference this time was running ABS which can only mean I was too aggressive with braking!?:whistling:

Amazing! :confused:

I think if you run with ABS on, and that low pressure, you spend a lot more time on the brakes continuously than without ABS and higher pressure. And I didn't brake at all for turn 6, just lift and gear down once, but I saw backmarkers braking there so maybe you did that as well. More corners spent braking during a lap will mean more brake wear.

But it's still odd nonetheless, last year we ran a series with these cars with 1 hour races and at Bahrain even I don't really remember anybody having these brake failures. I have seen this phenomenon in other racing series, though - even in rFactor 1.

Yeah the driving/braking techniques matters almost as much as the cooling.
Besides what Dewald mentioned, for all corners you need to micromanage your brake and instead of braking in the corner, trying to trailbrake lightly and coast more/drive through the corner with a tiny bit of gas instead. Thats where I found the most speed aswell. Especially if you are using ABS, you might get the desire to brake your way into the corner, hoping it also helps turn the car but bogs down more and ofcourse you use more of the pads. I struggled with it alot in RF1, driving into corners with high abs and both pedals pressed down took alot of getting rid of :)
Also lower DF makes you use brakes more aswell. But ingeneral weird indeed, Bahrain is a hard track for brakes and braking but it shouldnt be this rough, it was only about 29c aswell. I noticed that even with brake ducts totally open, i was never really staying within the 600c brake temperature that is stated as optimal, beyond which wear and fading increases.

It is pretty hard to break a brake within 30min. Drove a leauge this year with a race length beyond 45min and never ran into brake problems.
I dont know how ABS handles it exactly in rF2. If it does reduce the brake pressure it shouldnt be that bad, but if it is somehow only avoiding lock ups while still generating the same amount of heat on the brakes it can be an issue

Brake trailing was pretty bad on the old car. I did warm up my brakes a lot on the formation lap for a club race at Fuji and with two laps to go had a brake failure in T1 at 300kph. With proper brake duct settings you should be fine for around 60min in that car maybe less at Bahrain. It has heavy stops but at least some straights to cool the brakes.

No problem @Daiman Patel
My fault ... I signed up very late so I didnt expect me on the sign up list :) but of course I joined the event and had a lot of fun.
I havent driven this car for a long time so it was very hard to adapt to it. But its a diversified event to the GT cars I normally drive. So I hope to see some more OW-Challenges in the future ;) Thx for setting this up :thumbsup:
*cough* Formula ISI *cough*

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea