rF2 Formula Ferrari 643 @ Silverstone - Mon 15th Dec

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
In Audi R8 Challenge topic was a talk about blue flags and maybe there is some confusion with multiclass endurance races. In "normal race" a racer who see blue flag and will be overlapped, has to make a room for faster guy(s) and not stay on his racing line.

Rule: ... A light blue flag, sometimes with a diagonal yellow, orange, or red stripe, informs a driver that a faster car is approaching and that the driver should move aside to allow one or more faster cars to pass ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_flags#Blue_flag

and: ... During a race, a light blue flag waved on the track warns the driver that he is about to be lapped by a faster car and must let it pass. A driver may incur penalties if he ignore three successive blue flags ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One_regulations#Flags
:thumbsup:

I hope blue flag will be allowed here, because I have a history of bad expiriences with formulas, where you can not flash lights to tell a guy in front of you, he will be overlapped :).

Last edited:
At these speeds do you really want a slower driver making an unexpected move?

Blue flag is shown but not penalized. You can't un-lap yourself if it was. ;)

The faster driver have to overtake the slower driver as in a race situation.
The slower driver does not defend his position.

The "slower" driver doesn't not lift his throttle, move over or brake early until the 2 cars are side by side.

I think Matej has a valid point. We all need to understand that when being lapped that we are not racing for position and should not defend.
The challenge once that it is understood that we are not racing the car lapping us is how to facilitate a safe pass.
I will write this as I have a lot of experienced being lapped and have had few if any problems.
Lately I have lapped afew so have seen it from both ends.

First we need to be aware its happening or about to happen.
Then, rather than panic and make unpredictable moves we need to think what will be a good spot for a clean pass.
Our RD rules make it clear that the overtaking car initiates the pass and that accelleration zones are preferred over braking zones.
What does initiate mean? I guess the faster car should have but wont always have a clear pace advantage. You might be 3 laps down but just taken on fresh tyres due to a repair. He might be managing tyres due to a different (longer stint) strategy. If you have enough pace to avoid blue flags or the ovetaking car getting close then great drive off into the distance. But if he gets within a couple of seconds you need to help by not racing him. It is very annoying and unfair if you decide to make a highlight of your 17th place in a race by fighting off the leader!

We also discussed why braking zones/corner entry are bad places for passing.
Both cars are braking at their limit. They cant turn, brake harder or brake less. Braking less means going off track or braking earlier which is dangerously unpredictable as you concertina. Both drivers are fully taxed with making the corner. What exactly can you do different? Nothing.
Net result no safe options.
So often such plans end with one or two cars parked in the kitty litter and their races harmed.
In an accelleration zone you have choices
. line, amount of acelleration, gear choice.
The cars are achieving more separation anyway due to concertina effect.
Without making any sudden or gross moves in these areas, the slightest of lifts or even a short shift will facilitate a pass. If you have more than 2 secs lead you can safely change line but dont slow to a crawl, just lift a touch. If you have less than 2 sec the overtaking driver will need to telegraph his plans with a clear move. When he does, play ball with a slight lift when you are not in front of him.

We are blessed with some of the fastest drivers in the sim world here at RD and they welcome all levels of driver. To co exist on the track we need to do this part well.
If we do, then neither driver has their race harmed. A well executed move should cost you 2 sec lap time.

While I understand the cause for concern while overtaking lapped cars in the braking zones, I have had more success passing (and being passed by) cars in the heavier braking zones at the end of a long straight. When being lapped I brake at the same point as I usually do but just take the outside line through the turn allowing the lapper to have the inside line. It all comes down to whether or not you know or trust the guy your are passing/being passed by. I always found passing on the exit to be tricky because when I'm coming out of the turn, I'm hard on the gas and if someone slows too much to let me by, I would have to take evasive actions. I get it though, if someone doesn't brake in time, it could all end badly whereas there is less chance for chaos when doing it on the exit. If you find yourself lapping me in a race tho, I will allow you the inside line at the next heavy braking zone and fall back in behind on the exit, losing minimal time for both of us :)

While I understand the cause for concern while overtaking lapped cars in the braking zones, I have had more success passing (and being passed by) cars in the heavier braking zones at the end of a long straight. When being lapped I brake at the same point as I usually do but just take the outside line through the turn allowing the lapper to have the inside line. It all comes down to whether or not you know or trust the guy your are passing/being passed by. I always found passing on the exit to be tricky because when I'm coming out of the turn, I'm hard on the gas and if someone slows too much to let me by, I would have to take evasive actions. I get it though, if someone doesn't brake in time, it could all end badly whereas there is less chance for chaos when doing it on the exit. If you find yourself lapping me in a race tho, I will allow you the inside line at the next heavy braking zone and fall back in behind on the exit, losing minimal time for both of us :)
I think Nate illustrates why the Race Dept rule of hold your line (Not defend) is so good. Everybody is different.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.