Cars Ferrari 312B wip (feedback thread)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
For sound you could use the Kunos 312T soundbank. After all, it's the same engine.
Speaking about the engine, you might find this data by Forghieri useful

For sound you could use the Kunos 312T soundbank. After all, it's the same engine.
Yes that is true. It's just that I don't like the 312T sound very much, it sounds way different to the real thing imo. My sound is worse atm but I aim to improve it. And there's some differences to the engines in terms of bore/stroke and exhaust ;)

I have never seen that data before, very interesting (I'm very interested in racing engines) Thanks alot for sharing it. According to this the engine gave alot more power than I thought already in 1970 :sneaky:

Last edited:
You have done very serious 3D work, the shapes of this beautiful car are very successful !
Maybe check the size of the rear rims ? On the other hand, the design of the firestone tyres is perfect, congratulations for the details ! It remains to make beautiful rims of the same level!
The engine too! I like the sound which is far from perfect but it should be kept and improved because it is closer to the real sound. It remains of course to continue your work but it is an excellent start!!
A small precision, the wraparound windscreen was only used by Ickx and Giunti and never by Regazzoni who had a simple windscreen, you can check it on the period photos.
Congratulations again for your work! Sorry my english is not perfect !!!

Last edited:
It is already a beautiful mod. There are only a few details that clash like the steering wheel, the mirrors and the coloring of the textures and the skin but it is only a wip. Maybe a bit of understeer compared to the other mods of the period but these are all problems that I imagine will be corrected. Keep it up and please finish it because you have already supplanted some self-proclaimed expert modders.

You have done very serious 3D work, the shapes of this beautiful car are very successful !
Maybe check the size of the rear rims ? On the other hand, the design of the firestone tyres is perfect, congratulations for the details ! It remains to make beautiful rims of the same level!
The engine too! I like the sound which is far from perfect but it should be kept and improved because it is closer to the real sound. It remains of course to continue your work but it is an excellent start!!
A small precision, the wraparound windscreen was only used by Ickx and Giunti and never by Regazzoni who had a simple windscreen, you can check it on the period photos.
Congratulations again for your work! Sorry my english is not perfect !!!
Thank you! The 3d model is credited to RCC Design, I have only made modifications to it. I will try to fine tune all the details. I don't know if I can use different windscreens for different drivers, but it would be cool if possible. Thanks for your review :)

Lovely project, thanks for bringing it to AC. Looking forward to seeing it develop further :)

I have a super important piece of feedback that is an essential fix to make this a 5 star mod...

The prancing horse decal on the steering wheel is the wrong way around.
Yes this car deserves a mod. I will try my best to make it worthy the car.

Haha thank you for the mentioning the decal, it was mirrored! It's corrected now ;)

It is already a beautiful mod. There are only a few details that clash like the steering wheel, the mirrors and the coloring of the textures and the skin but it is only a wip. Maybe a bit of understeer compared to the other mods of the period but these are all problems that I imagine will be corrected. Keep it up and please finish it because you have already supplanted some self-proclaimed expert modders.
Thank you for your kind words! I will try to fine-tune everything over time! :)

I agree Emil, I always felt the sound not to be what the actual car sounded like. I was up at Road America for a Vintage weekend and this car was there and oh it sounded sooooooo good. I hope you can find some good sound samples of the car and go from there. Very excited about your project!

Thank you, Dale

I agree Emil, I always felt the sound not to be what the actual car sounded like. I was up at Road America for a Vintage weekend and this car was there and oh it sounded sooooooo good. I hope you can find some good sound samples of the car and go from there. Very excited about your project!

Thank you, Dale
Yeah exactly. Yes it sounds amazing in real life! I saw the Ferrari 312B2 at Anderstorp classic grand prix some years ago and that sound kickstarted my passion for old f1 cars =)

The hardest thing to find is a good recording of the high revs. On all modern recordings, they tend to save the engines and shift at 9-10k instead of 12k. Which is understandable :)

Last edited:
For the engine you are on the right track I think. For the car looking at the photos attached, as I have already written I think there is something to do for the size of the rims and rear tire especially which could be a little wider and the front and rear rims slightly smaller, that's what I see but maybe not everyone agrees ! Sorry, I give advice in front of my screen but I know it's hard work to make a car! ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_ferrari_312b_spa_2-8-122-19-34-46.jpg
    Screenshot_ferrari_312b_spa_2-8-122-19-34-46.jpg
    936.5 KB · Views: 69
I think there is something to do for the size of the rims and rear tire especially which could be a little wider and the front and rear rims slightly smaller, that's what I see but maybe not everyone agrees !
I studied pictures a lot making the RSS Formula 70. One confounding factor I know of in this era is that the 1970 tires are a lot taller than 1975 tires (as well as switched from grooved to slicks). So cars like this that spanned that entire time use a variety of tires in period, and a lot of the time modern "vintage" classes use the smaller size.

I studied pictures a lot making the RSS Formula 70. One confounding factor I know of in this era is that the 1970 tires are a lot taller than 1975 tires (as well as switched from grooved to slicks). So cars like this that spanned that entire time use a variety of tires in period, and a lot of the time modern "vintage" classes use the smaller size.
I totally agree, never take vintage cars as a reference ! That's why I posted pictures of the original car from 1970.

I have noticed the same thing. I think they even used different tire dimensions for different tracks. Narrower tires for less drag/friction at tracks like Monza. I have made the diameter of the rear wheels a bit smaller for the next update. Thanks for your comments =)

There is another dimension issue, as it is too small compared to the 312B2 and the Lotus 72. Have you checked the dimensions?
Or is it the others who are wrong?

Attachments

• Dimensions 312 B.jpg
    Dimensions 312 B.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
There is another dimension issue, as it is too small compared to the 312B2 and the Lotus 72. Have you checked the dimensions?
Or is it the others who are wrong?
I'm using the correct wheelbase for the suspension data at least. And then I have matched the size of the car to the wheel nodes, using the 'align with data' function in cm showroom. So it should be pretty close to the correct size I believe. Maybe check those cars in the cm showroom and se if it matches. I'm not aware of any other method to check the size. But there might be a better way? =)

And for this to make sense, it has to be the correct wheelbase in the suspension.ini file ofc. What I mean is they may have matched it to the wrong wheelbase.

Attachments

• wheelbase.jpg
    wheelbase.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Indeed if I compare in the showroom with other cars from 1970 which actually have the same wheelbase, (the 917 is even a few cm shorter), it matches, so I think you are the one who is right!

Attachments

• Sans titre 11.jpg
    Sans titre 11.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 69

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering