F1 2011 Faster with ABS off?

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Full disclosure I'm not reporting a bug that abs off is technically quicker or easier.

I would just like to know if anyone has a preference to drive with abs off because they can drive faster?
With abs off I find I can attack the braking zones alot more, with it on it feels like the game holds back the full capabilities of your cars brakes in order to avoid lock-up, whereas with abs off you feel the brakes alot more.
Also let's me use brake strength high which gives ultimate control(though you have to be very careful!)
This doesn't apply in the wet obviously because it is far easier to lock.
Anyone else feel this way?

Yup. After recovering from a savegame corruption, I was re-doing TT at Australia and set a fairly decent time - quicker than my last PB, and although I had no ghost or time set in the game, the old time was still on the Leaderboard and I knew I had gone a bit faster.

Went to check the leaderboard had updated properly, and realised the assist symbol was illuminated! I always drive without assists. Checked assists and after deleting my previous settings, the game had automatically set me up with ABS and medium TCS. I was gutted - thinking how am i gonna go faster without assists to wipe that time off the boards.

Within 2 laps and switching off all assists, I managed to go faster again, and it didnt even feel like a quick lap, so with a bit more effort, I will go faster again for sure.

TC just slows your exit down - its far better to feather the throttle for perfect launch - hard to master.
ABS - again, you just lose the feeling in the braking zone, and takes away the fun. Done correctly, I know you can brake more effectively without it.

It all depends on the implementation of the ABS/TC in the game. As far as I know, this year assisted cars are virtually sandbagged, in order to level a bit the field between people using them or not. In this case, it is perfectly possible to be faster without aids (although probably not even near as reliable).

IRL, and with a decent tuning of the ABS or TC systems, the most that a human can do is to be on par with a system that can sample the adherence levels, correct the mechanical input and resample again in less time than it takes the brain of the driver to realize something was ever wrong.

I have just started to use Manual Gears with ABS off and have noticed that I can brake way later into the corners and stop much quicker with the ABS off.
I do have Traction Control system on Full though, and I'm wondering if it plays any roll in it?

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%