Fanatec BMW rim snapped in half wtf....

tTvPJzT.jpg

Upvote 0
That does not look like it's had normal steering forces applied to it. Who pulls a wheel towards themselves? I'd have thought the QR or wheel base would have been damaged before the wheel was, unless it was an DD/OSW spindle.
What happened to the BMW badge as well?

Very weird. Be interested to hear what Fanatec say about this.

Upvote 0
That does not look like it's had normal steering forces applied to it. Who pulls a wheel towards themselves? I'd have thought the QR or wheel base would have been damaged before the wheel was, unless it was an DD/OSW spindle.
What happened to the BMW badge as well?

Very weird. Be interested to hear what Fanatec say about this.

Well it felt weaker and weaker over time and finally gave away. I modified the BMW badge with

Upvote 0
Something is flawed in the construction of your BMW wheel. or Fanatec found a way to make the wheel cheaper at the expense of quality. It should be as strong as real steeringwheel (as advertised).
Strong enough that you would break the base or quickrelease before the wheel snaps in two.

Got e few prototype wheels made of MDF, they are strong enough to survive a OSW/Big mige.
I would contact Fanatec. If they reject your wheel we all take it out on Thomas J.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I've heard from a few people using converted Fanatec rims on OSW that they are not that robust to withstand DD wheel torque long term.
Wondering how this is going to work out with Fanatec own DD1 and esp. more powerful DD2.

Upvote 0
I've heard from a few people using converted Fanatec rims on OSW that they are not that robust to withstand DD wheel torque long term.
Wondering how this is going to work out with Fanatec own DD1 and esp. more powerful DD2.

Whys that?
Are we to assume their rims are not as good or inferior to how they are made to say the basic rim that comes with the SimXperience wheel?

Fanatec's recent community event did not seem to cause any issues with rims. In which they allowed invited DD wheel owners from the community to come and directly test their DD wheels over several hours.

They did so with ALL their rims and not only that, but also had a crop of the most popular wheelbases modified to also use their rims for 1:1 comparisons as well.

Including:
  • SimXperience Wheel V2
  • OSW
  • Bodner

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Whys that?
Are we to assume their rims are not as good or inferior to how they are made to say the basic rim that comes with the SimXperience wheel?

Fanatec's recent community event did not seem to cause any issues with rims. In which they allowed invited DD wheel owners from the community to come and directly test their DD wheels over several hours.

They did so with ALL their rims and not only that, but also had a crop of the most popular wheelbases modified to also use their rims for 1:1 comparisons as well.

Including:
  • SimXperience Wheel V2
  • OSW
  • Bodner
Agreed. All the current-gen Fanatec rims I've used seem to be rock-solid, and the BMW one is the heaviest (ergo, strongest?) of the lot. I don't think this is a widespread issue. It's the first I've ever heard of a Fanatec rim snapping, although the lightweight plastic McLaren GT3 rim is acknowledged to be the weakest of the current lineup so caution is advised when used with a DD wheel.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea