False CPU reading in benchmark!?

I was benchmarking Assetto Corsa to see what different settings did. I had things like MSAA and anisotropic filtering turned on and I had multithreaded loading turned on. With all these on, I was getting an FPS of 53 tops and CPU read 83. I turned all of them off and my FPS went up to 60, but, my CPU went up to 93! Why? What could have been causing that much load!?

My PC is this:

AMD FX6300 6 core
Asus Strix GTX960 4gb
1366 x768 monitor with 60hz refresh
16gb RAM

To complicate things, I opened task manager when the benchmark was running and it reported CPU usage of only 40%.

pI7eQ9m.jpg

What do I believe!? Is the benchmark giving false readings?

This guy has the same processor and graphics card as me and I set my settings like his as much as I could. His resolution is what mine will be when I get my new monitor. Currently I'm at 1366x768 with a 60hz refresh rate.

Why are his CPU readings a lot less when we have the same CPU and graphics card!?

I'd love to know what is happening here.

Last edited:
Of course that was with the benchmark with a full grid at Spa, the last reading taken after I'd been round Deutschlandring on my own was 99.3. Right, stuff counting FPS, I'm just going to drive and enjoy it from now on!

I feel like such a numpty!

I realised what had been killing my fps. I had my motion blur turned all the way up! DOH, turned that off and things are way better. Even more so after reading this thread:

https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...r-frame-rates-with-cpu-gpu-optimising.162324/

I made the adjustments in there and they went up again. Oddly, I found I got 1fps more if I turned on vertical sync.

One other thing you can all do if you haven't already, and it won't harm performance, is to max your rendering distance. One thing I always found jarring and fake looking in racing games was exiting a bend into something that hadn't been drawn yet. With the render distance maxed you can see the horizon everywhere and anywhere, even in LA Canyons. Endless vistas await, go get 'em!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.