Alright when was that again.....?

Seeing Vettel land at McLaren isn't the craziest scenario one can imagine. I think it would be great - can you imagine that pairing fighting for wins and even championships? Talk about a story line, wow!
I guess that would be the logical one, especially when we see that McLaren have ex-champion fetish, in the midfield they have the right tools for post 2022, also even for 2021 with Merc engine they should be in hunt for a couple of podiums.
btw AstonMartion have the potential of being the dark horse in 2021 season as there will be a development freeze in some areas (between 2020 and 2021 season) and they already have the W10 mercedes for their 2020 season lol

I find it hard to place Vettel anywhere in F1 right now.

He would not go back to Red Bull and play second fiddle to Max, and so both Red Bull and Scudaria AlphaTauri whatever they're called these day are out.

Since parting with Alonso, McLaren have invested in two young drivers and are progressing well. I don't see them abandoning that project for Vettel to come in, especiallyy given a. Vettel's coming to the end of his F1 racing days and is off the boil, b. Sainz and Norris have proven themselves and are the future. c. It didn't work out well with Alonso .

Neither AlfaSauber, Racing Pink, or Haas have the money.

He would not go to Williams. If they were his only option i think we'd quicker see him in LMP or DTM.

Which leaves Renault or Mercedes. So how could that play out?

Well, one obvious answer is Ricciardo goes to Maranello and Seb joins Renault. It's likely Vettel would get on with Prost, at least to begin with, and Daniel would relish the thought of driving for Ferrari, but ... do they want him?

But. And here's the really juicy option..... If Lewis want's to win a title for Ferrari, now would be the time for him to make the switch. YES... i know Lewis is very happy at Mercedes, and YES i know he has a good two or three more WDC to be had if he stays there. But hear me out on this one.

Lewis could win a shortened 2020 WDC and equal Michael's record ( not a stretch to acknowledge he could easily already have 8 titles) but there's a good chance end of 2020 he'll have seven. That said, the current Ferrari is not far off the current Merc, depending on circuit demands of traction, aero, straighline speed, the normal early part of the season favours the Ferrari, and a few races in the 3/4, while the midseason and tail end favour the Merc. But... with no changes in tech / spec regs for 2021. It's likel the disparity between the two teams will eather remain the same, or reduce, nett result, Lewis in a Ferrari would be just as quick, if not quicker than Bottas and Ocon in a Merc.

Lewis is probabl going to equal Michael's record, and, being the only driver in 20 years to win WDC with more than one team, if he moved to Ferrari and managed to win the 2021 WDC he'd become only the second driver to win WDC in more than two teams, the other being Fangio.

There's no doubt Lewis would want to drive for Ferrari at some point, what driver doesn't want to do that, and he likely imagined it would be in three or four years. But.... if he goes now he has the best chance of getting a WDC for the Scuderia before the big 2022 changes. If he waits, then chances are Ferrari will sign someone else and the seat taken for a while, and, in 2022 Ferrari could be on the back foot.

Leaving Mercedes at the end of 2020 would be walking away from a great thing, and a HUGE move, but let's not forget Lewis walked away from McLaren when they were a winning team, and Mercedes was not. I suppose it all depends how much he want's to become one of onl two drivers to win WDC in three teams, and imho 2021 would be his best chance of acheiving that.

If Binotto gets on the phone to Lewis, and he tells Toto he's off, will Toto then call Seb to fill the seat? Or promote Ocon?

Finally...jeez, it took a Leclerc to get this washed up wannabe Schumacher out of Ferrari, treated his teammates like sideh*es and in return never won a championship in Ferrari.

Personally I want Ricciardo in Ferrari, he is the only driver capable of extracting something out of that Ferrari with Leclerc.
Sainz was meh in Toro Rosso and Renault, everyone knows that Lando is slow and even if Sainz makes it to Ferrari, Lando might as well start looking for a seat in Formula-E if he can't even finish a virtual F1 race.
Hope Bottas gets booted from Mercedes and George takes his place before the regs change for 2022.
About Hulk, man's been out for a year at this point, last year he said he doesn't want just any seat, now he says he'll take what's available.
To Ferrari? If Ferrari has taken drugs yeah, that might happen.

Saw someone say 'Perez deserves this!' and couldn't have disagreed more so I kept my mouth shut at the time. The fun choice would be Ricciardo but there hasn't been a fun driver move in years so I won't hold my breath.

Hamilton to Ferrari, Vettel to Mercedes?
Unless Hamilton has fallen out with Mercedes or knows inside information about a possible Mercedes exit from the sport... that'd be a silly move.
The object is to win.
He's doing that.
Ferrari' all conquering ability has been dashed by Mercedes over the past few years.
Mercedes is also a very reputable marque.
Driving for the 'red' team would and should be your priority only if you are in a lesser car or team....he isn't.

I can see Vettel retiring from the sport.
What is there left to do after a Ferrari drive... without a swap to Mercedes?
Anything else at this point, would be seen as a demotion.
He has four WDC...a young family he probably misses....lots of assets.
Why not?

I think some people on here are being a little too hard on Vettel. He is still a very good driver but he's had enough of being in the team he's in. He's maybe been there one year too long.

The only driver in recent times that I can think of that hasn't been effected by the Ferrari F1 "Machine" is Shumacher and that was largely because he was very clever and built the team he wanted around him and only for him. Alonso was effected the same way, they simply have enough of all the BS.

Seb's character last year reminds me of how Massa was starting to become before he left the team, he's becoming tired of all the politics and baggage that this team brings. So if he decides to retire, then fair enough but I think if he manages to land a seat in a team with a fresh environment and he's made to feel welcome again he'll shine. I'm not talking about just F1, it could be anything. Indycar, WEC, even something like GT3. He does seem to love his racing, regardless of what it is.

Ferrari haven't made a great car for the last three or four years now, they are good but have required extensive re-designs and so on to correct major mistakes in their designs. If you are gunning for a championship you want a great car out of the box. At the moment Ferrari can't deliver that I'm afraid. Don't forget that Ferrari have made lots of mistakes in strategy and also reliability in the last few years that have certainly cost Seb wins and good results. So it's not all on Seb's side that the partnership didn't go well. He has made mistakes too that's for sure, I'm not denying that.

The other thing to remember and I've heard this numerous times now. He is not a fan of the hybrid cars, he prefers the atmospheric V8's or V10's much more and I don't think he's enjoyed the Pirelli tyre model in recent years either. Those big black tyres make a huge difference to how a driver can control and drive the car and the Ferrari's of recent years just haven't delivered what he wants handling wise.

So I can understand why he wants to move on, he's just not getting the car he wants and maybe behind the scenes the support from the team has gone as well.

Just remember, the pressure will be on Charles to deliver now, it was almost fun for him last year, now it's very serious. If Ferrari have got their sums wrong for 2020 (what's left of it) then the pressure will start to land on his shoulders too, so it will be interesting to see how he copes.

As for who would replace him? That's a real shot in the dark. Some good ideas on here but there's also numerous Ferrari Academy drivers who could take his place. However Charles is still early in his career so they may opt for a more experienced driver like Danny. There's no point in Danny staying at Renault if he wants to win again. In recent years Renault just can't make it as a works team, they try but the sums never add up.

Danny,the perfect and logical choice,he is Aussie but rich Italian heritage.

It would be a dream for this Aussie to see him achieve his dreams at Ferrari.

Imagine him speaking to the fans at Monza in their native tongue,he would be a cult hero.

Please (begs on hands and knees) make it happen.
Please don't make it happen, he will never win a championship in a Ferrari. He has just as much chance of winning the WDC at Renault as he has at Ferrari. Ferrari couldn't get laid in a brothel.

Oh god no, Ferrari is a poisoned chalice.

I'm a fan of Ferrari and most F1 teams and drivers including the young Frenchmen. But Ferrari is cursed.....Think really hard about it. Ferrari just stalls great drivers careers. Only Kimi was able to pull off a Championship and lets face it that was buy 1 point and I think it was because Hamilton hit the wrong switch late in the race that stalled the car allowing Kimi to slip in by a point. If I recall correctly?? Think about whats happened to all Ferrari Drivers since M. S. left.

Just saying......

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back