F1 | Spanish Grand Prix to Return to Jerez?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Word on the street has it that the Spanish Grand Prix could possibly switch to Jerez in 2021.

Having looked dangerously close to dropping from the Grand Prix schedule until a last minute reprise for next year was agreed, it now seems that the Circuito de Jerez – Ángel Nieto could be in line to host the Spanish round of the Formula One World Championship from 2021.

Having last held a Grand Prix during the now infamous 1997 title decider, a race famous for the deliberate foul performed by Ferrari driver Michael Schumacher on Williams' Jacques Villeneuve, Jerez could be about to make a surprise return to Formula One from 2021, according to reports in local Spanish media.

Schumi Cheating at Jerez.jpg

As the Spanish round of the season is only confirmed at Barcelona for next season, recent reports suggest a deal is at an advanced stage of negotiation as the region look to bring Formula One back to Jerez for 2021, 22 and 23 - something Jerez de la Frontera Mayor Mamen Sanchez confirmed in an interview with local publication Diario de Jerez;

“The council has been working for the past two years so that Formula 1 returns to Jerez" said Sanchez to the paper.​

Although nothing is formally agreed, Diario de Jerez believe an agreement in principle may have been signed by the circuit and Liberty Media.

Despite the obvious good news for both the region and Spanish fans in general, Sanchez is disappointed news of the negotiations have become public knowledge, and hopes the leak won't negatively impact the ongoing discussions with Formula One;

I want to issue a reminder that we have a confidentiality agreement and I hope and wish that any ambition to release this news does not frustrate the negotiations,” Sanchez added.​

Good news for Spanish fans, and another positive move to bring an historic circuit back onto the Formula One calendar - looking forward to seeing how modern Grand Prix race cars perform at this underrated and enjoyable circuit.

Link to the full Diario de Jerez article (in Spanish) HERE.

Forgot how good the track is? Check this on-board lap with Formula V8 3.5 driver Alfonso Celis Jnr from 2015:

Post a thread in the Formula One sub forum and ask our get yourself engaged with our awesome and knowledgeable community here at RaceDepartment.

Formula One is AWESOME!

Jerez F1 Return 2.jpg

Last edited:

Jimlaad43

Nice apex, I'll take it!
Staff
Premium
Ugh, if you think F1 cars can't race and overtake around Barcelona, Jerez is going to be even worse. Short straights and fast corners before the second one will not allow anyone to follow, and DRS will have no effect here. It'll be like Hungary but worse.

Face it, Spain has great tracks for bike racing, but nothing suitable for good F1 racing. Valencia (permanent) is extremely boring, Valencia Street got away with 2012 being one of the greatest Grand Prix ever somehow but that was a one-off. Jerez doesn't have long enough straights, Jarama is too small, Navarra is Grade 2 and I don't know much about Aragon so I can't really comment, but it doesn't strike me as great.

Face it Spain, your best circuit for F1 is Algarve, and that's in Portugal.

Ugh, if you think F1 cars can't race and overtake around Barcelona, Jerez is going to be even worse. Short straights and fast corners before the second one will not allow anyone to follow, and DRS will have no effect here. It'll be like Hungary but worse.

Face it, Spain has great tracks for bike racing, but nothing suitable for good F1 racing. Valencia (permanent) is extremely boring, Valencia Street got away with 2012 being one of the greatest Grand Prix ever somehow but that was a one-off. Jerez doesn't have long enough straights, Jarama is too small, Navarra is Grade 2 and I don't know much about Aragon so I can't really comment, but it doesn't strike me as great.

Motorland Aragon would be perfect for F1

That's even worse. I don't get why they're still going to Spain anyways. Alonso is gone so attendance rates will be lower, and the tracks are made for bike racing. If anything, Aragon would probably be the best choice for F1 in Spain.

my home track, still have to admit this track is not prepared for something more than a euro F3 - F3.5, cant imagine F1 around jerez when they are 2m wide

Aragon probably would be the best for F1 if only because it's just another boring Tilkedrome and therefore it has the signature Tilke long ass back straight.

Jimlaad43

Nice apex, I'll take it!
Staff
Premium
Aragon probably would be the best for F1 if only because it's just another boring Tilkedrome and therefore it has the signature Tilke long ass back straight.
There's nothing wrong with a long straight, it allows overtaking. Jerez doesn't have one which is why it sucks.

first the should look how 2021 specc cars work in realistic condition with tyre stratagy and all the other things than they can think of changing tracks

The Hungary race was really good this year.

you know the 2021 rules are based on better following?

The track looks fun, I'm for it - change of pace if nothing else.

Not every track needs to be super pass-friendly, IMO. Let's get the aero fixed and then I think people won't be so convinced we need only tracks with 3+ heavy brake zones.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 95 18.6%
  • €151-500

Votes: 137 26.8%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 87 17.0%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 44 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 50 9.8%
  • €3001-5000