F1 Quiz Game

I'll have a stab again then Jamie Fluke

Today, it's something that every open wheeler driver wears, but it was not the case in the early years of, well, motorsport in particular.

So, who was the first guy to use a full face helmet in F1? Also name when and where did the driver used it.

Funnily enough, I learned this just the other day while reading my encyclopedia of F1. It was Dan Gurney at the 1968 german grand prix at the nurburgring where Jackie Stewart won by over four minutes. I think Gurney also started the tradition of spraying champagne :p

Funnily enough, I learned this just the other day while reading my encyclopedia of F1. It was Dan Gurney at the 1968 german grand prix at the nurburgring where Jackie Stewart won by over four minutes. I think Gurney also started the tradition of spraying champagne :p

It is nice to learn stuff, and you're correct on everything. Well done :)

Now remember, you either ask or pass. It is your turn.

This is a nice question.. When was Lewis Hamilton's first Formula One retirement due to a technical problem? And a bonus point for what was wrong with the car :)
Good question this. One that I shall guess with little confidence. If I remember rightly he retired in Abu Dhabi with a car failure in 2009, not sure what the problem was. I watched parts of the season review that was on Sky a while back and I remember him retiring there. Can't think of what the issue was though.

Good question this. One that I shall guess with little confidence. If I remember rightly he retired in Abu Dhabi with a car failure in 2009, not sure what the problem was. I watched parts of the season review that was on Sky a while back and I remember him retiring there. Can't think of what the issue was though.

Correct! He had a problem with his right rear brake so they had to retire him.

Jack Brabham('59-60), Ayrton Senna('88, 90), Michael Schumacher('94, '01), Alain Prost('89, '93), Niki Lauda('77, '84) and Jackie Stewart('69, '71) Obviously not full list of titles, but I think that's the correct list.

Can I cheat myself in and come up with a question I don't have an answer to?
It will be out of line, but I think your the right people to ask.

For a contest in my motorsports mag, I need the driver wearing this helmet:
unknown driver.jpg

If you don't know him, ANY GUESS would still be highly appreciated as I would guess anyway!
The top "circle" is red and the same goes for the bottom bar. The one in between has some greenish khaki/olive tone but the picture could well fool me.
Neither ...ARDS (driver name?) nor the BARCLAY sponsorship could help me much.
One more thing about this driver: He did compete in one (or more) F1 GPs but never did win. In case this helps...

Thank you very much for your efforts and sorry for bashing in on this thread:)

The Barclay sponsorship still seems to be the most helpful clue to me. According to http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/spon-009.html they sponsored Arrows from 1984-1986, Williams from 1987-1990 and Jordan in 1992 and 1993.
The rollhoop and type of helmet means its in the early to mid-80s. That means Arrows, which leaves four drivers: Marc Surer, Thierry Boutsen, Christian Danner and Gerhard Berger. The latter has won a Grand Prix, so he's out. Surer and Danner are Swiss/Austrian and your magazine is in German, plus the helmet colors match with the national flags. Unfortunately their regular helmets look different, but maybe its a special helmet? Or maybe some test driver who was driving for Arrows but did not participate in a GP for them?

But I suppose Barclay could also be a personal sponsor, in which case the above would be misleading ;)

@ Both: Thank you!:notworthy:

Markus Neumann I had the same clue about the sponsor and also came to Arrows. Berger and Boutsen won, and the helmets of Surer and Danner are very different.
Maybe the helmet is from the late 70s?

Unfortunately their regular helmets look different, but maybe its a special helmet? Or maybe some test driver who was driving for Arrows but did not participate in a GP for them?

Don't be mislead about the German mag, as I am looking for twelve drivers, of whom I found eleven till now. The helmet designs shall be unique and, unlike today, stand as a symbol for the older drivers.
He needs to have attended one GP minimal, so a test driver is out.

Rokas Charlapavicius The upper picture is great. Didn't find it, only pictures he was wearing a different helmet. Colors are "wrong", but it has these bars with the "(sharp) pointing ends".
How did you come to him without much searching?

All after all, Guy Edwards would've been my person to guess. But I still have time until 01/08/13, so maybe anyone can confirm?

EDIT:
Wohooo:cool: I could have found this picture earlier^^
http://onlyhdwallpapers.com/wallpap...lution_desktop_5502x3819_wallpaper-229565.jpg
Thanks both!

Andreas Scholz
First name that shot to my mind was Guy Edwards. He was one of the guys who helped to save Niki Lauda in Nurburgring in some year (6th text line in your picture suggests that this might be the case).

That's Edwards in a Hesketh, Zolder 1976. The helmet looks very similar.

20120507121621_00094_-_guy_edwards_-_hesketh_308_d_-_zolder_1976.jpg
Wow, damn good guess. And perhaps more importantly: that is one awesome car livery. They don't make 'em like that any more :D

Scott passed his turn, so one of you can go for it. And thanks again!

12 out of 12 drivers identifficated. Now let's see what I will win.
Will check the drivers for race wins and pictures within the next days to be on the safe side.
Rokas Charlapavicius In my pic you see Niki Lauda? Wrong upload?:D

Rokas Charlapavicius In my pic you see Niki Lauda? Wrong upload?:D

No :roflmao:. I though: Niki (most likely Lauda) is mentioned in the article (that what the arrow is for), so I though "this article might be about Lauda's crash and guy in the picture might be one of Lauda's rescuers" (the other arrow). Then I searched for the pictures of each of them ("them" - are the guys who saved Lauda) and there you go - I found it. So, with those arrows I just tried to show the connection of the things I saw in the picture.
Of course, I have no idea what the article is really about...:) . Might be just an epic coincidence.

Edit: obviously, Niki Lauda is not the roll-over bar :roflmao: (that's where the arrow is pointing, probably should have been pointing the other way round).

Anyway, moving on...

My question: Name the hottest GP's ever in terms of air temperature (there is a three way tie for this record, so the answer should contain 3 GP's)

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 30 16.2%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • Thursday

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • Friday

Votes: 67 36.2%
  • Saturday

Votes: 103 55.7%