F1 Half Term Report: Rate the Grid - Esteban Ocon

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Rate the Grid - Esteban Ocon .jpg

One of the most impressive rookies of 2017, Esteban Ocon is performing at a very high level this season for Force India.

Having found himself parachuted into the Force India team at the expense of early courters Renault, Esteban Ocon has done himself plenty of good with his performances throughout 2017.

Showing himself to have plenty of pace against more experienced opposition, Ocon has so far found himself very evenly matched in comparison to his much more experienced teammate Sergio Perez. Unfortunately in recent weeks cracks have started to appear between the two highly rated drivers, with contact between the two pink cars happening at a much higher frequency that would be seen as ideal by Force India management.

Ocon needs to temper some of his noteworthy pace with more intelligent decisions come race day, but with youth on his side the future remains very bright indeed for this highly talented Frenchman.

Vote now to tell us how you rate the first half of 2017 for Esteban Ocon, and leave a comment below!

For more from the world of Formula One, check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with our awesome community..

Rate the Grid - Esteban Ocon 1.jpg
Rate the Grid - Esteban Ocon 2.jpg
Rate the Grid - Esteban Ocon 3.jpg

A good driver, my favorite at Force India. Interested to see where he will be in 5 years.

Yeah agree on that. The boy got himself some skills and seems like the real deal already. Fully expecting to see him stay around for the long term and challenge up at the sharp end in years to come.

What price a resurgent Renault team headed up by a Frenchman in the next few years?

He's doing a great job especially considering this his first full season.
And one of the most genuinely nice guys on the grid
I gave him a 9, - points for Baku.

Last edited:
8. Very solid, expecially for a rookie. Him and Perez are very equally matched. As usual FI is getting everything out of their chassis for a fraction of the cost of other teams. Sould almost be given a 9 for driving a pink car...

Yeah agree on that. The boy got himself some skills and seems like the real deal already. Fully expecting to see him stay around for the long term and challenge up at the sharp end in years to come.

What price a resurgent Renault team headed up by a Frenchman in the next few years?

I agree. The biggest surprise on the grid. A solid talent and one that deserves to be there, unlike 33% of the field. Why are French drivers always massively talented on balance (Bourdais, Bianchi, Loeb, Grosjean, etc.)? That kid LeClerc is another prime example.

8. Very solid, expecially for a rookie. Him and Perez are very equally matched. As usual FI is getting everything out of their chassis for a fraction of the cost of other teams. Sould almost be given a 9 for driving a pink car...
gave him a solid 8 too. No 9 - by using a dark visior on his helmet the pink is not a problem any more, when driving it:).

• Deleted member 205301

Why are French drivers always massively talented on balance (Bourdais, Bianchi, Loeb, Grosjean, etc.)? That kid LeClerc is another prime example.
....well, Leclerc isn't french .... (unfortunately)
I have to say that I was one of these people who didn't believe "really" in Ocon skill.. I mean, I'm french, I saw him win my owntown GP (GP de Pau) in formula 3 , but, honestly, he didn't impressed me...A year latter, he won GP3, and I was still not impressed (yeah, I'm a bit difficult), then...His first "half season" in f1 was better than expected...
and this year He's fighting quasi at the same level with sergio perez...damn...I never though He could do this, so now i'm impressed ;)
@++
PS : only a 7 for me, cause he's everytime defeated by his teammate, even if it's "understandable".

9. He's kept close to Perez, which is pretty amazing considering how highly rated the Mexican is, but his incident at Baku was painful to watch as a Force India fan.

He's one of the most impressive drivers in the field. He's scored points so far on every occasions except Monaco.
Moreover, he's no retirements since his debut in Belgium last year, he has a chance to break Max Chilton's record of 25 races (Esteban has 20 up to now)
Despite his contact with his teammate Perez in Baku, I give him 9, for his efforts.

Reactions: Rob
man he is a good driver

only 1 race without scoring points with his 1st year on f1 (ok he has some races experience from last year on manor but anyway)

very interested to see if he will be in a top team in 3 years

we got a championship winning driver here

Reactions: Rob
8. He's basically done nothing wrong, but he needs to get as far away from Farce India as humanly possible. He also shouldn't be losing to Perez, even considering the fact that he has #2 status.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.