F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2017 Mac Release 4.jpg

Formula One 2017 has released today for Mac OS, bringing Codemasters latest Grand Prix game to yet another platform before the close of the current Formula One season.

Developed by Codemasters and brought to Mac OS by Feral Interactive, F1 2017 weighs in at a hefty 30+ GB and can be purchased from both the Apple Mac store, Steam and directly from Feral Interactive from around £45..

Containing all the features and content found in both the PC and console versions of the title, F1 2017 joins the slowly growing list of racing games on the alternative gaming platform and is available to purchase with immediate effect.

About the Game

Fully Realised Career Mode
Delve deeper than ever before into the new vehicle management features that require the player to balance resource to improve performance, keep the car reliable, and avoid punishing grid penalties.

Pick up and Play Multiplayer
With improved multiplayer matchmaking, new online stats and a levelling system, and all multiplayer session types will allow the option of racing either the 2017 cars or the classic cars.

12 Absolute Classics
The classic cars are integrated into the career mode, and can be raced in both Single Class and Multi Class Races. There are also new ‘invitational events’ with a variety of exciting gameplay modes that include: Overtake, Pursuit, Checkpoint Challenge and Time Attack.
  • 1988 McLaren MP4/4 *
  • 1991 McLaren MP4/6
  • 1992 Williams FW14B
  • 1995 Ferrari 412 T2
  • 1996 Williams FW18
  • 1998 McLaren MP4-13
  • 2002 Ferrari F2002
  • 2004 Ferrari F2004
  • 2006 Renault R26
  • 2007 Ferrari F2007
  • 2008 McLaren MP4 -23
  • 2010 Red Bull Racing RB6
  • * (DLC car in F1 2017 Special Edition)
Research and Develop
We’ve completely overhauled how you progress your team in career mode. Many more options available to upgrade.

Alternate Track Layouts
A first for the franchise, as well as the 20 official circuits, there are four additional track variants added to the game.

Formula One 2017 is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC and Mac right now.

F1 2017 Mac Release 1.jpg
F1 2017 Mac Release 3.jpg
F1 2017 Mac Release 2.jpg

For more news, community chat and some pretty awesome online racing action, check out the links below;

F1 2017 Sub Forum
F1 2017 Racing Clubs and Leagues
F1 2017 Modding Forum
F1 2017 Community Car Setup Forum

Do you use Mac for playing games? How do you find the platform in comparison to traditional Windows PC's? Happy to see F1 2017 on Mac? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
im surprised the macs have enough graphical power...:confused::notworthy:

Well, I play Assetto Corsa on a 6 year old Mac laptop (2011 17" MacBook Pro) so yes they have enough power in the graphics department. I have to run with graphics set to medium and no reflections and generally only 16 cars on the grid (depending on car and track combination) but again we're talking a 6 year old laptop! Don't know why people keep assuming that Apple hardware is inferior. I've owned both Mac and PC hardware and in my personal experience Mac hardware has always outlasted any PC I've owned in terms of reliability and longevity (in terms of hardware failure).

Longevity is not an issue, if one is a gamer. One simply builds a new system and changers GFX card every new generation.

Admittedly my MAC mini is on 24/7 as media server
MAC's are still a poor choice for gaming ;-)

I have a 2006 Mac Pro (1,1) with Dual Xeons (recently updated with two X5365), 64 GB RAM and a GTX970.
Although it's 11 years old, it easily runs AC, rfactor 2, PCars 1 & 2 all with at least "high"-Graphics.
Only iRacing does not run without turning down Graphics to medium settings which is because the render thread of iRacing runs only on one core.
And I'm quite happy to get F1 2017 on my iMac as I want to see how well Feral got the Fanatec driver.

Well, I play Assetto Corsa on a 6 year old Mac laptop (2011 17" MacBook Pro) so yes they have enough power in the graphics department. I have to run with graphics set to medium and no reflections and generally only 16 cars on the grid (depending on car and track combination) but again we're talking a 6 year old laptop! Don't know why people keep assuming that Apple hardware is inferior. I've owned both Mac and PC hardware and in my personal experience Mac hardware has always outlasted any PC I've owned in terms of reliability and longevity (in terms of hardware failure).

Well i Play Assetto on a Six Year Old PC (with a Graphics card replaced over 3 years ago), that probably cost far less then half as much as your Mac. With graphics maxed out and any amount of Cars with 100+ fps.
The Thing with Mac is not the lack of power nor the reliability in my opinion. Apple is also awesome at User Friendly Designs and such Things. Its just the power you get for your Money that concerns me, you know what i mean?

I believe some people here have some misunderstanding why a Mac is more expensive than their custom PC.
First of all: If you compare a Mac with an equivalent PC from let’s say Dell then their isn’t that much of a price difference. (Fun fact: The upcoming iMac Pro will certainly be the lowest priced Workstation you can get!).
Don’t compare a Mac with your custom build PC. It’s like comparing a stock Porsche 911 with your custom build ring tool e.g BMW 3-Series. Unless you are nuts, you won’t use your ring tool on a daily basis.
So, the majority of the Mac users bought the Mac to get their work done (e.g. I’m a software developer for macOS and iOS) and not mainly to run games on them. And as sometimes space is limited there is no room for another box to run your sim.
So the compromise is to run sims on the Mac … which works great btw!

Last edited:
I have a 2006 Mac Pro (1,1) with Dual Xeons (recently updated with two X5365), 64 GB RAM and a GTX970.
Although it's 11 years old, it easily runs AC, rfactor 2, PCars 1 & 2 all with at least "high"-Graphics.
Only iRacing does not run without turning down Graphics to medium settings which is because the render thread of iRacing runs only on one core.
And I'm quite happy to get F1 2017 on my iMac as I want to see how well Feral got the Fanatec driver.
Modern MAC are just build out of PC part with their own MacOS. So porting a game to it should not be that difficult. Don't know how it is on the driver side for peripherals?

Modern MAC are just build out of PC part with their own MacOS. So porting a game to it should not be that difficult. Don't know how it is on the driver side for peripherals?

Just because it shares identical hardware it does not mean it’s easy to port, especially games!
For example (very mountain top view!)
Games on Windows use DirectX, DirectSound, and so on.
macOS (and iOS) use OpenGL or Metal for Graphics and AVFoundation for Audio.
And as you may expect they are not API-compatible, so you have to convert lot’s of code just to use 3D-Hardware-Acceleration.
But this is just the most obvious difference. As games are very performance dependent the language of choice is C or C++ which are available on both platforms, but even then Windows-Code will not automatically run on macOS (and vice versa) it will not even compile. There will be lots of work before it even compiles.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back