Experiance with molding/pouring handgrips in rubber ?!

Hello RD members,
i have once started a thread like this way back, however with a new title and slightly more into detail, i want to go deeper into the subject of molding handgrips, i seriously need some tips and tricks and experiances of you guys on this topic,

ive got an MP4-26 Mclaren steering wheel made by Amalgam, The quality of the rim is totally just for the looks wich is ofcourse the meaning of the product but not for simracing, i do want to be using it for sim racing so im going to make the wheel stronger with more supports,

for example and thats why i started this topic, the handgrips are made of foam with a layer of paint over it, its not going to last long if im going to use this, what i want to do is make a mold out of the handgrips now, and than take of the foam handgrips of the rim, and fill the mold with something that will harden into a comfortable but durable Rubber, i want to know if people here already have experiance with a rubber material on their custom rims.

material that i kinda am looking for is the rubber as they use on the T500 F1 ferrari add-on, as a side note.

and any ideas on materials for making a mold ?

kind regards Wesley
IMG_4367k.jpg
IMG_4368k.jpg
IMG_4369k.jpg

i want to re live this topic, i have an friend who can help me make an 3d model out of the handgrips to convert them to negatives, so i can make an aluminium mold ,,, this can be filled with molten rubber, the only question is how ? or does anyone has experiance with 3d printing rubber ?

Upvote 0
As already mentioned, you'd use a two part polyurethane, not rubber.
Ideally, you'd cast it in a pressure chamber for a clean finish with no voids.

Here's a shore hardness chart to give you an idea of what kind of polyurethane you might need.
durometerchart.png

You may find it easier to go with a 3d printed solution. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.2%
  • Prizes

Votes: 44 20.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 26 12.2%
  • Forum trophies