Exclusive RaceDepartment Offer From Driver61 - 25% 'Pure Pace Masterclass' Discount

Hi again Mark,

Just been told we can publish the price which is $89.99. We will add this to the article.

I totally understand why you were sceptical with the approach but i'm disappointed that anyone would feel we would ever look to exploit our audience. We have a bit of work to do to build up the trust it seems. We will do better in the future.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks, Steve, for the record, I don't think RD was in any way trying to exploit us, however, I do think RD may have fallen into the trap of the sales shmooze and there was an awful lot of influencing in Driver61's video pitch. Apologies if I was overly harsh towards you and the other good folks at RD my ire was really toward the seller.

All good now we have a price people can decide if this makes sense for them to sign up.

In future, it would be good if the price for products and discounts is known and if signing up or giving personal data away to get the offer is required that should be stated too. If RD can negotiate discounts on sim racing products that would, of course, be a great benefit to us all. :thumbsup:

He already covered a lot in his channel :O_o:

You are right and I've spent time watching videos from him and others, but that has not worked for me yet. Something is missing. I do better when I have someone giving me in 1:1 in other areas such as fitness, so I'm hoping the same here.

Different things work for different people, maybe that should say difficult haha :thumbsup:

I'm genuinely excited about this, I had no idea it was coming but had mentioned on the pod that I need something along these lines.

If it doesn't improve me then I guess it is what it is and I lack any real talent!

You are right and I've spent time watching videos from him and others, but that has not worked for me yet. Something is missing. I do better when I have someone giving me in 1:1 in other areas such as fitness, so I'm hoping the same here.

Different things work for different people, maybe that should say difficult haha :thumbsup:

I'm genuinely excited about this, I had no idea it was coming but had mentioned on the pod that I need something along these lines.

If it doesn't improve me then I guess it is what it is and I lack any real talent!

It'll be fascinating to read how you get on. I agree there are many benefits to coaching be it for fitness or skills. Real track tuition has gained me plenty of time and these days with the kids at the kart club it's even more effective.

How about taking a before baseline and updating us on your journey through the course?

Maybe you could let us know what you feel made the difference, for example, was it track lines, braking, steering input or maybe car setup changes to suit your style better. I'm sure something like that would help others know more about the benefits of coaching.

It'll be fascinating to read how you get on. I agree there are many benefits to coaching be it for fitness or skills. Real track tuition has gained me plenty of time and these days with the kids at the kart club it's even more effective.

How about taking a before baseline and updating us on your journey through the course?

Maybe you could let us know what you feel made the difference, for example, was it track lines, braking, steering input or maybe car setup changes to suit your style better. I'm sure something like that would help others know more about the benefits of coaching.

Indeed.

Before this came along I saw young Lando Norris went to a place for coaching not too far from me, where they have rigs and a coach can be provided. Was planning on enquring on their costs, haven't done so as I feared it is likely expensive.

Now that this has come along I'll do as you say, I feel a podcast special coming up! Or could that just be what I ate :whistling:

I did the 4-hour weekend masterclass last weekend. It boiled down to 3 fundamental areas for teaching, vision, turn in/feel and finally using balance.

The vision was interesting because the distance and examples were a lot further than I had got the impression from his videos. I learned importantly I didn't need to look at my brake markers at all and I could happily scan the trackback and forth without hurting my driving at all. We did the theory, an example and then an exercise to help embed it with instructors watching over and helping us get it right.

Turn in and feel was about finding out what the understeer/loss of grip sound and felt like and what the right rate of turn in was. This didn't help me as much as on a TSPC Racer I found iRacings understeer very subtle and mostly learned to utilise the tire sounds which have 3 separate levels of noise. Still, the exercise for finding that involving turning in down a straight was useful and applied in AC just fine.

Finally we did balance with trail braking and accelerating. This was what finally clicked balance for me. The exercise allowed me to practice this specifically into a few different corners and focus on what the right balance was and feel the difference of various levels of braking. I managed to gain substantial pace in iRacing and AC. The exercise we did I use now continuously to find time on the track whenever I have bandwidth to do so.

So I would say that I enjoyed the sessions and I found them valuable. There were issues technically with the session, discord was a disaster as was switching in and out of the game since I use VR and that caused issues, but it worked well enough and I got what I needed from it. Most importantly I moved from being within 2 seconds of the aliens at the front to qualifying third this week. I spent the race fighting for a podium on a full grid of 28. I would say I usually get 7th-10th in the same strength of field so this was either one heck of a coincidence that suddenly my practice found me 1-2 seconds a lap or the course worked. I feel now I understand the problem I had and where the time is and a whole class of errors have opened up to me and I can see where I can go faster and have about 0.5 seconds to find. My theoretical time in AC is now looking similar to the aliens at the front so its a matter of getting it all done on a lap more consistently.

Given that I have also registered interest in the 4 sessions over a month. I think that might very well be a better format with more time to practice and my hope is to get a bit deeper into this and get some more drills I can utilise to improve other aspects. If you are considering it then I would say do it, I rate the experience as valuable just not very slick/professional at the moment.

I did the 4-hour weekend masterclass last weekend. It boiled down to 3 fundamental areas for teaching, vision, turn in/feel and finally using balance.

The vision was interesting because the distance and examples were a lot further than I had got the impression from his videos. I learned importantly I didn't need to look at my brake markers at all and I could happily scan the trackback and forth without hurting my driving at all. We did the theory, an example and then an exercise to help embed it with instructors watching over and helping us get it right.

Turn in and feel was about finding out what the understeer/loss of grip sound and felt like and what the right rate of turn in was. This didn't help me as much as on a TSPC Racer I found iRacings understeer very subtle and mostly learned to utilise the tire sounds which have 3 separate levels of noise. Still, the exercise for finding that involving turning in down a straight was useful and applied in AC just fine.

Finally we did balance with trail braking and accelerating. This was what finally clicked balance for me. The exercise allowed me to practice this specifically into a few different corners and focus on what the right balance was and feel the difference of various levels of braking. I managed to gain substantial pace in iRacing and AC. The exercise we did I use now continuously to find time on the track whenever I have bandwidth to do so.

So I would say that I enjoyed the sessions and I found them valuable. There were issues technically with the session, discord was a disaster as was switching in and out of the game since I use VR and that caused issues, but it worked well enough and I got what I needed from it. Most importantly I moved from being within 2 seconds of the aliens at the front to qualifying third this week. I spent the race fighting for a podium on a full grid of 28. I would say I usually get 7th-10th in the same strength of field so this was either one heck of a coincidence that suddenly my practice found me 1-2 seconds a lap or the course worked. I feel now I understand the problem I had and where the time is and a whole class of errors have opened up to me and I can see where I can go faster and have about 0.5 seconds to find. My theoretical time in AC is now looking similar to the aliens at the front so its a matter of getting it all done on a lap more consistently.

Given that I have also registered interest in the 4 sessions over a month. I think that might very well be a better format with more time to practice and my hope is to get a bit deeper into this and get some more drills I can utilise to improve other aspects. If you are considering it then I would say do it, I rate the experience as valuable just not very slick/professional at the moment.

Colour me interested as I also find I'm about 2-3 seconds off the pace of the fastest guys (I'm typically in the top or 2nd split in iRacing)...can you send a private message to me to discuss this further? I can't send you any private messages based on your profile settings.

lol video game coaching

I also see the irony in coaching for something most of us surely do for fun and as a social pastime rather than as a serious endeavour.

That said, have you watched any of the FIFA 20 esports tournaments? Many of the top players and employed 'pros' have coaches and they often show them talking with the coaches during matches. It's become big esports business.

It's the same in Forza esports team leagues (wth huge F1 style TV production values too), each team has a coach and the coach also has to drive in certain races. Many of the coaches are miles off the pace when they race which is another interesting part of the equation - being a fast driver doesn't always make someone a good coach and vice versa.

For those with aspirations toward taking part in the more serious online racing events or competing in esports a coach might have some merits. That iRacing Bathurst 12hr certainly required consistency as much as pace. Having watched the F1 esports race on Sunday, RD and/or Driver61 should get in touch with Poluter, Davidson and Courtois after their performances on the telly!

For those of us who enjoy racing games as games then yeah it's probably excessive and somewhat amusing. Once again it's horses for courses.

Racing is a lot more fun if you are competing and getting to race people. If all you do is go backwards or drive around last it's not exactly fun. To have the tension that racing brings you need the capability to catch up to the car in front and overtake. For some this comes easily and they understand how to pull it all together and just playing will deliver the necessary training and they will get quick, not so much for me. I got a long way (within 2 seconds) on free training articles and videos combined with hundreds of hours of practice and racing. Those last seconds just weren't coming off, I had a bad habit and I needed to do something about it.

If you are brand new to sim racing don't do this course. You need to be on the right line and have reasonable braking points and a process for getting there already. It's an intermediate course. But if you are doing all that and now looking for time and not sure what to do to get it then this will probably help.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back