Ecclestone calls for return to V8 engines

One of the reasons why BMW left the sport in late 2009 was because of
the engine freeze and the reluctancy to introduce new tecnhologies.
They've already made the cars louder than last year and with some exhaust
changes they could make them even louder.
I would love the return of the screaming V10s but I can't see why. The V12s are
rarely used anymore even in supercars and so will the V10s. There is a wide tendency of building
hybrid cars and F1 needs to be leading the new trends.
F1 needs to learn from past glories but not go backwards.

Some of you guys and probably Mr. Ecclestone are dreaming to much.
I'm nearly 100 percent sure that the engines will not go back to V8 or V10 because it isn't time relevant these days. The manufactors want to promote their technologically products and improvements like the Hybrid or some other things. Let's don't forget that the Formula One isn't only pure entertainment for us instead it is pure marketing!

Hey Bernie, how about you do a representational distribution of revenue to the teams so they can work on the engine side, eh? You want them to put even more money in investment without reducing FOM's intake. Take away 1/4 of that special Ferrari fund too and spread the wealth a bit better.
THIS!!!
You just won the internet good sir!
*tips hat*

• Deleted member 130869

I WON THE INTERNET!!!! :D

Oh crap, it's full of pictures of naked men :(.

I think they should allow any n/a cylinder combination (V12, V10, V8) but CAP it at 1000BHP. So EVERYONE has a way to achieve it and the drivers have to learn how to put it down, which would put more teams on a level field and bring Drivers back into the equation. Bring back refueling too.

V8 cons:
-No high tech hybrid stuff (but I think this does not belong in F1 TBH).
Not to quarrel, but I think this is an entirely false statement (I realize this is merely your opinion). F1 has typically always been about the most advanced form of motor racing in terms of technology, and hybrid "boost" technology should very much be a part of the sport.

Also, forgive me, but I don't understand how moving back to v8s would prevent the hybrid technology from working when they existed before the change to the v6 turbos.

I also don't understand peoples' obsession with the sound these cars make. I get that you want that amazing sound you're used to, but that shouldn't be such a pivotal reason as to why you watch the sport. Change is inevitable, and is always going to happen in a technologically driven sport like racing, and to me to suggest that a significant amount of people are no longer watching said sport simply because of the lack of the recognizable sound is ridiculous. I could be naive in this, as I've only been watching F1 for a decade or so, but to me this just seems like an unreasonable requirement.

The McLaren MP4-13 of 1998 did use brake energy to generate electrical power.
This technology isn't something completely new.
As for the funding problem, it is not only a result of an inflation in costs or more
comlex parts, it is also down
to the withdrawal of many sponsors since 2006 and the European economic crisis.
As mentioned above since the regulations change the spectacle has improved, so
why go back ?

IDEA keep both engines in F1 and let teams pick which ones they want to use... in the past teams where able to choose v10 or v8 so if we can balance the engine performance between the v6 turbo and the v8 then that may keep Mercedes and Honda in f1 to use the turbo engines while decreasing the money spend as small teams like Marussia will be able to use the cost efficient V8 with is it may bring in more teams and more engine suppliers..... also tell Bernie to call it a day he's around 950 years old and F1 will be better without him

I love F1. Always have , and probably always will. I understand the whole V8 vs V6 thing, but for me, the biggest problem I have with F1, is the lack of real competition. Aside from the fact that Hamilton seems so much better than everyone else, (that's not so new...remember Michael Schumacher) the cars have become so technically advanced, that any little contact, can end a race instantly. How can you have racing without a little contact. I appreciate great lap times, and high speed. There is no doubt that the drivers are superb athletes, at the top of their craft. The biggest problem to me is that when you put all the ingredients together, you come up with a pretty boring race to watch. Especially for the casual viewer. Anyone reading this is obviously more than casual about racing, so most might disagree, but I find Fe more exciting. At least I can't tell you the outcome of the race by T1.

I've been watching old DTM,,and V8 supercar races on YouTube. That is exciting. F1 is so much more technical, and almost "scientific", but that precision and "laboratory" vibe, are all part of why I watch it. It's a different attraction, for me.

OK, so I can be wrong. I'm big enough to admit it. I just (finally) got to watch the F1 race from Bahrain and that was awesome. To watch Kimi take 2nd, was as exciting as any other great racing moment, and I was definitely on the edge of my seat.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.