GT5 Does it get any better?

On level 21, have some v cool cars in my garage, done the licences, done most special events and I am still....a bit bored by it. The format just does not inspire me, find it very arcadey and cannot believe how bad the AI still is. Never feel immersed in the racing in the moment, always feel every race is a step to something else.

Yesterday I realised I was not enjoying it and put the much criticised F12010 back on after a 3 week absence. Within ten minutes I had the smile on my face that was missing throughout my experience so far of GT5. The focus was back, the incentive to really drive was back.

My question is, is there something else in GT5? Do things improve further? Does it become more immersive?

Sorry for the new thread on this but I am seriously thinking about giving up on the game and wanted to know whether I am being too hasty.

cheers

I would agree that GT5s format is somewhat arcadey, but its pretty much the way GT games have always been. I wasn't expecting a full-on realistic career mode, so I wasn't disappointed by it.

The one thing I was and still am highly disappointed with is, as you said, the AI. Its absolutely abysmal. Not only are they incredibly easy to beat, they also don't seem to have any idea how to drive, and have no awareness about where the player is. I've lost count of the number of times my race has been ruined by the AI brake checking me, trying to ram me off the racing line, or slamming into the side of me repeatedly when I spin making no attempt to go around me. The result is that I essentially treat all races as time trials. I get into 1st by the end of the first lap, and then spend the rest of the race just trying to beat my own times. Thankfully I quite like time trials, so its enough to keep me entertained and I'm enjoying the game. They must do something about the AI though.

You may be thinking about giving up on the game, but I would urge you to hold onto it and maybe just take a break for a while. There have been a number of useful patches already, and by all accounts there will be a lot more. I'd say its well worth waiting to see what they bring before you bin the game completely.

Yes, I feel the same. The secret to this arcade is to earn credits so you can modify your car so that it is unbeatable for specific races. I just got to level 25 endurance races and I was able to field my Raybrig NSX with a bunch of economy street cars...I don't know if I can handle the boredom of 60 laps this way. I must say though that when I race my Raybrig NSX against other JTCs, the race is a lot more thrilling although the AI is still just as bad. 3D graphics, 1080p, 1000 cars to choose from, very accurate tracks, but 1st generation AI. The driving physics for the faster cars is pretty good though, enough to say it comes close to F1 2010. F1 2010 will cycle back in to the PS3 as soon as I get my Toyota GT One. It is still the better "Driver's" game.

It is such a frustrating game because it could be so brilliant. I just get the impression it's been designed by a bunch of techies hell bent on making the cars feel realistic to drive and ignoring the actual racing element. That's bloody great guys but I have a car in my drive that feels very realistic to drive. What we play computer games for is to have fun and there is no fun whatsoever in entering a car in a race to find you have 2 times the power of your rivals and you are leading the race by the first corner. As Ross says you then have 5 laps of time trialing which I unfortunately do not find exciting.

There are exceptions to this of course, some races are more competitive but if you are struggling to win a race all you have to do is upgrade your tyres, chuck a bigger turbo on and suddenly you win the race by 10-15 secs.

I don't know how they get around this with the game framework as is but after 12-13 years of the format they should have an idea by now.

It looks better, sounds better but is still a dull game. A Jack of all trades and a master of none.

It looks better, sounds better but is still a dull game. A Jack of all trades and a master of none.

That is by far the best description of this game i've seen yet. I can't possibly comment really as I owned it for 1 day and took it back. It was just missing something and I couldn't find it enjoyable.
I've since read posts on other forums stating it does get better but for how long?
How long is it before your stuck in the same rut?

BG1973 said:
I just get the impression it's been designed by a bunch of techies hell bent on making the cars feel realistic to drive and ignoring the actual racing element.

Exactly! I'm not sure the arcady race format will ever change because its common with other GT games and console racers in general. However, its a shame some of those techies didn't concentrate on making at least somewhat realistic AI, particularly given the extremely long time they spent developing the game.

I mean, think about it... what if the game had a proper difficulty slider (using percentages, not easy/medium/hard), and the AI from, say, Race 07? Ok, Race 07s AI isn't perfect, but it can be set to a competitive level, it drives fairly well, it has decent awareness of the player and other AI drivers, and it even makes 'human-like' mistakes on occasion, something I have never seen in GT5.

With the above, the player could then use the opponents button before a race to see what they'll be up against, and deliberately select a car of similar performance. They'd then have fun mixing it up with decent AI in a competitive, close run race. It would still be slightly annoying that its all over within 3-5 laps, but surely PD can give us an option to set the length of races too.

Another thing which I feel is desperately needed (if we had decent AI) is the ability to run proper custom races with your own restrictions, as opposed to just the one make races we have now. I'm thinking all this is maybe too much for patches, but who knows?

i think this is more fun then f1 2010.

f1 2010 is more of a racing experiance yes. but for me what the fun is is choosing from so many cars.. realistic driving..

one moment i can choose for the GT Formula car.. then i can choose a DTM/GT like racer and other i can choose for a drifting car all in the same game and its not called need for speed.

how about. instead of modding your car to the max, before a race looking at the typical opponents and using a car of simular power or less?

That's what I said above, but the problem with doing that at the moment is that the AI is absolutely terrible. Its no fun being stuck in the pack when they are constantly brake checking you and trying to ram you off the racing line.

I have had the game for a few weeks now and the graphics and realism is great, and as said above, lacking the "racing" or fun bit, if they could somehow fix this up in a future patch, it would be a brilliant game, but it has been let down in that way, but I really like the game for how it is, the fun part only bothers me a little :wink:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%