Do you feel that AC will be the last sim of your life?

I do. Maybe if you are younger than me (and more optimistic) you have expectations in a brighter future. I have the feeling that there is no logic in expecting new sims in the future (such Assetto Corsa 2, for instance). The reason is the hardware. Newer games with photorealistic graphics with ray tracing, 4k, running in triple screens or high resolution VR headsets with lots of FOV, with real physics ala BeamNG Drive? That's impossible now and it will not be possible in many decades. The evolution of CPUs and GPUs is slow and almost stuck, with absurd prices and unable to supply enough computing power even for the games with have now under certain circumstances. Ten years ago I dreamt with better games; nowadays I dream with better hardware to improve the experience I have with AC.

I do think the open modding ability of Assetto is the last of it's kind as I believe Rfactor2 may have limits put on it in the future with regards to modding with their new owners. I'll never tire of Assetto and will just upgrade the hardware ammo to make it look and drive better courtesy of CSP.

I don't think things are as dire as you suggest, but you have a point about hardware.

We've seen how the price of top-tier graphics cards has escalated with every new series, and that's even without the current gouging. That's likely to continue as extreme UV, etc., becomes required for new fabrication nodes. Chiplets and 3D circuitry may help, but these all add expense too.

The good news is that there's still some juice left in graphics hardware. Over the next 3 years we should see a 50-100% increase in graphical performance. Not enough for triple 4k's, perhaps, but getting there ... for an ever-steeper price.

Almost certainly, the next evolutionary step in games, for better and mostly for worse, will be on-line services. Your hardware would then only need be powerful enough to project an image on your screen and handle other minor tasks (e.g., you own a console - and for "lock in" reasons most people likely will have to). The heavy-lifting will be done by Amazon and Microsoft, etc. But my guess is that this will result in a "race to the bottom" as these services attempt to satisfy everyone including those with potatoes for computers and the lamest of internet connections.

I'm more fearful about the game market than the hardware market. The AAA houses are imploding with their drive towards all possible least-common-denominators. We're going to need some dedicated indie developers to move things forward!

Last edited:
I think there is still plenty of stuff to be expected in future but question is - will anyone bother to create something meaningful? These days its easier to create a close-source "sim" that will look nice and push it to people becayse of colorful bells and whistles, but will it be as popular or liked? There is plantyful of decent games that look much better than AC with all aftermarket mods, but none of it can match AC's realism and gaming experience, so if I want to lets say run GT3RS on Nordshleife, I want it to experience and feel it well, not to look at nicer graphic of tarmac or cars beside me.
At this point I am not playing anything else apart from AC because of
a) AC's variety of cars and tracks
b) obsolete hardware (2x980GTX that can run AC pretty well but no other modern game can utilise SLI).
I do hope that there will be something alike AC in future but made on modern graphical engine, utilising modern hardware and most importantly adding more stock features to use from. I love having a blast in LAC with extra features provided by CSP but its bit annoying not knowing if car behing me uses the same mod or not - its night for me and maybe raining, and for him its middle of day, no lights and indicators. It just take some immersion out of the sim experience.

However, its most likely AC is last game of its kind and will be still played years from now with better mods etc because nobody will release equally good proper sim with open moddability and such variety of content. :/

First to answer the question. I am in the mid40s so i hope NO it´s not the last sim of my life.
One thing is sure - AC will entertain me some more years for sure.

The golden years of simracing are NOW and the way the world is moving into more and more commercial don`t give me the feeling this "golden age" will last very long.

Todays its money money money first, than far behind emotions or passion.
So i think there will be no more outstanding "classic sims" in near future.

Generally the trajectory of sims has been on average for ever deeper simulation and improvement, but it is by no means a smooth line of such progress. So I am confident better sims and games will be produced in the future.

I am concerned about the long term trend in the gaming industry to appeal games to a wider audience by dumbing them down and making them pretty. I am sure companies like Kunos are definitely chasing that direction right now and will likely end up making the next Need for Speed like game as a result just as Slightly Made Studios did and as Codemasters does. But in its place the sim racers will consistently fund simulation making studios. So while the industry as a whole forgets its audience the audience will constantly fund indies that produce ever better sims.

So overall i can't see things getting worse really but I also doubt Kunos will be the company behind the sim we are all in love with in 5 years time. Progress is always going to be a bit bumpy but I would never bet against improvement at some point in the future.

What's more real about BeamNG's physics that other sims don't do? Driving wise, it's a very inaccurate physical based sim, with pseudo soft bodies that are either made of jello or vibrate uncontrollably.

I like it and I support it, but that kind of thing is more of an experiment than a genuine step forward. It's even less accurate than rFactor 2.

Sadly I don't think a sim with better physics than AC + CSP is likely to come out any time soon, and if it does, it won't be moddable. If such a thing appears and is moddable, I'll probably hop on and port all my cars to it, though.

Realistically, I think a lot of modders will stick with AC at least 5 years into the future, or more if nothing better comes.

• Deleted member 197115

After ACC AC feels quite old school with simplified physics and dated graphics, but you can't beat sheer amount of content esp. with mods.
For GT racing alone it's just crazy to go back to AC. We'll see if Kunos can surprise us once more with AC2, whatever form, kitchen sink or series, it's going to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant the collision physics of BeamNG Drive and how they work together with all the parts of the car. That gives the feeling that the car is real and destructible, forcing your to be aware, feeling vulnerable. That all helps inmersion. It would be something really cool to see in a game such as AC, despite the fact that the CPU would have a lot of extra work to do.

Last edited:
My experience with AC in a nutshell.
simracing in a nutshell.jpg

AC will be my last sim from Kunos. I don't support trolls.

If you don't enjoy it, find something else to play that you do enjoy. It really is that simple.
I believe I have said it before but ill say it again I guess. This is 2021. We dont want any of that logical talk or common sense of any sort. We make irrational decisions based purely on initial feelings! Then we defend those rash decisions by any means necessary as to not lessen our ego when opposing parties prove otherwise.

Lol sry just having some fun

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea