Do all SimHub functions require Windows admin permissions or just some of them?

My current equipment is nearly 20 year old ECCI gear that utilizes the built-in HID game controller drivers that come with Windows. Nothing simracing-specific at all as far as software goes. I’m currently in the early “fantasy shopping” phases of a completely new rig build.

While poking around doing my research for new stuff, I’ve come across occasional mentions of SimHub requiring that it be run with Windows administrator level permissions. From those things I’ve seen, it’s been difficult to discern whether it’s only some specific functions of SimHub that require this or if they all do. To clarify, I’m asking specifically about the context of actually using SimHub, not its installation onto your system.

I know this is kind of a huge question considering the number of different things SimHub can do. Any accounts of first-hand experience for specific functions that *did* end up requiring admin permissions would be appreciated.

I’m a middle age guy with an IT background who does not take admin account requirements lightly. You may disagree with me or think I’m paranoid. That’s fine. You do you. As for me, if I’m considering product [X] which is expected to be controlled with SimHub, and requires SimHub to be run with admin permissions, then I would have to think long and hard about how much I really want that particular product.

On a related side note, are there any permissions or security hoops that need to be jumped through with any of the common Vocore or Arduino chip drivers or are they available as full-fledged digitally signed “install ‘em and go” driver packages?

I'm running SimHub on a Windows 10 PC and haven't had any particular issues with not running as admin.
Using several Arduinos, bass shakers, Adalights...
Have you something specific you have found might be a problem?

Have you something specific you have found might be a problem?
One of the problems with the references I found to admin permissions was that they weren’t terribly specific or complete.

For example I saw a tutorial on the Dayton BST-1/Nobsound combo which stated you needed an admin account. Howerver, the tutorial included the installation of SibHub so there was no way of knowing if the standard app installation was actually the only thing that required admin permissions.

Similarly, some Google searches turned up SimHub troubleshooting threads where people were asking “have you tried admin mode” with no way of telling whether that was just for troubleshooting or if the specific function that was having problems required SimHub to have admin permissions.

As for myself, my desired SimHub functionality in priority order would be:
1) Controlling button/rotary illumination on a third party wheel rim
2) Dash display (either overlay on PC display or a DDU)
3) Control of LED flag indicator panels
4) A bass shaker or two

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play