DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT 2.0: Oculus VR Update Arrives at Last

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT 2.0 VR Update.jpg

DiRT 2.0 has been updated - and now finally comes complete with the new Oculus VR Mode - vastly improving the VR experience using the Steam version of the game.

Yes, in something of a rather bizarre move by Codemasters, DiRT 2.0 failed to include a VR mode with the game at initial launch... with the studio later adding the functionality as a post release update, but splitting play in VR headsets to either a Oculus Store edition of the title, or a performance bugged version on the more traditional Steam platform.

The release strategy generated much criticism from the sim racing community, and recent weeks have seen Codemasters working hard to address these issues as part of the latest V1.9 update that has just dropped for the game.

Now including a significantly improved VR experience when playing via Steam, thanks to the inclusion of an Oculus VR mode, DiRT 2.0 just got quite a bit better for many of the virtual reality fans who own the game..

V1.9 Update Notes

Content:
  • Added files for Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi in preparation of DLC release on October 8th.
  • Added files for Peugeot 206 Rally in preparation of DLC release on October 22nd.
  • Added files for Volkswagen Golf Kitcar in preparation of DLC release on October 22nd.
Features:
  • New feature: Broadcast Mode (Beta). Players can now spectate others in Multiplayer Lobbies.
  • New camera angle: "Dashboard"
VR:
  • Added "Launch DiRT Rally 2.0 in Oculus VR Mode" command to Steam version.*
  • Adjusted default Chaperone setup by forcing Seated Mode.
  • Improved readability of various UI elements.
  • Made various improvements to reduce stutter during head movement.
Audio:
  • Resolved multiple triggers relating to audio cutting out mid-Stage.
  • Resolved issue where turbo blow-off sounds were not playing when players released the throttle.
Hardware:
  • Added "Handbrake Deadzone" and "Handbrake Saturation" options to Advanced Input Settings.
My Team:
  • Added ability to "restart" My Team career by resetting player inventories.
  • Resolved issue where selling an upgraded car would not show the correct amount of Credits refunded.
  • AI Challenges: Resolved issue where AI drivers would score double points after player recovers from Terminal Damage.
Freeplay:
  • Custom: Added ability to autofill an Event with all available routes for a chosen Location.
  • Historic: Resolved issue where retiring from an event would mark current Championship as "Completed".
AI:
  • Modified AI behaviour when taking the final corner at Estering, Germany.
Miscellaneous:
  • General stability improvements and minor bug fixes throughout title.

Version 1.10 is in development and is expected to release around October 29.

DiRT 2.0 is available for Xbox One, PS4 and PC now.

Check the DiRT 2.0 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for news, mods and community discussion about this excellent rally game.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

in DR1 they had set 'locked view to horizon' view for VR user as default. Do you have that option on in DR2 if there is one? If you're in a bumpy environment in a car in RL your eyes can absorb a lot and are steady to the horizon.

The only option I can see is 'enable locked orientation' - if anything that seemed to make the bouncing about on the Argentina stages feel even worse. It's more like a rollercoaster than a rally stage.

From what I've read about VR it's the mismatch between the amount of movement the eyes are seeing and the body being still that causes the strange feeling - seems about right to me, way too much visual movement on these stages.

The only option I can see is 'enable locked orientation' - if anything that seemed to make the bouncing about on the Argentina stages feel even worse. It's more like a rollercoaster than a rally stage.

From what I've read about VR it's the mismatch between the amount of movement the eyes are seeing and the body being still that causes the strange feeling - seems about right to me, way too much visual movement on these stages.

Camera shake slider also has an effect how much shaking you see.

Bought from Humble, only had a couple of goes yet since 85Gb took forever to come down, but so far I'm not dissappointed! Been watching this since they released as I love DR1 in the Rift. This does feel like a significant upgrade so far.

However those Steam prices are ridiculous!!!

Bought from Humble, only had a couple of goes yet since 85Gb took forever to come down, but so far I'm not dissappointed! Been watching this since they released as I love DR1 in the Rift. This does feel like a significant upgrade so far.

However those Steam prices are ridiculous!!!

I'm not familiar with how Humble Bundle works, they have Deluxe edition, that means it is same version as Deluxe edition on Steam which includes Season 1 + 2? On Humble, they don't specify that in details https://www.humblebundle.com/store/dirt-rally-2-deluxe-edition?hmb_source=search_bar.

If it would be with that season 1 + 2, it would be possible to get complete package:

Humble deluxe edition: 29,99
Season 3 + 4 from steam: 29,99€

Which is 60 EUR vs Steam super deluxe edition for 90 EUR, I'll probably go for it.

But it's kinda backwards if I remember correctly. The further you go the more the camera "floats".

Thanks, you were right. I increased the camera shake to 100 and in VR it's much better in Argentina and elsewhere. The visible parts of the car cockpit move around more but the driver/player head seems much more fixed in place and stable. I had to keep the 'lock to orientation' set to off. No ill effects at all since making this change and I was immediately another couple of seconds quicker on my test stage.

I'm not familiar with how Humble Bundle works, they have Deluxe edition, that means it is same version as Deluxe edition on Steam which includes Season 1 + 2? On Humble, they don't specify that in details https://www.humblebundle.com/store/dirt-rally-2-deluxe-edition?hmb_source=search_bar.

If it would be with that season 1 + 2, it would be possible to get complete package:

Humble deluxe edition: 29,99
Season 3 + 4 from steam: 29,99€

Which is 60 EUR vs Steam super deluxe edition for 90 EUR, I'll probably go for it.

Yes it's the season 1+2 version. Always worth keeping an eye on HB and Fanatical as they are legit key sellers. If you are not familiar, register, buy the product then simply activate the key on steam, all pretty much instant. Picked up the Deluxe Edition myself this afternoon. 85GB mind.

Game changer! It runs even Ultra now, though I found myself between medium and high - the two are very close to me.
I did my first run in medium and was already smiling all the way! Love it!
Thanks, Codemasters, for making this right!

The game is fantastic. Not perfect, but I am pleased that problems at launch seem to be fully addressed. Well, except that i would like to be able to navigate with a mouse in VR :0 But I can get over that issue given the amount of enjoyment I get from the driving experience and fantastic visuals. I paid quite a bit for the Deluxe version at launch but considering what I've paid for console games in the past, I don't feel ripped off at all. I hope the game does well and CM will continue with simulation-style games.

Massive kudo's to Codies :thumbsup::thumbsup:

After the patch it's super smooth all the way. The performance has also increased, place like in the villages in France where the frame rate dropped just below 90fps are now 90fps constant.

Settings:
Steam SS : 115%, 4x MSA, 16x AF, all settings at medium or high.
Trees at ultra
Crowds and mirrors off

Never drops below 90fps in any circumstance :cool:

Sadly, for me though, at the same settings rallycross is unplayable due to huge frame times of my 9700K @5.1 Gz

This evening i found out that the 13 second stutter was actually NOT fixed in the patch, since it was back again like clockwork:mad:

So that left me thinking what changed since this morning. So i disabled all motion programms: Simhub, Simcommander, Simtools, aSimFeedback. No difference.

Then it suddenly came to me. This morning i used my Philips 40" 4K monitor as the VR mirror and now i was using the Samsung C49RG90 as the mirror. Switching back to the Philips monitor fixed the 13 second stutter again. Dirt Rally 2 is the only game that is effected, but at least i have found the cause.

Getting horrible colour banding issues running the Oculus version with the Rift CV1. It's mostly noticeable at night and dusk (where the light makes everything look really alien!).

However it looks fine with the SteamVR version and OpenComposite. Game is amazing!

Can't help feeling I'm missing out on better performance native Oculus version though.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • More leagues

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • Prizes

Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 6 5.2%