Physics Differentials: Open and Limited Slip

In suspensions.ini there’s a [REAR] type named AXLE. Does anyone know what the default type of Differential is for the AXLE setting? I.e. is it Open or Limited Slip or a solid rear axle, I.e. no differential?
Does anyone know how to define the Differential type with a line of code? Specifically Open vs Limited Slip versus Solid Axle (none)?
Is there a good resource that lists all the options for coding suspensions.ini? For example, if you looked at sdk/dev/Formula K there’d be no indication that AXLE is even an option, so there should be a better resource.
Thanks.

Last edited:
It's unrelated to suspensions.ini. Differential types are in drivetrain.ini either as [DIFFERENTIAL] for fwd/rwd, or the various AWD settings for AWD. In drivetrain.ini a POWER/COAST=0.0 is open, anything between 0 and 1 is limited slip, and 1.0 is solid. Usually even an open diff will be slightly above 0 due to friction though.

The options are as far as I know, DWB for double wishbone (as in formula k), STRUT for macpherson strut, AXLE for a solid axle (rear only, unsteerable), or ML for multilink (undocumented & unused, may not be implemented correctly). They're all compatible with fwd or rwd, any type of differential.

Last edited:
Very helpful, like always. a couple of details if I may:
1. I assume a low value, e.g., POWER/COAST=0.03, is simulating an open differential, yes?
2. What is the "PRELOAD" setting within [DIFFERENTIAL]?
3. If POWER/COAST=0.03 is simulating an open differential, then is POWER/COAST=0.5 a good approach to simulate the addition of an LSD, or will have better results with POWER/COAST=1.0?

Thanks again

Preload is the minimum amount of locking the diff has in Nm, power/coast is added to it when the engine applies power or engine braking.

LSDs are probably mostly in the 0.2 to 0.5 range, 1.0 is only for spools.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.