Different handbrakes and DD1 vs DD2

Hello guys,

so I will upgrade my rig in the next few months (somewhere at the end of february/march 21) cause I will move somewhere else, where I have enough space.

Right now, I have a Thrustmaster T300 RS GT Edition. Due to playing Dirt Rally and ACC, I want to get an handbrake + shifter first. Also, an alu rig from simlab evo GT1 is coming then.

For the shifter I have already settled on a SHH NEWT Shifter. But the handbrake is, where it gets confusing:

- General USB handbrakes on Amazon are available for 90€, but they are not reliably and tend to break down after a few months
- Thrustmaster TSS Sparco Mod - overpriced
- Fanatec Handbreak V1.5 - I know that the V1.0 was not very good, but I read not a lot about the V1.5 except that it is now good? (130€)
- Heusinkvield Handbrake - well, the best from the best, but they are also expensive with 230€

I would go with the fanatecs one, cause I have the feeling that the V1.5 are now good and reliable. And the Heusinkvield are a little bit too expensive for that I am only playing Dirt Rally 2.0 on occasion

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pedals:

I was thinking a lot, but I have pretty much settled on the Fanatec V3 + break performance kit. Maybe I will then wish me the damper kit from my girlfriend or from my parents, I would place the damper kit on the throttle and look how it feels. But I know that it is not necessary.

I looked on the Heusinkvield, but the 700€ price tag + 90€ for the plate is too much.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last but not least, the wheel/base.

I am quite happy with my Thrustmaster T300 RS GT Edition, the wheel situation is only if I really have the feeling that I want it. But I will definitely buy all the other things first and will then decide, if I want to go direct-drive wheel.

At first, I wanted to go with the DD1 + 5 year warranty. Then, some people say that the kill switch is not mandatory, but you don't need it until you do - and then it's too late. DD1 + 5yearwarranty + Kill Switch cost only 80€ less than the DD2. Some say I should also look on the increased slew rate (rotation speed) and dynamic range between and that some thing that Fanatecs bins the electronics/motors for the DD2 --> which should benefit in the longetivity, which is kind of the most important thing to me. (besides cost)

For the wheel, I was thinking beetween Porsche 911 vs Formula V2, but then I read that Dirt rally with a F1 wheel is nearly impossible, so I will definitely go for the Porsche wheel.

Last edited:
At first, I wanted to go with the DD1 + 5 year warranty. Then, some people say that the kill switch is not mandatory, but you don't need it until you do - and then it's too late. DD1 + 5yearwarranty + Kill Switch cost only 80€ less than the DD2. Some say I should also look on the increased slew rate (rotation speed) and dynamic range between and that some thing that Fanatecs bins the electronics/motors for the DD2 --> which should benefit in the longetivity, which is kind of the most important thing to me. (besides cost)

In terms of torque speed, the DD1 is faster than anything else on the market. I say this as the owner of the DD1 and SC2 Pro.

Upvote 0
I have a Fanatec handbrake and have been happy with it. Not sure what version it is but it is about two years old. It is a spring, but it has a natural amount of resistance to me. I wish the handle was not so long though as it makes mounting it a bit awkward if you mount it vertically. It is the one piece of Fanatec gear I have never had an issue with though. You can take that however you want.

In regards to the DD1 and DD2, pay attention to when the review you are looking at is from. When they were first released, the software was limited and some of the negative reviews you see have been improved with software firmware updates.

How it compares to a SC2, I don't know. Never actually used a Fanatec DD and probably fairly few people have driven both in similar conditions. If you ever want to play on a console, Fanatec is really the only way to go. You can make other systems work if you get an adapter but Fanatec is the only one that has official console support. Still, I seem to have come across a decent number of people that moved from a Podium to a SC2. I bought a SC2 Pro recently as an upgrade from my Fanatec CSL Elite and it is a pretty big improvement in my opinion but I'm not going to pretend I know one DD to be better then another. I don't know, I just know I am happy with my purchase.

I would assign some real value to the longer warranty on the DD2 if I was going Fanatec. These are expensive and I have run into issues with my Fanatec CSL Elite, Fanatec CSL LC Pedals, and Fanatec V1.5 H pattern shifter. Nothing that was not fixable, but warranties are a good insurance.

Upvote 0
Dont forget the TM TH8A shifter/h-patern/handbrake, you have many options in one single device and It is the cheapest one.
Handbrake is only an analog springed input and usually you dont need great precission or travel to achieve a 2stage rear brake.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Is Dirt Rally 2 handbrake even analogue? There were quite a few discussions on this, but effectively it's more like on/off, original DR had proper analogue though.

I have HE and IMO it's unbeatable for configuration flexibility and built quality, can't imagine what should happen to break one.

Upvote 0
I have a Fanatec handbrake and have been happy with it. Not sure what version it is but it is about two years old. It is a spring, but it has a natural amount of resistance to me. I wish the handle was not so long though as it makes mounting it a bit awkward if you mount it vertically. It is the one piece of Fanatec gear I have never had an issue with though. You can take that however you want.

In regards to the DD1 and DD2, pay attention to when the review you are looking at is from. When they were first released, the software was limited and some of the negative reviews you see have been improved with software firmware updates.

How it compares to a SC2, I don't know. Never actually used a Fanatec DD and probably fairly few people have driven both in similar conditions. If you ever want to play on a console, Fanatec is really the only way to go. You can make other systems work if you get an adapter but Fanatec is the only one that has official console support. Still, I seem to have come across a decent number of people that moved from a Podium to a SC2. I bought a SC2 Pro recently as an upgrade from my Fanatec CSL Elite and it is a pretty big improvement in my opinion but I'm not going to pretend I know one DD to be better then another. I don't know, I just know I am happy with my purchase.

I would assign some real value to the longer warranty on the DD2 if I was going Fanatec. These are expensive and I have run into issues with my Fanatec CSL Elite, Fanatec CSL LC Pedals, and Fanatec V1.5 H pattern shifter. Nothing that was not fixable, but warranties are a good insurance.

That sounds good. The Heusinkvield Handbrakes would be 100€ more and the TR Handbrake costs even more than the Heusinkvields one. So they are a no go.

Regarding the Direct Drive Wheel: I also checked the SC2 out, but the wheels from Fanatec, especially the Porsche ones, are the most appealing to me. Thats the reason why. I looked for a wheel with many buttons on it and I really like the screen and the Porsche label on it.

Regarding the DD1 vs DD2, my main concern is the durability. I can add to the DD1 also the 5 Year Warranty, which gives it a +120€ price tag. If I would go now also with the Kill switch extra, I am only 80€ below the DD2. Thats the reason why I am thinking about it.

Is Dirt Rally 2 handbrake even analogue? There were quite a few discussions on this, but effectively it's more like on/off, original DR had proper analogue though.

I have HE and IMO it's unbeatable for configuration flexibility and built quality, can't imagine what should happen to break one.

Dirt Rally 2.0 had no analogue handbrake at first, but they patched it october 2019. Seems to be not perfect but fine. I also have Dirt Rally 1, so...

Dont forget the TM TH8A shifter/h-patern/handbrake, you have many options in one single device and It is the cheapest one.
Handbrake is only an analog springed input and usually you dont need great precission or travel to achieve a 2stage rear brake.
TM has only the Sparco Mod TSSH Handbrake, which costs even more than the Heusinkvield.

Upvote 0
TM has only the Sparco Mod TSSH Handbrake, which costs even more than the Heusinkvield.
Look at TM Control panel and the Handbrake checkbox, with analog test screen above.
TH8A shifter is the most polivalent piece of hardware available ATM, and you can buy them second hand everywhere. Its durable too.

It is possible that TM marketing department choose to "delete" any kind of referencie to Handbrake Mode on TH8a because the TSS its a scam and they dont want to canibalize its own sales.

Attachments

• th8a-control-panel.png
    th8a-control-panel.png
    113 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've owned both a Fanatec and a Heusinkveld handbrake. The Heusinkveld is so much sturdier and solid. Much less play in the handle. Also the rubber grip of the Heusinkveld feels way better in the hand than the foam one on the Fanatec. The Heusinkveld has a load cell and takes more pressure to get to 100%. Also, there are more mounting options for the Heusinkveld.

It's worth a bit more for the Heusinkveld. Also, if you ever decide to sell it, you'll get 75%-90% of what you paid.

Upvote 0
Another handbrake to consider in the EU: Akina from 3DRap. I have no experience with any of their products.

Upvote 0
I've owned both a Fanatec and a Heusinkveld handbrake. The Heusinkveld is so much sturdier and solid. Much less play in the handle. Also the rubber grip of the Heusinkveld feels way better in the hand than the foam one on the Fanatec. The Heusinkveld has a load cell and takes more pressure to get to 100%. Also, there are more mounting options for the Heusinkveld.

It's worth a bit more for the Heusinkveld. Also, if you ever decide to sell it, you'll get 75%-90% of what you paid.

Wow, way to make me want to upgrade. I was looking at Heusinkveld pedals earlier and saw you got a discount if you buy them together. It makes it not that expensive really. The foam handle is a little cheap feeling but I don't have any play in my Fanatec handbrake. One other thing I don't think anyone mentioned is that you need a $~30 adapter to use the Fanatec handbrake on a CPU if your not using one of their bases or CSL LC pedals. The Fanatec Fee.

Upvote 0

That is really a multipurpose apliance, jack of all trades, master of none!

I use the TH8A as a H pattern shifter on my rig, but only with ( a lot of) modification.

It looks well made and should last a long time, but thats about it.

In H pattern mode it feels like a spoon in honey, no tactile feedback worth mentioning.
For me the throw is much to long. With that opinion you should keep in mind that I´m spoiled by an IRP short shifter in my real life car.

Both this problems can me much aproved with 3drap mods, that is the short shift plate and mod cambio 2!!
With that at least when shifting at speed its ok, you can just hammer the gears in without missing one.
The shifter has to be rigidly mounted for that, on a alminium profle rig its stiff enough to not move ( much) when shifting

The sequential mode is really just a switch with a lever, no feedback whatsoever.

I havn´t tried the handbrake funktion, but think that it would feel exactly like the sequential shifter which means numb.

Final thoughts( ;)):

If you happen to find one second hand for a good price try it out.
Just for the handbrake function some good offers on the market aren´t that much more expensiv and they offer the analog feel
that will help with car control.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
TH8A handbrake travel is long enough to modulate with precission, turn H patern 90⁰ clockwise and center to 7/R end, Like 3cm, tuneable by longer knobs.

Its a good product, i was using one before DIM a custom handbrake with unsused TM pedales, cheaper and its doing the same

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Agree with this completely, I've also had both Fanatec and Heusinkveld. The difference is huge.

Upvote 0

Mhm you maybe right. I think I have to take the bitter pill and just buy it then for the price. I mean, I don't want to be in the position that the Fanatec one gets broken and then I am thinking "why didnt I bought the heusinkvield one in the first place?"

very convincing :p
Didn't you say earlier that the DD1 and die SC2 has more than enough?^^

Another handbrake to consider in the EU: Akina from 3DRap. I have no experience with any of their products.

They don't look so convincing, but thank you for the tip!

That is really a multipurpose apliance, jack of all trades, master of none!

I use the TH8A as a H pattern shifter on my rig, but only with ( a lot of) modification.

It looks well made and should last a long time, but thats about it.

In H pattern mode it feels like a spoon in honey, no tactile feedback worth mentioning.
For me the throw is much to long. With that opinion you should keep in mind that I´m spoiled by an IRP short shifter in my real life car.

Both this problems can me much aproved with 3drap mods, that is the short shift plate and mod cambio 2!!
With that at least when shifting at speed its ok, you can just hammer the gears in without missing one.
The shifter has to be rigidly mounted for that, on a alminium profle rig its stiff enough to not move ( much) when shifting

The sequential mode is really just a switch with a lever, no feedback whatsoever.

I havn´t tried the handbrake funktion, but think that it would feel exactly like the sequential shifter which means numb.

Final thoughts( ;)):

If you happen to find one second hand for a good price try it out.
Just for the handbrake function some good offers on the market aren´t that much more expensiv and they offer the analog feel
that will help with car control.

MFG Carsten

Mhm okay thank you. Maybe I see something good in second hand, but I think I maybe just buy the heusinkvield brake then...seems the way to go, especially when it should last long.

Upvote 0
For the handbrake for Dirt Rally 2.0, my advice is spend little ... it will not change anything for this game
Even not for Dirt Rally 1?

So lets break it down:

- DD2 over DD1 in my case
- Heusinkvield would be the way to go, but for Dirt Rally it is too much apparently?
- Thrustmaster Shifer would be also a possible, but cost also a lot

Last edited:
Upvote 0
for DR1 the analog handbrake really works, but it's a game abandoned for over 2 years.
I remain on the advice of spending little, even a used Fanatec will be very good, I have had one for 5 years and I have never had any problems[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes