Dedicated Server Set up questions

I'm trying to set up a dedicated server for AC, and I'm running into issues early. I can get into the setup for servers on my main machine that I play on, but not the one running the server. My first question is do I need to re-buy the game and DLCs on a second steam account, can I run the same steam account on two machines at the same time, or is there a way to run a dedicated server without installing the game?

My end goal is to run a server with some mods for a league, everything else seems somewhat straight forward, but I'm confused with the dedicated server program in tools on steam will obviously not run without the game, and I'm looking into whether I'll need to buy it again.

The easy way is to use Steamcmd to get the game installed, you don't need to buy it just installed its dedicated server (steamID of 302550). There are a bunch of guides on steamcmd and Assetto Corsa and that gets the server installed. Then I would recommend managing it with Server Manager available on racedepartment which will make it easy to setup races.

I've setup a dedicated server twice now, both on a Linux box, one now running 24/7 is a propper data center. As BrightCandle indicated, use SteamCmd to install just the dedicated server, then you'll need to sync over all the content from your local machine that has the full AC install to your dedicated server, although you can skip copying any ''*.kn5" files.

Also, use ServerManager -- it is awesome.

Dom

Can any of you guys be a bit more specific....:)

Background - I've been asked to try and set up an AC server on the virtual Windows server we have used for years for rf2. We have SteamCMD installed and I regularly use that to update official rf2 workshop content.

I'm aware that the AC Dedicated Server (302550) needs a named Steam user (rather than anonymous) to download - so I've tried to download it to our server using: "steamcmd +login "MySteamID" "Password.123" +app_update 302550 validate +force_install_dir c:\games\AssettoCorsa +quit"

This churns through and finally comes back saying "Success! App '302550' fully installed." - but all that is actually downloaded is a folder called shadercache with an appmanifest_302550.acf file alongside...

<edit>Ok, I’ve found the downloaded Assetto Corsa Dedicated Server folder buried in SteamCMD but when I try to run the server manager, it complains that AssettoCorsa.exe is missing from the parent folder…

Do we need the full client install on the server too? Seems a crushing overkill…

Can anybody help?

Last edited:
Ok - sorted.

I now know that the acservermanager.exe won’t work without the client files and that I have to fire up the server from acserver.exe directly…

Will content manager allow server management without the client files though - quite tedious to set up otherwise…

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back