DDU question from a Newbie

PaulGSimGolf

Premium
Hey all I’m new here.
Just getting into sim racing - parts on order : GT Omega Prime rig R12 seat triple integrated monitor stand, Asetek Forte bundle, buttkicker Pro, Elgato stream deck, 3x32” 1440p monitors

I’ve watched many videos and am confused by the need for a DDU
Isn’t this displayed on the screen anyway?
Or is the point to get it off the screen?
So finally the question, is a DDU recommended to have

They’re configurable to display whatever you like, including things not available to have on screen, quite handy. Not had mine for 8 weeks due to sim labs needing to replace and no stock, and I definitely don’t like not having it!

You don´t need a DDU, period!!

That said, I have one and like it.

But it´s the last thing on the list.

To the Buttkicker:
Tactile is valuable addition, but I don´t like the produkt and the company.
You can find why in this forum.

I own a LFE mini that I bought used and its easily outperformed by an Aurasound driven by an old AV receiver for less than half the money.

Only advantage of the Buttkicker packager is Plug n Play.

Regardless which solution you prefere you need Simhub to use overlays and DDU and the tactile solution.

That´s what Simhub overlays are for;)
Overlays only work in windowed mode I think, and take up screen space (not the best argument as ddu tends to hide some screen unless you’re going 4th screen approach) - but I hear you, you don’t ‘need’ it - probably don’t ‘need’ half of the stuff on my rig though

You´ve read that he´s going triple screens?;)

"Real Estate" enough for every App/Overlay he wants and not in direct view.
At least in AC (classic) the Stream Deck also needs windowed mode or the key strokes are ignored by the Sim.

If it was me i´d put that money into a better tactile system.
( In fact I did exactly that, the DDu came after DD Wheel, highend pedals and 5 shaker tactile system. Not to brag about h-pattern and sequential shifter)

It´s your rig, make your own informed decision (especially over the Buttkicker Gamer)
and do some more research on the R12 seat.
If you want to use the forte pedals with appropriate high brake force a reclinable entry level seat may not be the best decision.
I use my pedals with 80kg force and had to reinforce my (high end) reclinable street car seat because the backrest flexed a lot.

Will see what it’s like when built and being used. Hopefully it will ok.
Ive tried to get something decent to start with , unlike what i did with my golf sim - thankfully that is now top end after many changes/upgrades

At least you set yourself a good starting point, the choosen hardware will serve you well for quite some time.
Thanks - yeah I’ve spent about two months of researching before choosing the products.
The monitors were the hardest part - what size, what resolution, what panel type
Settled on these, a like pricy but wanted IPS panels plus 32” seemed to be the sweet spot

LG 32GP850 31.5" UltraGear 165Hz QHD Nano IPS 1ms Gaming Monitor​

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea