DD Wheel or Motion Platform

Hi, new to forum (just become a premium member so I can join the racing on rF2), but enjoyed Sim racing for quiet a while now. Promised myself an upgrade from my G27 wheel (pedals upgraded with perfect pedal) after Xmas to a DD wheel, probably OSW and possibly a buttkicker 2, but after trawling the forums I've seen the thread on the DOF2 motion simulator and now in two minds. Couldn't get both past the Wife so it becomes a toss up. I have no idea of the cost for motion as its all in $ plus import tax and VAT (any idea of cost in £?). OSW plus Buttkicker will come in around £1,500 including wheel. So where do you think the money would be best spent? I'd like to get faster but also appreciate the immersion. Thanks in advance for any help.

A direct drive wheel is the better buy if you're restricted on your choice. I have a direct drive wheel, transducer and motion setup. Motion is great but I wouldn't choose it over a DD wheel if I couldn't have it all.

Upvote 0
I have most of the above already, although my rig is self built (wood) for my triple screens and chair. I would class it as very sturdy so fingers crossed it should hold the DD wheel. Presently I only race on rF2 in a great little league (Sigracing) so no need for handbrake etc as we only do road circuits.

Edited to say: the rig is not only bolted to the wall, it is also fixed to the floor, so zero movement.

Upvote 0
I agree with your OSW / Buttkicker approach above. I'm based in Australia and while items are more expensive here, we can't get a decent new off-the-shelf motion platform for under say £1,600.

However the downside of a DD wheel is it is generates enough torque to give your sim rig a battering and an unexpected expense may be reinforcing or replacing your rig.

Others may disagree but in my view immersion's order of importance is:
- Comfortable Seat (e.g. Replica Bride Seat)
- Rig / Chassis
- Screens (VR and / or Monitors)
- Sound System and / or Headphones
- Force Feedback System (i.e. the motor that drives the wheel)
- Wheel (e.g. Replica Momo / Sparco / Other Wheel (whatever takes your fancy))
- Pedals
- Handbrake / Shifter
- Tactile Transducers with SimVibe
- Other peripherals (e.g. button boxes etc.)
- Motion Platform
Tend to agree with you mate i went the opposite way as i found a small mob in Melbourne that done a motion rig that i " just"could afford .dont get me wrong i love it but now im thinking my wheel dont cut it and pedals could do with a major upgrade. Im still learning the ins and outs of this sim world its seems bloody endless and bloody expensive

Upvote 0
I've only seen occassional Internet forum posts but I don't know them. Hope it goes well and you post up your review some time soon.

Cheers
Yeah mate so far so good , getting a traction loss add on made up.was a gamble going with a small unknown being a small community if you burn someone your screwed so i ran with it.
The dude was more than helpful and is in constant contact. A mate bought a v3 also we are going to get together and put em through the paces. The end of the day we are both happy with our purchases .im just at the tip of the iceberg in the sim world so im loving learning everything i can.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 14 11.3%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • Thursday

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • Friday

Votes: 45 36.3%
  • Saturday

Votes: 74 59.7%