Custom FFB

...a guy from Reiza Forum made a custom one.
Two guys actually, the first iteration was a team effort. Now they've split into two different versions, maintaining one each. One is seriously complex, far too complex in my humble opinion. The other is simplified, only adding/improving the most important aspects. Both are available in that thread.

Jack Spade all again?
Not really. There's just two versions as mentioned above. For the vast majority, the simple version is fine. The complex version is for DD users with five times the normal nerve endings in their hands and wrists.

Personally, I use the simple version. With a few tweaks it is a massive improvement over the default FFB on my T300.

For the vast majority, the simple version is fine. The complex version is for DD users with five times the normal nerve endings in their hands and wrists.

Only five, impressive, I really like being able to feel the nuances on kerb heights telling the difference between 1" and 7/8" :rolleyes: not to mention track debri , paper cups and skittering over poor snails :cry: in the morning practice sessions that I can feel with my DD2 :roflmao:. Especially, with Fanatec Wheels with rumble motors on ;). But I do love my DD2 in AMS2

Jack Spade all again?

That is a fair comment, considering AMS2 runs the SMS engine.

Not Jack Spade but Christiaan’s pure force feedback custom file made PC2 enjoyable to me.

AMS2, even without a FFB custom file, feels very different than PCars2 FFB, but since FFB expectations are very personal, FFB custom file in AMS2 can make a very decent FFB fit personal taste even better.

Even though both title use the same graphic engine, Reiza is offering a much more authentic and solid driving experience. Not my favorite (see my avatar) but excellent and on par with the best one can expect from a SIM in 2020.

• Deleted member 197115

Guess it's SMS engine problem then that makes creating working out of the box profiles impossible?
FFB is subjective, but how many actually preferred PCars OEM profiles over JS's or Christiaan's?
When I got reply "not really", I just couldn't see how, to me it's the same story all over again.

Guess it's SMS engine problem then that makes creating working out of the box profiles impossible?
Not really. ;) For many people, AMS 2's FFB does work out of the box. You'll find plenty of people complimenting it on the official forums. I don't dislike it myself, but it's just missing some things I want. There will always be people who want to tweak, change or enhance the FFB to better suit their own needs.

The custom profiles people have made clearly show what's possible if someone is so inclined, so it's not an engine limitation. The complex profile I mentioned above adds all manner of new and improved forces, most of which go above and beyond what is needed (or for the most part, wanted) by the majority of people, including me. But it does show the potential of what can be done.

At the end of the day, it's more about design choices. Given the subjectivity of FFB, a developer will always have to choose a path and stick with it. It's never going to be a path that everyone likes.

When I got reply "not really", I just couldn't see how...
My reply was because I misunderstood what you meant. Now I understand, yes, I suppose it is a similar situation.

But to be honest, what's new? In most sims there will be people who tweak the FFB away from the "defaults" or what is "recommended" by the developer. As you say, FFB is subjective so this is inevitable. Most sims allow you to do that from within, using in-game settings. AMS 2 does not, so we have to settle for external files instead. The end result is the same.

Maybe what Reiza should do is add outstanding (or clearly very popular one's) user custom ffb files to the sim' itself - save fannying about. Not loads, just one or two. Personally I hate messing with custom ffb files, I know it's not hard but anything which makes things simpler to try gets the thumbs up from me.

Maybe what Reiza should do is add outstanding (or clearly very popular one's) user custom ffb files to the sim' itself - save fannying about.
The moment they do that, they'll have every man and his dog submitting files they think should be in the game, and whining when they don't do it. Better to leave well alone. If people don't want to mess about, there's the default FFB which is perfectly serviceable. If they want more, they use custom files.

• Deleted member 197115

The moment they do that, they'll have every man and his dog submitting files they think should be in the game, and whining when they don't do it. Better to leave well alone. If people don't want to mess about, there's the default FFB which is perfectly serviceable. If they want more, they use custom files.
We don't know how to make it right, so let customers figure it out.
This is SMS mentality.
Hopefully this post does not represent Reiza's position.

True, reiza's own version should always be the main one, however, PC2 did have quite a few variations of user custom ffb files doing the rounds but only 2 maybe 3 were much better than the rest. Ffb is so subjective I hated PC2 ffb and never used it - doesn't mean pc2 was a bad sim though. Which leads me to the below - and yes if may be wishful thinking...

I'd get the community involved and would run a competition where competitors could create their own user ffb versions, we all get to test and try them and you then vote for your best 3 in a poll - the best ones would pull clear and when comp' finishes the top 2 win get dlc prize, and join the sim as an official ffb file.

I don't think you would get overwhelmed with entries as AMS2 isn't quite the same size in user base as PC2. It won't happen but that's how I think even if it's barmy mad :D

This is SMS mentality.
Hopefully this post does not represent Reiza's position.

Nah.... sms and reiza have a totally different user base and a totally different level of following. Maybe if PC2 took a more hands on approach with the community with regards to ffb they may have had better versions in the sim by default.

That isn't the case here though, is it? Just because a few people don't like it and choose to use custom files doesn't mean the default is "wrong". Plenty of people are perfectly happy with the default. I'm not one of them, but I don't think it's inherently "bad". Just missing things I want to feel.

PC2 did have quite a few variations of user custom ffb files doing the rounds but only 2 maybe 3 were much better than the rest.
PCars 2 had multiple built-in profiles. It still wasn't enough since, as you say, there were loads of custom files everywhere you looked. Who decides which custom files are "better" than the rest when FFB itself is so subjective? It's a case of damned if they do and damned if they don't. so my vote is still don't.

Given that using custom files is literally a case of dropping a file in a folder, I really don't see what the issue is anyway, to be perfectly honest. No faffing, and no technical knowledge needed other than the ability to click a mouse button.

I have to honest it is an awkward one for Reiza - it is clearly something they are aware of as ffb is sooooo subjective.

I've raced assetto for years and not changed anything ffb really from day one - AMS2 I'm already tinkering and I hate doing that even if it's just dropping files in. It's time wasting hunting ffb files, trying them out, deleting them etc....

I'd take a different route and get the community involved - this doesn't make the Reiza package offering any less - if anything as a community we could create and narrow down the best alternative ones to Reiza offerings. There nothing wrong with that - you can create a great sim but still mess up ffb as the developrs feel for it may simply not be the concensus with the paying public.

At the end of the day it's about survival and Reiza need to build up their user base and if that means bringing in the community I would commend that myself. To be honest I wouldn't even mess about - I'd run a official competition on racedepartment (not reiza forums to far removed) and would take a different unique approach - getting good ffb is crucial and lets be honest for some it feels like pc2 file hunting all over again. What have they got to lose by - you use reiza's version and if not happy use a winning custom user profile voted for by the race department public. Also gets them free publicity and maybe more sales....

That's just imo of it.....

I'm sorry, but I totally disagree with the entire "involve the community" approach, because that isn't what it would be. It would be the "involve the vocal minority" approach, because that's what RD and every other forum is... a vocal minority, not the happy, content, no-reason-to-complain majority. And in this case it would only be the discontent vocal minority, which is an even smaller sampling of the playerbase.

Time and again I see vocal minorities getting their way in various EA titles as the developer gives in to "the community". As soon as they do, another vocal minority springs up saying they shouldn't have changed anything, or should have done things differently again. Half the time the end result of all this wrangling is a developer a mile away from their original design philosophy, losing interest in their own product and tired of all the complaints and sense of entitlement.

Reiza made clear they were happy with the direction of their FFB, but as a concession to the discontent minority they've allowed us to drop in custom profiles ourselves. If someone can't be bothered to take 30 seconds of their time to download a profile and put it in the right folder, then I see no reason why Reiza should waste a few hours of their time programming new FFB profiles into their game. I mean really... is 30 seconds too much for people these days?

I would imagine Reiza places great importance on Racedepartment, and the views of its users, far more than you and I would realize. And lets be honest Reiza fanboys like me are more likely to live in places like these forums than multi format gaming websites so it's the right place to listen to these ams2 user views. I would regard racedepartment as the right place, the premier place, to "involve the community approach".

Can't see the problem myself - Reiza ffb files, or the very best user created custom ffb files introduced and validated by a voting system made up of ams2 users who, lets be honest, only want the very best for ams2 - and then the winning entries directly introduced into the sim'.

No more faffing about dropping in one after another custom ffb files like PC2. We here may not mind doing that, but I'm not sure the slightly more casual market Reiza could be chasing, would want the hassle if not happy with ffb on day 1 of purchase. It takes a bit more than 30 seconds tbh - gotta learn where to get them from for starters.

But at the end of the day it's in Reiza hands, it's their baby to do what they want with.

Last edited:
..... because that's what RD and every other forum is... a vocal minority, not the happy, content, no-reason-to-complain majority. And in this case it would only be the discontent vocal minority, which is an even smaller sampling of the playerbase....

Sadly, but what you say is true.
Hope Reiza keep working the way they did these months, despite this 'vocal minority' !

Move on!

It would be the "involve the vocal minority" approach, because that's what RD and every other forum is... a vocal minority, not the happy, content, no-reason-to-complain majority.

You have no way of knowing that it’s only the “vocal minority” who are unhappy with aspects of AMS2. For example, there things that people complain about which I also find to be a problem but I don’t want to simply repeat the complaint so I don’t post. There’s just no way of knowing that the majority of players are “happy and content”. What’s worse, in my opinion, are the number of posts you see claiming that ”it Just doesn’t any better than this” (quoted directly from another thread here) when there are clearly issues which even Reiza acknowledge.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • More leagues

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • Prizes

Votes: 23 17.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 14 10.7%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 7 5.3%