Creating a seperate GTR2 install for different mods

Could someone please point me somewhere where I can see a step by step guide to successfully do a seperate install of a game from Steam, specifically GTR2?

I’ve followed some generic YouTube videos but can’t get GTR2 to do it. I’m altering the relevant config files but the game won’t start…..

Thank you in advance

I don't deal with Steam but separate installs of GTR2 are simple, create a new folder with a distinct name (GTR2B, GTR2F1, XB35C, whatever) and copy the contents of the original install to that. Make a shortcut to the new install's exe and you're done. Much more convenient when dealing with mods "requiring" vastly different plr file settings and/or AIW settings (though if the latter aren't an issue you can save several gig of HD space by not copying the locations folder and using a symbolic link from the new install to the old one). This also greatly speeds up loading time since GTR2 loads all talent files, tire files, hdc files, gdb files, etc. when starting.

First thing install these two:

VC Basic all in one, download click install, done.
GTR2 needs VB and will run fine on the latest versions so better to use this for later sims / games. If you install this first thing GTR2 will not install old versions of VB.

DirectX The latest DX you probably downloaded is not the right one, you need the full
June 2010 version. If you use the latest ( smaller) version GTR2 will not start.
The later version is only 11mb+ the full June 2010 version is 90mb+

So once they are installed:

Open Drive:\STEAM\steamapps\common\GTR 2 - FIA GT Racing Game
One at a time, Right click on GTR2.exe and GTR2config.exe
Click properties, click "compatibility", click "change settings for all users" and set things the same as you see in my screenshot.

Some people will tell you you only need to do this or that but it is dependent on the what OS and type of install they have and what they have already changed.
So do as I say here GTR2 will always work in all circumstance.
GTR2 02 - CONFIG 02.jpg

Now click on GTR2 in steam and select "video options" set your resolution ( leave anti aliasing blank )

GTR2 02 - CONFIG 01.jpg

Start GTR2 should run okay now.
This is only the beginning there is a huge amount of stuff you can do for the best GTR2.

Very First Thing Before you do ANYTHING ELSE !!!
Set your driver name and all possible menu settings that you can do.
Basically on any newer tower you should be able to run GTR2 at maximum settings.
Do your controller settings and every other menu, just what you can for now or know.
Don't guess if you don't know just leave that setting for now.

Start practice to check it works okay.
Refine any of the settings you did where needed.

CLOSE GTR2
CREATE a new folder
COPY the ENTIRE FOLDER to " xxx GTR2 FRESH ARCHIVE xxx " or whatever you like.

NOW never ever touch that copy,
it is a fresh archive already setup for you to copy again and make a another fresh GTR2.
Because GTR2 has so many mods they sometimes conflict.
So making separate GTR2 folders for different type of content is a good idea.

P.S.
Running standalone copies of Steam version
I won't detail any of this yet:
When you get to this stage you now need to copy over the "fixes" to get the missing greyed out cars among other things.

After you get all this 100% you can install GTR233's GTR2 Anniversary mod
Obviously you test install this to a fresh GTR2 made from your archive.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • More leagues

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Prizes

• Trophies

• Forum trophies