Crazy used market pricing

New to sim racing and currently embarking on an SFX-100 build and getting all the other bits organised to start racing.

I've been looking on eBay, Facebook and here at the used market, hoping to pick-up some items at significant savings over new (as is usually the case with 2nd-hand items), but I've been absolutely shocked at the prices and the level of demand (some items sell in, literally, minutes)! I understand that lockdown will be having an impact, with people trying to find ways to occupy themselves at home, but I searched on eBay at completed listings prior to lockdown and, even then, the prices being commanded were pretty crazy (max. 10-15% discount on retail, if any discount at all).

Is this just how it is in the sim racing world with used hardware? I find it very surprising that people seem happy to pay retail on used hardware; in some cases, I've even seen used hardware at ABOVE retail and actually sell, even in some cases where the manufacturer has stock on hand.

As a result, I think I've concluded it's simply easier and much less frustrating to buy brand new hardware, direct from the manufacturers. It seems my money will be safe given these things simply don't seem to depreciate to any significant degree.

New to sim racing and currently embarking on an SFX-100 build and getting all the other bits organised to start racing.

I've been looking on eBay, Facebook and here at the used market, hoping to pick-up some items at significant savings over new (as is usually the case with 2nd-hand items), but I've been absolutely shocked at the prices and the level of demand (some items sell in, literally, minutes)! I understand that lockdown will be having an impact, with people trying to find ways to occupy themselves at home, but I searched on eBay at completed listings prior to lockdown and, even then, the prices being commanded were pretty crazy (max. 10-15% discount on retail, if any discount at all).

Is this just how it is in the sim racing world with used hardware? I find it very surprising that people seem happy to pay retail on used hardware; in some cases, I've even seen used hardware at ABOVE retail and actually sell, even in some cases where the manufacturer has stock on hand.

As a result, I think I've concluded it's simply easier and much less frustrating to buy brand new hardware, direct from the manufacturers. It seems my money will be safe given these things simply don't seem to depreciate to any significant degree.
I think its just the situation right now, so many people sitting at home picking up this hobby for the first time, or spending their time trying to upgrade. Plus some sim gear manufacturers have issues with production (like Granite Devices recently apologised for having to postpone orders as their suppliers couldn't deliver)

Upvote 0
No it's not normal. Prices have gone wild for new and used items. Been watching Fanatec CSL Elite LC pedals on ebay for a while and the prices are crazy! Just before all this started you could get a set used for around £175 maybe (bear in mind they cost £220 inc. postage new from Fanatec so still quite high). Now Fanatec are out of stock I have seen some go for £250-270 used! They will be back in stock soon but people can't wait I guess.

The problem lies in the supply chain being halted. All these products are made in China so when China went into lockdown the supply stopped and orders could not be fulfilled. Now things are starting up again so we should see normal stock levels resume sooner or later.

So yes it's better to buy new but that's the problem, people haven't been able to buy new hence the inflated prices you see some people paying.

Upvote 0
I've noticed the same recently. I was shopping for a spare Thrustmaster wheel rim to customise, and I noticed a used Open wheel addon rim for sale - I got mine brand new direct from TM for £120 (+pp), and the Ebay bidding had gone above that! The item looked tidy but you could clearly see it was used.

I suppose maybe the buyer thinks they will get it quicker by local post?

What a crazy world.

But there are also one or two bargains - a TX plus wheel that actually looked perfectly ok was sitting at £40 and ended with no bids!

Upvote 0
I put a CSW 2.5 base in a few weeks ago and within 5 mins someone offered £500 via message
As they had just missed out on one.

Absolute madness. But supply and demand is always a thing I guess.

Upvote 0
I put a CSW 2.5 base in a few weeks ago and within 5 mins someone offered £500 via message
As they had just missed out on one.

Absolute madness. But supply and demand is always a thing I guess.

Where did you post? I find that people shy away from buying sometimes due to the shipping cost...

Upvote 0
black swan event... no one could predict an event that dramatically increased demand while severely constricting supply , due to the way the world is today and manufacturing , it affects this market and many other consumer electronic markets severely, cons of a truly world trade market.

If you held out on selling your used sim racing items now is the time, but if you put off buying/setting up your rig then it is not the best of times of course.

Upvote 0
The Fanatec used market has always been funny from what I’ve seen. I remember looking for CSPV3 pedals years back and finding them selling for more than through Fanatec on eBay even with them in stock! Couldn’t understand why it was crazy but then when I went to sell my own prices had dropped down :cry:.

Upvote 0
Supply vs. demand, not much more to it. The converse will occur one day when this is over - rich guys selling their stuff for next to nothing because they bought it for the sole reason of being bored during these times, and having no more interest and/or time to do sim racing.

Upvote 0
Checking back on Amazon each day shows wide variation in pricing. During May, I got a T300 base for $213.00 new, and an Amazon Marketplace, as new, Ferrari 458 rim for $89 (damaged box). Seemed reasonable pricing.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea