Could F1 return to Adelaide?

return adelaide.jpg
Melbourne is currently contracted to be hosting the Australian GP until 2023, but what about afterwards? Well, the Adelaide City Council wants to bring the race back to the historic circuit.

The circuit has seen wins from the likes of Ayrton Senna and Keke Rosberg, and a shortened version of the track is used for the Supercars season opener, but Adelaide hasn’t held a Formula One race since 1995.

The city council have now made a formal request for the South Australian Tourism Minister to look into the viability of a bid to host the race again.

“There’s certain nostalgia that the grand prix brings and I think everyone in the room is old enough to remember the halcyon days so I’m glad that the council will write to the State Government and at least indicate that we’d like this to be explored,” said councillor Alex Antic.

“We’d just like to see the State Government take the steps to see if it is viable and whether a pitch could be made.”

So, will it happen? Judging by tourism minister Leon Bignell’s comments, probably not.

“If [Adelaide] want the Grand Prix, how about they put in some money so we can get the grandstands up a bit quicker, which will make their ratepayers happy,” he said.

“They are big on complaining, but not putting their hands in their pockets to help their ratepayers. We’re not interested in [the Grand Prix].”

For more Formula One news and discussions head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with your fellow community members.

Would you like to see a return to Adelaide? What old circuits would you like to see back on the calendar? Let us know in the comments below!

Australia has some of the finest tracks that nobody knows about, except for Albert Park, of course. Aida is a fast and flowing. A great track. Second best outside of Bathurst. Good thing I'm not in charge of F1, because they'd be racing at at Mt. Panorama.
Yeah Eastern Creek is another awesome track! Toca Racedriver flashbacks....

I had been to Clipsal 500 and Adelaide Speed Festival a couple of times, I do love to see Adelaide hosting F1 again.Still, seeing how Clipsal 500 is today with Aus GT, VASC, Trophy Trucks and so on, I do not think it is a shame that Adelaide lost it's F1 to Melbourne.

Still, I think nothing will beat the sight of seeing a Ferrari 641 and a Leighton House F1 racing on the circuit. The sound of those legendary open wheels is unforgettable for me.

I'm a Melbournian and I even think the Melbourne Grand Prix is a bit hohum.
Every Australian would put Bathurst first I am assuming.

The Phillip Island Circuit would be about the only place in Australia that would come close to the requirements of the FIA, And then it'd probably still need to be resurfaced and require a major overhaul of the Pits. It'd be a a fantastic high speed circuit if it ever happen though, and we'd see some great racing if the parity ever come back with the teams as well.

But unfortunately, Adelaide has had it's day and would never meet the modern day requirements.

Having seen most of the races here, I would say it could return if treated the same way Monaco is ... very little or no run off areas, and adapting driving strategies to suit a street circuit. Definitely redesign and use a "Safer barrier" around Brewery Bend, but seeing F1s tackle the Senna Chicane, and smoke Brabham Straight would be fantastic.
Main trouble is not the track, but politicians. It became a political football back in 1994 ; "cost too much, people not interested blah blah blah" (Clipsal 500 had it this year too) , and Bernie took his bat and ball, and ran off to Melbourne ...
Schmacher in 1996: "Melbourne is nothing more than a glorified go-kart track"
Even though we're a third of Melbourne's population (1.2mil) , 210,000 on race day is still a brilliant crowd figure, and put a lie to the then opposition politicians' line.
Be nice to see it return ... but foresight and leadership aren't qualities that abound in the present crop of pollies!

Assuming bathurst isn't possible, my vote would be for Philip Island. I'm not sure adelaide would suit the current cars, but I could be wrong. Philip Island is so fast and so flowing, It'd be fantastic for a GP imo.

Guys, we are simracers right? So many doubts whether Adelaide would suit the cars, AMS with the Formula Extreme would be quite a good benchmark in my opinion (until Reiza comes out with the new regs car, or maybe one can find the track for AC's Formula Hybrid, created legally or not)... just try it :D

On a side note I am 21, since I remember F1 the Aussie GP has always been in Albert Park. So naturally I can't miss Adelaide.

Edit: Just tried it with the Extreme, the combo is not a lot of fun with the modern version (except for the chicane and the fast bend, those are fun :)), and the lap would be too short for F1 standards. Even more so with this year's car...

Last edited:
As I understand it's just some silly noises from politicians, SA doesn't have the money to host it.

Well the article basically says that.

As for the old GP layout, T7/8 don't exist in their old form anymore for a start.

Last edited:
Eastern creek or whatever the current name is would probably require the least ruining to get up to f1 'standards'.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 42 26.6%
  • More leagues

Votes: 31 19.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 28 17.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 10 6.3%