Could Demotion Save Kvyat's F1 Career?

Header.png
Brutal. If there's just one word that perfectly encapsulates Red Bull's decision to demote Daniil Kvyat back to his former Toro Rosso roots to make way for Max Verstappen, then "brutal" is most certainly it.

Whilst the decision itself - aside from a handful of rumours late in the day - came out of the blue for the majority of us racing fans, the speed with which the news came to me suggests that this decision had been made long before Kvyat's first lap antics played it's part.

Now I'll be first to admit that I am by no means unique in this line of thinking, some may even surmise that Kvyats' future had been decided before Melbourne or even as far back as pre-season testing. But what is important here is not the why or the how, we all really know that Red Bull have played their cards to keep Verstappen away from prying eyes. The real question is what happens to Kvyat from here?

Car.png

On the face of it, things aren't rosy. Even Daniel Ricciardo would struggle to walk into the Catalunya paddock next weekend with a smile on his face had he been the one to be demoted. Considering the short time Kvyat has had a leading car at his disposal will only add to the young Russian's clear frustrations with his own performance at Sochi, and indeed perhaps across the last year and a half. However, I for one truly believe that the situation which has presented itself to Kvyat is the single best thing that could have happened to him. No seriously. I do.

Just over two weeks after securing Red Bull's first podium since the 2015 Singapore Grand Prix, Kvyat, courtesy of some admittedly very clumsy driving last weekend, finds himself taking a step back to Toro Rosso in what many agree to have been a predetermined move by Red Bull.

Verstappen has been toted as a sure-thing for a Red Bull seat as early as 2017, but I suspect that not even he expected to get the call up so soon, despite rumblings that camp-Verstappen had been placing Red Bull under significant pressure to either promote their man, or risk losing him to a competitor.

STR.png

The Red Bull driver programme has been notoriously vicious culling drivers from their lineup. Just ask Vitantonio Liuzzi, Scott Speed, Jean Eric-Vergne, Sebastian Bourdais and perhaps most unfairly of the bunch: Jaime Alguersuari, Sebastian Buemi. However, excluding Bourdais and Speed, there is one thing these drivers have in common. All were culled towards the end of the season where a chance of securing an alternative seat was almost non-existent. Kvyat, as a fellow exception to the rule, has the chance to defy the odds.

Whilst Bourdais and Speed were fired completely from F1 purely on performance grounds, because let's be honest here; they were utterly rubbish. Kvyat has been dropped, regardless of what Red Bull's PR might want us to believe, to make way for one of the most promising talents in recent memory. Add to that the fact that he will still get to see out the season in what is currently a rather handy package in the STR11, with a 2015 Ferrari donkey in the back and a very well balanced chassis, means that all is not lost for young Kvyat.

Not only does it give him a decent car to fall back on, but almost all of the pressure that he faced in a top-tier team is now gone and he can focus purely on beating the fiery Spaniard in the opposing garage. No mean feat, mind you.

The odds of seeing Kvyat in a Red Bull branded car in 2017 are admittedly on par with Toto Wolff actually admitting that Ferrari are not that close to Mercedes after all (come on Toto are you really fooling anyone?), Kvyat has another 17 races to show F1 and the wider racing community just why we were all so eager to leap aboard the 'Kvyat hype train' in 2014.

KStr.png

Whilst seats for 2017 may well be few and far between, a solid sponsorship backing and some good feisty drives for Toro Rosso could put Daniil back in the driving seat (pardon the pun). Let's be clear, if he wants to get back into a top team, he needs to start delivering. He has been significantly slower than Ricciardo all season long (he's been out-qualified at every race so far this season) and lucked into the podium finish in China. There's no question he has the speed to deserve a seat in Formula One as he showed in 2014 and 2015, but so far 2016 has been a sub-par season.

All we can hope is that he makes the best of this 'opportunity' that has presented itself. Regardless of whether this 'opportunity' should have even been considered just four races into the 2016 season.

Do you think Kvyat can flourish once more now that he's back with Toro Rosso?

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I do think it's a bit harsh for Daniil, I still think he's caused it a little bit by himself with the reckless driving. This is the perfect chance for Max to show the world that he can compete with the very best and I really do hope so. I don't really think Kvyat can impress one another again if Max stays at RB as, in my opinion, he's simply not good enough to get in the top tier teams.

Love them or loathe them, Red Bull made a decision that is fantastic for Formula One. Keep Kvyat in F1 (because he does deserve a seat), and get Verstappen in a top team.

I have to admit, the thought of Ricciardo vs Verstappen is a mouth watering prospect and I cannot wait for the Spanish GP to see how it goes. Not only for the teammate battle, but because Renault are bringing the biggest engine update to their cars since these V6 turbo hybrids entered the sport. Apparently it's a massive upgrade.

Let's hope they're more competitive!

Oh, and no. This is by no means the end of Kvyat's F1 career... Unless he continues driving in the manner that he displayed in Russia.

F1 is a momentum game, Verstappen has it and Kyvat doesn't. It may not be fair but that's the way it is. If he does well against Sainz then he may still be at STR next year but I would be really surprised if his F1 career picks up again from here.

I guess there is more than meets the eye. I do not think those decisions are being taken lightly. Who knows what happens behind the screens in meetings or via backdoors. Which info is released to the press and which info is kept behind. F1 is only about 1 thing: money and high tier political people do make decisions that are not always understood for regular people. I watch F1 from a distance. I do not care who wins or who races for a team or driver swaps, as long as the race itself is exiting filled with fair battles, anybody is in favor to win.

Once sacked from top team , you stay in midfield. Just look at Perez. This is why its dangerous to go to a top Team top early when car isnt competitive. Besides Hulkenbeg and Grosjean are far more talented and complete drivers for Kvyat to go anywhere over them (kimi?), but yea maybe he can fill their seat if they move up, however I'd prefer someone new, I've seen enough of kvyat.

I don't think his career is over by any means...not yet anyway.
He has seventeen races to fix the situation. That's a long time and a lot of races.
Quite frankly, the STR is not a bad car to be in.
Was it considered a demotion? ...yes.
Even though it's using a 2015 Ferrari engine, that STR chassis is quite capable of running ahead of the Honda, Force India, Sauber, Manor, Haas and in certain conditions...even the touted RBR.
That's a lot of cars to potentially finish ahead of.
Every driver has struggles at some point in their career.
He got a raw deal in China from Sebastian for the contact, which was absolutely not his fault.
It was actually Kimi's move back to the line, coupled with Vettel running a bit wide which started the whole thing.
Heck! the contact between Nasr and Hamilton was caused by Kimi's re-entry.
Kvyat was clearly responsible for the Russian mele.

Last edited:
Unless he is able to find some solid sponsorship, it's over for him.
I cannot remember last time a driver with no titles was able to be sacked, and get into another team without having money to persuade team bosses.

As far as Kyvat's career is concerned, only time and his resolve to prove he has what it takes in F1 will tell.

I believe this is a make or brake moment for the young Russian, he can do 2 things, give up on a top seat because he feels his being cut from RBR has damaged his future prospects in F1, or, take the "bull by the horns" pardon the pun, and prove RBR wrong for the remainder of 2016 with stunning calculated drives in TRS, which we know he has the talent to do.

Personally, I hope it is the latter, the fact he is in F1 to start with proves he has what it takes, now it's up to Daniil to find the fire in himself to push past this small negative point in his career and focus on moving forward.

It's not anywhere near over and this has saved his career in F1, he would've been sacked at the end of the season anyway but by then it would've been too late, now he has plenty of time to try and get himself a seat at Renault (for example) because I don't think they really want to keep Palmer any longer than they have to and Kvyat would be a decent replacement

I don't think his F1 career is over or at least I hope it isn't over. IMO he made the move to RBR to soon in his career. Such a move can make you or break you and for now it is the last for Kvyat. If he stays in F1 depends on his performance through the remainder of the season. If he beats Sainz the there is hope if he doesn't then he will be out of the RedBull program. Same applies for Sainz so either way at the end of 2016 one of the STR driver will leave STR.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%