GT7 Controversial Gran Turismo eSports round at the High Speed Ring

Snapshot - 4.jpg

There has been many questions raised this year regarding whether or not Gran Turismo 7 is eSports ready. This certainly didn't help GT7's case. What you're seeing here is the act of wall banging turn 2 to go faster, since your entry speed could be higher yet your exit speed stays the same. This was the final version of the trick that had been used throughout practice, which I decided to clip for a YT meme;

At the start of the week, it was immediately clear that wallriding, a GT trick as old as the franchise itself, was going to be an issue if not addressed. A lack of wall contact penalties or at least strict ones, combined with a lenient threshold for receiving any damage, led to this being valid;

Thankfully, this at least was quickly hotfixed out, with any attempts to use the walls as rails from then on resulting in 1.5 second penalties (two penalties if you stayed on the wall for a long time). However, this detection relied on amount of time you were on the wall for, so if you could somehow clatter the wall softly enough to avoid an immediate contact penalty, but hard enough to bounce off the wall before riding it, you could still do something at turn 2.

And indeed, that was the trick being used in practice WR attempts. Danny did not discover it, though he was the WR holder post leaderboard reset when Asia-Oceania started racing. And with potential trips to Monaco at stake, no-one was in the mood to play it "fairly" and lose for their troubles;

A particularly smart duo (or devious depending on your stance), Veltro and Trust, even found a way to make the wallride consistent in the race again. If you made contact in a specific way before turn 2, the game would think you were rammed and give no penalties for any and all wall contact;

But EMEA, who were next to race, were furious. Some were even calling for the wall bangers to be temporarily banned from the game. This led to a huge twitter fight between popular A+ rated streamers from Asia and EMEA;

Meanwhile, EMEA raced, and somehow despite the odds... it was clean. Nobody in top split rode the wall, at least not intentionally. It was all out regional warfare now. Asia questioned EMEA's motive for not doing the most they could to win, especially when they had no issues with previous exploits like the Super Formula infinite overtake bug. EMEA meanwhile ridiculed Asia for stooping as low as they did when they were able to have perfectly clean races despite the temptation.

In America, you even had certain drivers imply they would purposefully take out anyone who used the wall bang;

AndrewPunt.png

But whilst most did avoid it in America, there was no consensus like there had been in EMEA. Some took the chance to bank a big score, and I can't blame them for wanting to win; we all did it here in Asia after all.

In the aftermath, there have been calls for PD to veto the entire round due to the turn 2 issues. Many have argued that this has unfairly allowed certain drivers and manufacturers to climb the standings, though there is obviously the counterargument that everyone practiced and raced knowing the wall bang was still there and that any and all exploits are the fault of the developer, not the player.

Not to mention that the aforementioned Super Formula result (Toyota Cup round 1) wasn't vetoed despite the overtake bug and collision penalty issues. With that said, it is under investigation as I publish this, so this saga isn't quite done yet.

Last edited:
PD's ruling is in; drivers proven to have exploited the walls will have their points removed, but the round itself stands for anyone who didn't;

But if I'm going to be honest, I don't like the call. PD have completely failed to take responsibility for allowing the glitch to exist in their game in the first place, and are instead blaming the players for trying to go as fast as possible. They had several days to fix the issue, and before this, had chances to set a precedent against glitch exploitation by acting when Toyota Cup round 1 had it's issues.

In that regard, I feel that the update to the "points of caution" doesn't actually help, as it fails to address why one glitch was quietly patched out without further comment on the round it affected, whilst another has recieved such an extreme response. It feels like PD caving to the EMEA witch-hunting mob, rather than a decision consistent with how GT eSports has been run to this point.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back