Computer Problems (over heating)

Hi all,
I was playing sports bar last night in vr and for the first time with this computer I got a BSD, and then again it crashed a couple of times after that, so today I ran a Prime 95 test and monitored my cpu temps with core temp and I noticed that my temps were really high up to 100% at some points so now I'm wondering if my water pump (cooler master) isn't working?
I have touched the intake and outtake pipes and they seem ok I can feel vibration which would suggest that the water is running through the pipes, is there a definitive test to tell if its working?
Or is there anything else I should be looking at?
P.s. sorry for the attachment it's the only way I could think of lol

Attachments

• Core test.docx
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
Start with the basics.

Have you been able to check the coolant pump rpm? I don't have any experience with Cooler Master AIOs but perhaps it has it's own monitoring software or if not, you could check the speed in the bios. I'd also do the same check for the radiator fans. If they all seem ok, you could remove and reseat the pump with some fresh thermal paste and see if there's any noticeable improvement.

No worries and good luck :)

Hopefully if it's not already set to max rpm, you might have a little bit of room to up the speed to maximum and see if that has any effect.

Is the unit fairly old/high in runtime? I know it's not unusual for them to start losing some efficiency after a couple of years.

• Deleted member 197115

Try to blow radiator fins with compressed air and check for air trapped in the system. Shaking radiator while pump is running can help to move it out of pipes where it blocks coolant from flowing. Also follow the proper radiator orientation (above pump, tubes at the bottom) to prevent the air bubble from going back into the system.
CoolerMaster does not have any software to control and monitor fans and pump?

Last edited by a moderator:
Download HWInfo, that should tell you if the pump is running and it's RPM as well as report pretty much every temperature, voltage, RPM etc of anything attached to the motherboard. You can also use it for logging to see how high things get under load in game etc.

I'm wondering if my water pump (cooler master) isn't working?

How old is your cooler? The reason I ask is that you can start to lose liquid through permeation after several years - not a leak as such, more just molecular losses through the materials used in some coolers. If your cooler is more than about 5 years old, this could be a factor.

Thanks guys all very helpful info there,
@Locoblade I can see from the bios that the pump is running but i'll give HWinfo a go.
@Andrew_WOT I didn't know about the radiator orientation I'll sort that out, pipes are at the side atm.
@maelstrom it's only a relatively new pump about 4/5 months old.
I'm fed up with the water pump so I've ordered a Noctua nh-u12a cooler to see if my temps are any better, if not I might be tempted to de-lid my cpu ;)

• Deleted member 197115

May be look at Corsair H100i next time.

You should also tell us which Prime95 version and which test are you running with what settings. Some of the test/settings could probably produce this result even if nothing is really wrong.

What are your temps at idle and in normal use?

Also Prime95 apparently doesn't like Skylake CPUs much, at least according to some quick search, so it could also be an issue.

I'm fed up with the water pump so I've ordered a Noctua nh-u12a cooler to see if my temps are any better, if not I might be tempted to de-lid my cpu

What specific model of AIO do you have? The NH-U12A is a good air cooler but I havent seen a single review that puts it within a few degrees of the better AIOs under load. If your temps are better with the Noctua, that would be a reasonable indication that there’s something wrong with your AIO. I also have a 6700k (not delidded) with a Corsair 110 AIO and haven’t seen temps above 75C when racing at 1440p.

Last edited:
I saw a video on Gamers Nexus a while back about certain AIOs that had been corroding inside and gunking up the waterways etc stopping or severely restricting flow. It wasnt Cooler Master I dont think but perhaps something similar has happened here.

@ maelstrom I have the cooler master liquid lite 120, to be honest I think my problem lies with my cpu,I was testing it with prime95 (version 29.8 build 8) and my temps are running in around the high 90's it's even hit 100, and it keeps saying fatal error, now I don't pretend to know what I'm doing but I know thts not good lol

Again, that can still be fairly normal. Small FFT test with AVX will heat up your CPU like nothing else. Have you ran the same Prime95 test on the same P95 build before successfully? What are your normal load temps? And what are your CPU settings before it starts to throttle? You seem to be running a fairly high OC based on your signature.

I have had 2 closed loop watercoolers like this NorthQ NQ-3580 - but after some years they both started to loose the cooling effect because the liquid inside slowly disappeared.
Socalled permeation as mentioned above.
In the beginning these closed loop coolers are effective but later they are no match for even a medium aircooler.:poop:

NQ-3580 WaterCooler.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back