Community Question | Who Here Uses VR, And Why?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim racing is far more than just the simulations themselves - a long, wide and varied array of hardware can be used to enhance your experience, and one such device is VR - but who here uses it on a regular basis?

VR - otherwise known as Virtual Reality, brings with it the ability to place a driver right into the heart of a virtual racing cockpit. Adding an immersive 3D experience to the driving aspect of sim racing, the technology and immersion are no doubt impressive - but can come with a cost - namely loss of visual performance, high PC horsepower demand and the (potential) discomfort of wearing a headset for prolonged periods of time.

As with much in life, one has to weigh up the pros and cons and VR is no different. With that said, I'd love to know how many of us here at RaceDepartment regularly use their VR headsets when sim racing, and the reasons why they prefer it (or not) over traditional screens.

Fire away in the comments section and poll!

VR footer.jpg

Last edited:
Sim racing is far more than just the simulations themselves - a long, wide and varied array of hardware can be used to enhance your experience, and one such device is VR - but who here uses it on a regular basis?

VR - otherwise known as Virtual Reality, brings with it the ability to place a driver right into the heart of a virtual racing cockpit. Adding an immersive 3D experience to the driving aspect of sim racing, the technology and immersion are no doubt impressive - but can come with a cost - namely loss of visual performance, high PC horsepower demand and the (potential) discomfort of wearing a headset for prolonged periods of time.

As with much in life, one has to weigh up the pros and cons and VR is no different. With that said, I'd love to know how many of us here at RaceDepartment regularly use their VR headsets when sim racing, and the reasons why they prefer it (or not) over traditional screens.

View attachment 413093
I have Pimax 5k Plus and the wide FOV plus 144fps is immense! Cant race without it , ever! (still secretly considering 3 32" screens though) lol

Upvote 0
There is absolutely no substitute for VR as long as you don't suffer motion sickness.
I initially used Rift CV1 but like WMR on my Lenovo Explorer more, despite it being a cheaper HMD.
The feeling of being on track is fully 'locked' the minute an image comes up in those lenses.
Though you give up some color vibrancy, everything else is simply better.
It is easier...to negotiate the apex of corners...to check rearview mirrors...to looking at telemetry.
The proximity to other cars is viewed much more realistically and allows for closer racing.
The fact that I can glance left and right without mapping a button to judge opponents.
You do have to set a few simple but often overlooked things right off the bat to make the experience enjoyable.
First, center your VR view with regard to your actual wheel position.
That one simple step can make the difference between loving or hating VR.
To those experiencing motion sickness, 'google' pressure bands.
We use them in our full flight sim at HondaJet, with a high degree of effectiveness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One thing I notice, and this poll bears it out is that an unproportionate number of people comment on not liking it than the actual numbers that don't. Just something I notice on most forums that have a question along the line of 'should I do VR'.

Anyhow, I love it, have not had my triples since the DK2 in 2014. I kept them around for a while but it became obvious I wasn't going to use them again. Since then, cv1, rift S, index and waiting for the g2.

Re the question about seeing your buttons. You dont need to if the layout on your rim is good. I can easily get to any of the 8 rotaries on my wheel and 10 of the buttons no problem. I also use a thrustmaster hotas throtlle in racing for some of my mappings. It is great because it is mean't to be used without looking at the throttle. So I have another 20 buttons on the throttle that I know exactly where they are without looking.

An absolutely great thing about VR that is missed in screens is being able to properly use in game rims. All the wheels on the car feel like you are using them and its very nice to be able to use the display in the virtual car and all the information presented by it and being able to interact with it, changing display page etc.

While I have a nice rim the Ascher f64 there is no way I could have all those nice replica rims and displays I get to see in VR.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 379375

Question for VR users. How you press buttons on your real steering wheel during racing? Adjusting pit strategy?
I've just mapped MFD movement controls to the HAT on the wheel

Upvote 0
VR is the worst thing that ever happened to me ;)
My gateway drug was a Samsung GearVR with a Riftcat demo and Vanilla AC, what feels like a million years ago. After the 10min trial I had a grin so big, my wife thought I'd lost all my marbles. Since then I've gone the Pimax 4k route until I could get a CV1, then a Samsung O+ and now a Reverb G1. I don't play Racing sims on normal displays anymore hence the statement on the first line. My finances has suffered greatly to feed my VR mistress but it's worth every penny.

I see many comments regarding AMS2 behaving well for VR users. I really struggle with it when it comes to weather and day-night transitions. My settings in PC2 are comparable but I find that AMS2 turns into a powerpoint presentation in anything but bright sunny days with medium cloud or less. GPU util sitting at below 65% but then but reprojects like crazy as soon as a drop fals from the skies or it start getting darker. Night racing is no better... Any ideas? (9900K + 2080TI + Reverb G1)

Anyway, VR is a must try.

PS: I've just "gifted" my CV1 to my best mate. >>Insert evil grin here<<

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I use both Ultrawide screen and Odyssey+ and have no trouble switching between the two.

I use the 2D screen for track-making, due to the convenience and crisper image, but anytime I am using AC for fun it has to be VR for me now. I predominantly make tracks in my 'sim time' (rather than race), and the feeling of driving through a landscape that I have made, walking round the pits, checking out all the little details that I have added... it is simply amazing! Oh, and racing in VR is infintely more enjoyable for me; side by side though narrow 1950s country lanes, being able to hit the apex every time in vintage open wheelers, looking in the wing mirrors and seeing yourself looking back at you... it's addictive!

I was lucky enough to be able to try out VR before I bought it, to check that I didn't suffer from motion sickness (nope), and that I could wear my glasses under the HMD (no problems there, either). If there's anyone who hasn't tried VR yet, I can't recommend it enough, especially if you get the chance to try before you buy.

Oh, and I run an i5 9600k 3.7ghz with a gtx1080 and have no problems at all racing with a field of 24 cars in AC at 90fps, so you don't need a super computer to have fun.

Upvote 0
I use it for non-racing games, because Racing in VR still makes me sick, so I play some games like Pistol Whip and Saints & Sinners for some zombie adventures. I'd love to use it more regularly with games like Dirt Rally 2.0 but that game crashes if I start it up in VR, so when that gets fixed and I'm more accustomed to VR-racing, I'll be all in for VR I think.

Upvote 0
100% VR use + buttkicker. Realy magic!! I cannot go back to screen use.

When you add motion to the equation VR sells the "You are in the car" experience profoundly. It doesn't take much motion to do it either. Your brain fills in the blanks.

The other day I was driving a stick and I wasn't smooth with the clutch on launch from the pit and the car bucked and I was laughing because of how real it all felt.

MOTION DRAMATICALLY reduces nausea!

I used to let people try Dirt Rally before motion and a few minutes into one stage and most would be done and need a while to recover.

After I added motion, the vast majority of people have no problem at all or can go for 20 minutes or longer where they would be feeling miserable in 5 minutes before.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Im one of the "dont like it" but because no option reflects my needs.
I think every gamer that tries VR fall in LOVE with It but its like dancing with the preattiest girl in the Party, its the cooolest thing but has its drawbacks.
Better than "dont like It" i Will choose "not my Cup of tea"

Upvote 0
I stopped VR for a while as started to get annoyed with the screen door effect and started using a 40 inch screen instead, but have recently got a quest 2 and its back to VR again! basically no screen door, clear image and very comfortable to wear.

VR is where its at, its also only going to get better and better in the coming years.

Upvote 0
You don't have to be physically moving to experience motion sickness.
This usually occur when screen frequency lags perceived movement on screen.
Ever been sitting at a stoplight with your foot 'planted' on the brakes and suddenly look up after having looked down, to find two cars pulling up...one slightly ahead of the other?
With no other reference you'll sometimes get a sense as if you are rolling backward?
Such is the human brain.
To you guys suffering this effect....
First try playing around on those two parameters.
Boosting the frequency of images on screen so that it stays out ahead or is synchronous with the actual perceived motion of the cars on screen is key.

Upvote 0
I stopped VR for a while as started to get annoyed with the screen door effect and started using a 40 inch screen instead, but have recently got a quest 2 and its back to VR again! basically no screen door, clear image and very comfortable to wear.

VR is where its at, its also only going to get better and better in the coming years.

Do you use it with a link cable or wirelessly? We had much better results with the latter, the link cable had too slow refresh rate (1080ti)

Upvote 0
Do you use it with a link cable or wirelessly? We had much better results with the latter, the link cable had too slow refresh rate (1080ti)

I use it via Link cable, i tried via wireless but my router appears to be too slow.

I have only experienced lag (ever so slightly) a couple of times, mostly its a joyful experience.

I have edited the new Debug Tool, to increase bit rate and res, plus focus and super sampling, the end result it literally night and day from the CV1 which i was using.

I am running a 1080 (not the ti version).

PS my computer isnt good enough to run ACC properly i have found in VR, so i am using AMS2 in VR nearly exclusively.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I drive mainly ACC but VR performance is terrible, but I only race AC & AMS2 in VR.
I really like VR but it is not quite good enough yet and I think in the next few years it will mature and be adopted by real race teams for their in-house sim rigs.

The feeling you get of being in a car is pretty damn awesome the GFX at close are great but at a distance can be shoddy, I like it but am glad I have not invested too many funds to date.

Upvote 0

View attachment 413093
I simply lack a flat screen. I only have hmd

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • Trophies