Cold front tyres on the 2017 911 GT3 Cup - any tips on heating them up?

I’ve been running the 2017 911 GT3 Cup on Highlands Long and trying to get to grips with setting up cars - I’m new to sim racing.

I found that the tyres would never warm up when running at the stock set up around there and so started to tinker to try and increase my speed and get some heat into those tyres.

The first thing I did was drop the rear wing from 20 down to 10, added a longer gear ratio for 5th and 6th to give me good top speed along that very long back straight and then increased the camber alignment ( or was it toe....the top one definitely, sorry I’m away from the game) as that suggested better turn in and the potential heat I wanted to get into the tyres.

This worked a treat in terms of my overall speed and lap times. The drive was a lot more lively but sustainable yet I still found I couldn’t get much heat into the front tyres.

I saved that and then tinkered from there with toe, front splitter, bump (I’ve no idea what that really does but added tyre temps were mentioned.) My tyre pressures were at 16 which I dropped to the minimum of 15 in the hope of getting some heat in there but still no go.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Is there a good set up tutorial that says what to change and, more importantly for me as a newb why it needs changing?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

I think the general rule of thumb for AC is: pressures matter most. In my experience, if the setup is working for you and the pressures are OK, then the temperatures will just be whatever they'll be. I'm not aware of any setup changes that will significantly influence the tyre temps. (Happily, even when the tyres "look" cold they often aren't much down on actual grip.)
You can adjust the ambient/track temps to help a little of course ;)

That’s interesting to know, thanks.

From various YT videos, streamers and articles (I’m desperately trying to increase my knowledge) it seemed that tyre temps are critical. I suppose I’m overlooking the obvious that game models will differ from game to game.

I‘ll keep in mind I can play God with the track temps/weather too.

Cheers

I really like Chris Haye's setup videos here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWSWQyqnLDu7tLWE9P35Qog6Z8_xb7l_g . In the 11th video he has a handy crib sheet you can download. I keep it on my phone and whip out when I get stuck . I don't need to look at it as cold tires seems to be a common thing, especially with modded cars. Lowering tire temperatures are the first obvious one, the second is adjusting the toe angle of the tires. Hope that helps!

I really like Chris Haye's setup videos here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWSWQyqnLDu7tLWE9P35Qog6Z8_xb7l_g . In the 11th video he has a handy crib sheet you can download. I keep it on my phone and whip out when I get stuck . I don't need to look at it as cold tires seems to be a common thing, especially with modded cars. Lowering tire temperatures are the first obvious one, the second is adjusting the toe angle of the tires. Hope that helps!
Thanks for the link. I wasn’t aware of Chris Haye’s set ups on YT. I’ll have a look and definitely print out any crib sheet. That sounds like it will be a huge help.

Thanks for that.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back