F1 2018 Cockpit view

• Thread starter Deleted member 561801
  • Start date
F1 2018 The Game (Codemasters)
D

Deleted member 561801

• Deleted member 561801

Hey,

What would be the best setting for the cockpit getting closer to reality?

Cheers,

Interesting. My screen looks more like your last pic (3rd one)but still more like the iracing one than the 2nd image too.

Hard to tell for sure, but the car looks further back on the track in image #2 than image #1. The other thing that is not helping is that the horizontal offsets on #1 vs #2 aren't matched. This results in a cockpit view further back from the wheel. I don't even see the virtual wheel in the iracing shot but the "seat" in the 2nd image is far back which lets you see the mirrors, the tires appear smaller etc. The actual FOV might not be that different but hard to tell based on the cars not appearing to be exactly in the same position on the track or the virtual seat in the same position from the wheel. The landmarks do look similar in size though to my eye.

I'll get you the horizontal width when I get home later today as I'm curious as to how the FOV presents in iracing for my setup.
Look at the tyres, it's the best reference point. Vertical and all the offsets is default for both, I actually use both cockpits lower, especially iRacing, but this is still enough for comparison. I didn't adjust seat position on any. Except for seat height the difference between pics is mainly caused by FOV itself, I believe. Virtual wheel of iRacing is off (hidden) on 1st pic, sorry. And yes you're right, first car is a few meters behind on the track, not intentional but yeah yeah, I didn't realize this would screw reference points this much.

Another thing, and what gave me the "this can't be right" feeling when I used F1's calculator. iRacing tracks did feel wider, and it's actually very obvious in motion. This didn't translate to these pics. It took me this much to realize this because I wasn't driving any other sim but F1 until last week, my iRacing account was innactive. And my monitor is new as well, never had an ultrawide, so I was kinda forced into guesswork.

Last edited:
Look, this is better.

I put both cars righ above the inside curb of the first leg of Montreal's final chicane, pointing to the same spot. Any difference in their positions will be on the centimeters. The only change besides FOV was adjusting both camera angles upwards. Look at the cars and look at the pit wall and start-finishing portal at the left side.

This is what iRacing recommends me, 57 degrees.
57.jpg

This is what iRacing would recommend to you, 49 degrees.
49.jpg

And this is F1 2018 with minimum FOV (-1.00).
1-00.jpg

Now look how far away this is from what that F1 calculator recommends me at -0.50:
0-50.jpg

And from what it would recommend to you (-0.65):
0-65.jpg

The only defense to F1's calculator would be to say iRacing's calculator is innacurate. And honestly, it isn't the case.

Ya, those examples really hammer your point home. I think you're exactly right in that the F1 calculator isn't accurate. Quite a difference!

I can't get my screen closer unless I want to either mess with my chair ergo's and be more upright, (not something I'm really interested in), or place the screen above my T300 wheelbase and tilt it downwards. This wouldn't be very realistic feeling as I'd be looking up instead of straight ahead, but maybe is worth it to get a more realistic FOV. Thoughts?

I think you would be fine at -1.00. It won't be 1:1 but it should feel realistic enough. Many people set their FOV a few clicks above the recommended on iRacing to get a little bit more peripheral vision, this would put them at the same ballpark.

I think you would be fine at -1.00. It won't be 1:1 but it should feel realistic enough. Many people set their FOV a few clicks above the recommended on iRacing to get a little bit more peripheral vision, this would put them at the same ballpark.

That virtual mirror sure would be great. I get hit from behind lots as I can't tell who's beside me with the current FOV. -1.00 is going to be worse, lol.

I dropped the FOV to -1.00 and finished racing just now. So much better. I adjusted the offsets a bit and hit the track. Hitting the apexes was significantly easier and I could actually make use of the displays on the wheels. Felt more realistic despite not having much in the periphery. Making me think about a head tracker, PS4 VR or building a PC and move away from PS4.

My best experience ever on sim racing was when I had triple 23 inchers on my PC. I regret I've sold the monitors. Over 100 FOV (not even sitting that close), awesome peripheral vision and no problem seeing mirrors most of the time. It puts quite a strain on the GPU though.

VR is the **** nowadays, but it's too expensive and makes me sick. And no support for F1 games at the moment, AFAIK.

Well, I went all-in and included a couple of 23" monitors on the sides of my 29" ultrawide. And I got this:

1.jpg

Proper 1:1 FOV (122 degrees, by my estimations), mostly visible mirrors (not for the Red Bull though). This is just GREAT for wheel-to-wheel racing and immersion, I'm never looking back again (no pun intended). Actually, I'm considering getting triple 27's.

I had to mod the game files to reduce the base FOV, as this is actually quite lower than -1.00. I tried -1.00 before learning how to mod the camera and found the fish-eye effect and unrealistic sense of speed to make it almost unplayable.

At this setup, I disabled look to apex and camera shake. Brought camera movement down to 0.30. Vertical offset is at 0.85 to align the car with the wheel. I lost the dashboard because of this, but I'm using DashPanel on my smartphone to have it back, and it works great (it's not in this picture because I used the phone to take it). I chose to keep camera angle at default because it messes with the horizon, and decided to adjust height with vertical offset instead.

Last edited:
So did you guys ever figure out the proper FoV calculation for the F1 games? I'd been racing with -0.45, but for the past week or so I've been driving the F3 in iRacing after setting my proper FoV and it's clear that the F1 calculator is totally off.

Late to the table, but F1 2018 setting fov -1.00 is as close as you can get without modifying game file. I simply watched the attached helmet visor cam videos and adjusted accordingly:

These drivers only see the 80-90% of the front tires To see the mirrors I use a TIR5 with custom minimal profile (vertical/horizontal with acceleration/limits customized to my head movement) fortunately I don't "bob" my head around very much while driving. This is set up on a 34" 21:9 3440x1440 - 22" away from my eyes. I have no trouble hitting the apexes and sense of speed seems normal to me compared with other sim I drive ACC, AC, RF2, AMS2 all set up for "propper FOV". I am really happy the my TIR5 rather than LTA because I control the amount I need. :)

Also I do not have space for Triples or 49" UUW monitor.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back