Check out the Brand New Formula E Design

The majority of 3rd world countries will continue to pump toxins, sulfur, co2, plastic and other climate changing pollutants in to the worlds air and sea for the next 100 years anyway. We are stuffed. So lets carry on and race with petroleum, noise and smell and to hell with it. And lets have grid girls back too before we all become extinct. ;):sneaky::)
While it is true that 3rd world countries have more relaxed regulations, it is likely that within 50-75 years these countries will be forced to change because the resources have run out - their emission rules for instance are in a lot of cases only 20 years behind so by 2060 the majority will have followed suit, should e.g. the UK move to full electric production by 2040. And I agree that we should continue to enjoy these vehicles while we can but we should also look to the future and prepare for when we have to make the switch. Admitting we are stuffed 50 years before we are is giving up before we have started. If we are on the verge of creating electric cars that can travel 500 miles on a single charge now imagine what we will have created by 2040. And I agree on the grid girls ;)

You have a point: going electric for transportation does not mean that racing should necessarily do the same. People run for hours, ride horses and shoot arrows with bows for sport, while most humans do not need or want to do to that anymore. ^^

While I'm a big supporter of FE, I also think that it will take a long time before electric power will replace fuel as the main power source for race cars. Don't get me wrong: I love the sound of the screaming V12 F1 engine of the early 90's. I think that both are valid options, but motorsports will need to keep on pushing for more eco-friendly solutions if it wants to remain socially acceptable. No one lives in a vacuum and, in the end, motor racing depends on sponsorship to exist. If motor sports start looking like a thing of the past, corporations will spend their ad money elsewhere. I think this is the main reason why so many car manufacturers are getting on board with FE.

What about camber, toe, ride height, anti roll bars etc? What about sub 2 second 0-60 times or the consciousness that you won't be polluting the atmosphere by driving around and having fun? I love 2 stroke motorcycles but you also have to think of the future. What world will your ancestors live in and will they be thankful for the decisions we all made when we had an opportunity to make change?

Camber, toe, ride height, sway/anti roll bars are all part of suspension tuning. You must not work on real cars. So I see why you don't get it.

For me a big part of the hobby is modifying and tuning my car. Another big part of my enjoyment is driving a manual transmission. So super fast times aren't necessarily what I'm interested in. If it was, I'd have a dual clutch transmission.

I don't do politics. I especially don't get into those types of discussions with people who talk about unknown future events as though they are fact.

The majority of 3rd world countries will continue to pump toxins, sulfur, co2, plastic and other climate changing pollutants in to the worlds air and sea for the next 100 years anyway. We are stuffed. So lets carry on and race with petroleum, noise and smell and to hell with it. And lets have grid girls back too before we all become extinct. ;):sneaky::)

Why am I not surprised for such a BS coming from you?

Source? Disney Comics? Trump Tweeter? pfff

Car looks great to me, but i've tried in the past to watch this and I just can't. I dunno if it's the lack of noise, or the tight, maze like tracks that put me off (probably both) but it just gives me the personal impression of watching 'toys'. I'll probably TRY and watch some this year, but I aint holding my breath for any revelations.

I hate that new Formula E car. We hated the original DW12 for covering the rear wheels, but the new FE car covers all the wheels, has a halo, and a jet fighter wing. Where is the outrage over such an ugly car?

@3GeForce
How about electric conversions? You have the option to choose the motor, number of motors, AC/DC, batteries, cooling, will be able to shift and you can do it to most ICE cars in existence. I expect this to be the path most car enthusiasts will choose in the future.

Attributed to what exactly?

Various things in home fireplace or gas stoves even a car idling in garage
carbon monoxide can seep through drywalls
It is called the silent killer, as it's colorless, odorless, and tasteless

People go to sleep driving where bad exhaust and floor can gas them

Was light sarcasm saying that won't happen in a electric future

The difference is, for all the activities above, the resources are still available. We can still run because we have legs, we can still ride horses because we have horses and we can still shoot bows because we still have the feathers, wood and string to make a bow and arrow.
In 50 years, conventional ICE's will not be possible because we simply don't have the fuel to run the vehicle. Good look trying to run a race team when fuel costs are super expensive because of low supply. Main categories in motorsport will always guide the way for other transportation, and that means that they must convert and change with the times.
Just a few thoughts:

- Motorsport has not lead the way for transportation. There were hybrids on the streets way before they hit the track. I am not sure that anything concrete has been brought into electric street cars thanks to racing.

- The end of petroleum reserves may happen in 50 years or 90 years, but what about uranium and the rare metals that are needed for electric motors? Their reserves are expected to be depleted too at the horizon of the 22nd century.

- The carbon footprint of an electric vehicle is not currently that much better than a standard engine during its entire life cycle. The manufacturing and recycling of electric cars requires more energy and the electric power to recharge batteries does not come from nowhere.

- In an urban environment an electric vehicle still emits 30 to 40% of the amount of small particles of a standard cars. It is far from 0 because a good part of those particles comes from friction between road and tires and the brakes.

- All things considered, an electric vehicle is not "clean". In France a couple of advertising compaigns presenting those cars as clean have been discontinued because they were flagged as misleading.

I do not think that the electric vehicle is THE answer to our problems. It is a false answer to a certain extent, one that replaces mass energetic consumption by mass energetic consumption.

The main answer is to stop using cars for comfort and restrain usage to what is needed. It's been three years that I got rid of my day-to-day car, using train, plane and metro; I rent cars or use taxis when I need it. It did not make my life any worse.

It did not bring me any cookie either and the Paris town has banned my Alfa spyder: too "polluting". I cannot take it out once in a while to a short leisure trip. That would make me such a bad guy compared to those guys who waste gallons on the streets every day in their heavy SUVs with seats heating their buts in the winter and AC units fully working in the summer...

And to go back to racing, so far burning fuel is still the more efficient way to go fast. Multiplying the cost of fuel by 10 or 20 would remain peanuts compared to the exploitation of a racing car. Making combustion engines more efficient is as valid a solution as going fully electric. The way F1 has gone is as good as FE, and it still makes much better races for the moment.

Last edited:
Just a few thoughts:

- Motorsport has not lead the way for transportation. There were hybrids on the streets way before they hit the track. I am not sure that anything concrete has been brought into electric street cars thanks to racing. (...)

That's not entirely true. If you consider speedrecords as motorracing (which in my opinion is sort of racing), then the two first ever speedrecords for cars are done by electric-motorized vehicles. That was 1898 (~63 kph) and 1899 (~106 kph).

Decide for yourself if this might have an influence for the development in electric cars in general.

- The carbon footprint of an electric vehicle is not currently that much better than a standard engine during its entire life cycle. The manufacturing and recycling of electric cars requires more energy and the electric power to recharge batteries does not come from nowhere.
According to a study conducted by the Union of Concerned scientists, an average electric car in the US produces, by the end of its life cycle, about 50% less pollution than its ICE counterpart. The manufacture is more polluting, yes, but that can be easilly offset just by driving the car. We have already established it takes huge amount of electricity to keep ICE cars running either way, and at least you have the option to recycle electric car components. Tesla, for example, can recycle about 70% materials from their batteries.
- In an urban environment an electric vehicle still emits 30 to 40% of the amount of small particles of a standard cars. It is far from 0 because a good part of those particles comes from friction between road and tires and the brakes.
It is true that EVs suffer from increased tyre wear caused by the higher weight, but the energy density of batteries is increasing so this problem is likely to diminish in the future. As far as brakes go, because of regenerative braking, electric cars can go thousands of miles without using their brakes once. With careful driving, they are only ever used in emergencies or to bring the car to a complete stop.

All in all, while EVs are not necessarily clean, they are cleaner and getting cleaner still. But I definitelly agree with you that it isn't the ultimate answer to our pollution problems and that more can (and should) be done.

Last edited:
First reaction: Cool, looks futuristic, I like it.
After realizing it has a halo on it: Forget that.

Yeah, I was quite interested to see Formula cars have things like windshields or canopies again, but i was really hoping for a return of the design you see on the older F1 cars, not the Halo it ended up being. It's not helped that with every design we've currently seen the halo is simply a block of naked carbon fibre. Atleast incorperate it in the livery, right now it just looks tacked on.

Still better then F1s 2017 extra spoilers though :p

While it is true that 3rd world countries have more relaxed regulations, it is likely that within 50-75 years these countries will be forced to change because the resources have run out - their emission rules for instance are in a lot of cases only 20 years behind so by 2060 the majority will have followed suit, should e.g. the UK move to full electric production by 2040. And I agree that we should continue to enjoy these vehicles while we can but we should also look to the future and prepare for when we have to make the switch. Admitting we are stuffed 50 years before we are is giving up before we have started. If we are on the verge of creating electric cars that can travel 500 miles on a single charge now imagine what we will have created by 2040. And I agree on the grid girls ;)

I'd like to point out that Sweden and Ireland are quite strict in their regulations despite being third world countries :p (since "Third world" technically means "Neutral during the cold war")

Trivia aside, the countries in the third world are hardly standing still. Nigeria and Egypt, for instance, are buying nuclear power plants from Russia. India is going electric-only by 2030 and are already quite big on the whole practice anyway - they more or less have to, considering all the smog. Moving away from the third world; China, which probably would have the biggest impact if they refused to go along with the program by virtue of sheer size alone, is actually the biggest producer of renewable energy by sheer amounts. You could point out that this is entirely due to China being such a massive country, and you'd be right. However, that still means that 25% of China's energy production is renewable. This is more then the UK (22%) or the US (14%).

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.