Caterham Challenge

Introduction

Automobilista 2 has a vast array of content, but in the absence of a career mode it’s lacking a sense of purpose. I find myself jumping from one car class to another, and from one track to another, but usually ending up returning to a familiar car and track combo for ‘just one more quick race’, absent of any continuity or progression.

It’s very easy to fire up a racing sim and drive unrealistically, knowing that if you crash, the reset button is there to immediately give you another shot. However, it’s difficult to learn anything from crashing all the time. I think there’s a much greater reward to be had from behaving in the sim more akin to how you would if you were driving a real car on a real racetrack. First and foremost, I suggest that you make this a golden rule for yourself and stick to it from now on: do everything you can to not put your car into the barriers! You should turn off all driving aids, put the damage level up to max, and whenever you go out on track, take the first few laps slowly and carefully, letting the tires come up to temperature before beginning to push. Treat your ‘in-sim’ car as if it were a prized possession. Avoid damaging it as best you can and build your speed and confidence with the car gradually. You will definitely end up being faster if you make this a habit and keep doing it consistently.

While we wait for Reiza to deliver a career mode for AMS2, I thought it might be fun to create a series of roleplay scenarios, joined together with a storyline. My idea is that these scenarios can offer some structure and direction to one’s activity with the sim (hopefully resulting in some measurable progress and improvement behind the wheel), while at the same time being entertaining and engaging. These scenarios will be best enjoyed if you follow the advice given above. In fact, you should make another rule for yourself that, if at any time you receive a damage warning from the game, you should immediately end that particular session and come back to try it from scratch another time. Also, don’t forget that Reiza now models reliability, and there’s a remote chance you’ll experience mechanical issues or even a failure of some kind during the challenge scenario. Again, if that happens, you should end the session right there.

Subscribe to this thread to get notified as I add new Challenge Events!

The Caterham Challenge Series

The first challenge series of events will be based around the Caterham 7 360 R ‘SuperSport’. This is a great little car in which to learn the basics of road racing, and many real life aspiring race drivers start this way in the UK through the Caterham Academy racing program (although I prefer the Supersort to the Academy model in AMS2). The Supersport has a manual 5-speed gearbox, and with a top speed of around 130mph, it’s fast without being scary. It really should be driven with an H-shifter / manual clutch. If you have a shifter and a three pedal set, but haven’t yet learned the heel-toe technique, now’s the time!

Caterham Challenge Event 1 - Read This Carefully Before Launching the Sim

Your adventure starts early in 2017. You’ve been thinking about treating yourself to a little sports car that you could take to track days and as luck would have it, a friend has told you about one that’s for sale at a pretty special price. Even better, the owner, a Frenchman named Pascal, has high level connections in the racing world and lives not too far from the principality of Monaco. You’ve spoken with Pascal and he’s told you that, if you can get yourself down to the south of France sometime in the last week of March, there’s a possibility he can arrange for a test session around the famous streets of Monaco! You decide to take a week off from work and make the trip down there to check out Pascal’s Caterham and soak in the once in a lifetime experience of driving the Monaco GP circuit, which has been set up for a sports car meeting to be held in the first week of April. The streets will have been transformed into a racetrack and you are soon going to be on your way to meet Pascal and drive what will become your new ‘baby’ - a shiny red Caterham Supersport!

This challenge is best enjoyed by using Mr. Braindown’s excellent custom liveries along with my AI driver file: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/caterham-supersport-skin-pack.52526/

https://mega.nz/file/uzw1TJJK#m4IIkJ1j6C2KYSRSPUJ-9PTo837DchIAfQfFS6MDaIc

If you’ve never installed these types of files for AMS2, do yourself a favor and learn how to do it. It makes a big difference to the immersiveness!

You’re meeting Pascal at the ‘Azure’ track, early on the morning of March 28th 2017. Launch a Test Session in AMS 2 and set the time of day to 6am on that date, with weather set to Historic. Choose the Caterham Supersport vehicle and select the red liveried #66 car.

Pascal hands you the keys and tells you to go easy! If you crash it, you buy it, and because of the repair bill it will be even more costly than it already is! What’s more, you’ll also miss the next challenge event while the damage is being repaired, and you’ll be sad about that. So heed his advice and go very carefully until you start to get a feel for the car and the circuit. I like to ‘short-shift’ around the first lap or two while I’m learning the track and the tires are still cold. Monaco is tight and twisty. You’ll probably never reach 5th gear during a lap, and at least one turn (the famous downhill hairpin) will likely need to be taken in first so that you have more control on the exit. Be particularly careful with your downshifts, especially from 3rd to 2nd. You need to blip the throttle as you depress the clutch and don’t shift down too soon or the change in revs will cause you to spin and / or lose control.

Take as long as you need to get comfortable with the car in this first event, but make sure to run at least 20 laps or so (and remember, don’t crash it!!). You’re starting just before dawn, and although this Caterham doesn’t have headlamps, there are lights on around the circuit and in the tunnel, so you can see well enough. Before you hit the “Drive” button and start the engine, take a moment to listen to the seagulls and the waves lapping at the harbor walls (Reiza puts a lot of effort into the small details!). You might want to put the time acceleration on 5X so that you can enjoy the sunrise as you work on your consistency around this famous track.

The Caterham 7 will let you adjust a number of suspension parameters, as well as some basic differential settings. Once you’ve run a few laps on warm tires, try coming into the pits and experimenting with the diff settings. Try dropping the number of clutches and / or the preload and see how it changes the feel of the car. Only ever adjust one or two parameters at a time, otherwise you won’t know what is affecting what. This is a tight circuit and the car has rear wheel drive. It helps if you can get the rear end to rotate slightly with a little throttle applied (but not too much!), so it’s probably best to limit your tinkering to the diff and perhaps a tweak or two to the brake bias. I said it before and I’ll say it one last time: if you cause any damage to the car during this event, you should end it immediately and score zero points (so whatever you do, don’t crash!!). Otherwise, drive for as long as you like and score points for your best single lap time as follows;

Any lap time under 2 minutes - 20pts*
2.01 - 2.10 - 15pts
2.11 - 2.20 - 10pts
2.21 plus - 5pts
Crash - 0pts

* The current AMS2 leaderboard is headed by sci006 with a lap time under 1.50 for this combo!

I will post details of the second Caterham Challenge Event in a new thread here, coming up in a few weeks. Meantime, feel free to leave comments on how you got on with this one, what you think of this idea in general, etc.

Last edited:
I hope that damage doesn't include excessive wear to the clutch!

I was glad to stumble upon this post because I've just started concentrating on the Caterham, and I wanted to learn the Monaco circuit - it seems well-suited to non-downforce cars like this. The Caterham is basically my perfect racecar, but I suck at racing it so I'm trying to really buckle down and learn how to make it go fast. This was perfect for me.

Concentrating on avoiding damage and being safe increased the immersion immensely. I found that as soon as I looked at my laptime, I got pulled back out into the "sim racing laptime fever" and almost put it into the wall. So, I just stopped looking at the lap times and concentrated on the driving.

In my "sim racing" mindset I knew that I could go through the tunnel flat out, but concentrating on safety, I just couldn't bring myself to keep my foot down! This kind of visceral feeling is exactly why I do VR sim racing. I went very very very slow to begin with, since I didn't know the circuit at all, but at the end of the session I was pleased to see that I had done a 2:13.8 somewhere along the way. That's more than 20 seconds off of the world record pace, which seems appropriate for me.

I didn't experiment with the setup since I've never done any setup changes ever in sim racing (so far). Perhaps I will try in the future.

Thanks for this fun challenge! I'll be putting in more time in the Caterhams.

Caterham Challenge Event 2 - Read This Carefully Before Launching the Sim

You’re still buzzing with excitement from the thrill of driving the famous streets of Monaco as you enter the small cafe on the harbor front and sit down. If you had any reservations about investing your hard-earned savings into the little Caterham before today, they are completely gone now. You’re falling in love with this little red machine and starting to get a feel for how to drive it already. Pascal smiles as he takes a sip of coffee, then drops the keys on the table in front of you. You pick them up, turning them over in your hand.

“Oh, and there’s one more thing..”. Pascal reaches into his inside jacket pocket and pulls out an envelope. He hands it to you. “I’m not going to be needing this now that you’ve bought my car from me”.

You open the envelope and find a ‘Nordschleife Experience’ 2-Day Pass inside.

“Oh, wow! Really??”. You can hardly believe what you’re looking at.

“Yes, really. Despite the date being April 1st, this is no joke”. Pascal sighs, “I was looking forward to this myself, but it’s fine. I’ll book for another time. These two days will be special. You will meet lots of fellow Caterham owners. They have a special meet up there every year. Some own a Supersport, like you. Others will have the 620R, the Academy and the Superlight. On day one there’s a 45 minute session on the Sprint circuit, just to give you the racing experience with other cars around you. On day two you’ll get to race on the famous ‘Green Hell”. It should be a fun event, no?”. You can’t stop yourself from grinning like a Cheshire cat.

“It’s going to be absolutely amazing! Thank you Pascal!”. You shake hands, ‘man-hug’, and pat each other on the back. You bid Pascal farewell and head back to your hotel. You make the final arrangements with the transport company to get yourself and your new ‘baby’ up into Germany in time for the event, and then it’s time for some sleep. It’s been an exciting day!

March 31, 2017 - Burstadt, Germany.

Your trailer has arrived, carrying you and your new prized possession! You have the evening ahead of you to meet up with and get to know the other Caterham owners. Don’t drink too much! Tomorrow you’ll be experiencing a ‘track day’ with them, and the day after that, you’ll race with them on the infamous ‘Green Hell’! The forecast has rain as a possibility both days, but supposedly it will only start in the afternoons so hopefully you’ll avoid it, since you have morning starts. Nordschleife is hard enough to navigate in the dry, let alone when wet!

In AMS 2, choose the Nordschleife 2020 Sprint circuit, set the date for April 1 2017, with weather set to historic. Set up a 45 min practice to start at 8am (AMS2 doesn’t offer ‘Track Days’, so just set up a race event with a practice session and no qualifying. Don’t bother running the race itself, just run the practice session). This will be a multi class event, so go ahead and ensure that you select all 4 of the Caterham classes. Set the driver count to max and the AI aggression to low.
Once you launch the practice session, stay in the pits and let the majority of cars go out on track before going out to join them. The main objective of this session is to get used to letting cars get by you as safely as possible. Oh, and of course, DO NOT CRASH!! If you crash, you’ll have to end the session and miss out on this valuable training! I’m sure you’ve heard the expression ‘to finish first, first you have to finish’. The truth is, it takes a lot of practice and a lot of time to be amongst the fastest drivers out there, and while you’re learning, you’re going to be one of the slowest! Learning to let faster drivers overtake you safely is of huge importance, especially early in your sim racing career.

Make sure the radar feature is turned on. You will use this and your mirrors to keep a constant eye out for traffic approaching from behind. Even with aggression set to ‘low’ these Caterham AI are feisty and there’s no way to make them behave more carefully, or to only have them attempt overtakes only on the straights. They will come at you from all sides, at every point around the track. Some of them will be more aggressive than others, but you will have to be on the lookout the whole time. The radar is super helpful, so use it a lot. You will need to develop a strategy for moving out of the racing line once you see the orange and red rectangles on the radar coming up behind you. Actually, a great tip for sim racing practice in general, is to learn how to drive off the racing line as well as on it. Driving too slowly is also quite dangerous, unless you are well off the racing line, so keep this in mind as well, and don’t brake too suddenly when you have traffic behind you… yes, there’s lots to concentrate on all at once!

As the practice session goes along, hopefully you’ll remain in one piece and things should spread out a bit. Your tires will have warmed up after a few laps and you can start to push the pace a little if you want. However, this is not about being the fastest car out there, it’s about avoiding car contact at all costs and staying out of trouble. Luckily the track itself is reasonably safe, if a bit twisty. You’ll find a lot of it is driven in third gear. There’s a couple of fast straights, a rather nasty, tight s-bend at the end of the uphill one and a couple of tight second gear corners to contend with. I suggest you load up with enough gas for ~ 20 laps, which should easily see you through the whole 45 minutes - AND REMEMBER…..DON’T DAMAGE YOUR LOVELY CATERHAM!!

Now, with all that said, this is a very tough challenge. Despite your best efforts you may well get spiked by one of the AI. If that does happen, then providing you can limp your car back to the pits safely, without sustaining any further damage, then go ahead and get repairs. I’ll give you two trips back to the pits for damage repairs, but that’s all! Try not to use either of them! Score points as follows;

Survive all 45 mins, no crashes - 20pts
Survive all 45 mins, 1 crash - 15pts
Survive all 45 mins, 2 crashes - 10pts
3 crashes - 0pts

45 minutes is a super long time for me! The longest race I've ever done is 20 minutes. But I've been practicing safe and clean racing so hopefully I can make it...

What AI skill setting should I use? I have it on 97 generally these days.

45 minutes is a super long time for me! The longest race I've ever done is 20 minutes. But I've been practicing safe and clean racing so hopefully I can make it...

What AI skill setting should I use? I have it on 97 generally these days.
AI setting is completely up to you. 97 is a good place to be though. Remember, this challenge is all about honing your awareness of traffic around you. You don't have to push the pace. It's all about learning to let others get past you safely. The first 10 min is tough, then it gets easier. Before you know it the 45min will be done :)

Well, I only crashed once! I'm racing in VR, so I practiced my awareness without Crew Chief or radar. It was a great increase to immersion to constantly check the environment around me.

The AI was much faster than me - I am actually not very good at driving Caterhams. I didn't have a chance for a clean lap because I was constantly moving around to avoid AI cars. I've done a lot of multiclass racing so I am used to getting passed - I think this helped. I ended up with a best lap of 1:56.611, about 5 seconds slower than the slowest Academy car!

I tried for an overtake only once. I guess this took my attention away from the cars behind, because I totally failed to see 2 cars that were trying to overtake me at the same time. I ended up sideswiping a 620 while moving to the inside line, and I went off into the wall. When it happened it seemed like he came out of nowhere and Tboned me but in the replay it's totally my fault.

Thanks for another great challenge!

Well, I only crashed once! I'm racing in VR, so I practiced my awareness without Crew Chief or radar. It was a great increase to immersion to constantly check the environment around me.

The AI was much faster than me - I am actually not very good at driving Caterhams. I didn't have a chance for a clean lap because I was constantly moving around to avoid AI cars. I've done a lot of multiclass racing so I am used to getting passed - I think this helped. I ended up with a best lap of 1:56.611, about 5 seconds slower than the slowest Academy car!

I tried for an overtake only once. I guess this took my attention away from the cars behind, because I totally failed to see 2 cars that were trying to overtake me at the same time. I ended up sideswiping a 620 while moving to the inside line, and I went off into the wall. When it happened it seemed like he came out of nowhere and Tboned me but in the replay it's totally my fault.

Thanks for another great challenge!
Excellent! You will get better in the Caterham if you continue to practice like this, i.e. carefully and trying to avoid crashing at all times. Gradually the car will come to you. The next challenge will go up tomorrow - get ready for the "Green Hell"!

Excellent! You will get better in the Caterham if you continue to practice like this, i.e. carefully and trying to avoid crashing at all times. Gradually the car will come to you. The next challenge will go up tomorrow - get ready for the "Green Hell"!
I'm pretty sure it is making me better at every kind of car. I recently did time attack laps at Interlagos in every car; I was about 8 seconds off the pace in the Caterhams, but only about 4 seconds off in GT cars even though I never drive them. I got closest to the WR pace in the Ginetta GT4 Supercup, in the first and only lap I ever drove in it.

I'm pretty sure it is making me better at every kind of car. I recently did time attack laps at Interlagos in every car; I was about 8 seconds off the pace in the Caterhams, but only about 4 seconds off in GT cars even though I never drive them. I got closest to the WR pace in the Ginetta GT4 Supercup, in the first and only lap I ever drove in it.
Awesome! There's a lot to be said for taking a more patient approach I think. OK, next challenge for the Caterham: Nordschleife. If you've never managed to make it all the way around, then this series of challenges should have helped you prep for it nicely. Give it a go and let me know!

Caterham Challenge Event 3 - Read This Carefully Before Launching the Sim

Nordshleife 2020 - ‘The Green Hell’

OK, so it’s very likely that not everyone who is reading this has been able to completely learn this infamous, nearly 13 mile long circuit. For those people, this is going to be an immensely difficult challenge - but, nevertheless, it is do-able. In the same way that you never learn much by crashing, it’s especially true that you will NEVER learn the whole of this massive track by crashing! In fact, the only way I eventually learned this track for myself was to SLOW DOWN!.... Then I was finally able to get all the way around it. And then I did it again, and again, and again, gradually storing away mental notes for myself, especially about the parts of the track that gave me the most trouble, and the parts where I absolutely had to be in the right gear at the right time, and in the right part of the track. The more often that you crash, the longer it’s going to take you to learn it, because you keep having to go back to the beginning. While you might have a chance at a circuit where a lap time is typically sub 2 minutes, it’s not going to work at a track where 9 or 10 minutes constitutes a reasonable lap! One bit of good news is that the Caterham Supersport is an excellent fit for this legendary circuit, and if you want to have fun in sim racing, there’s probably no greater fun to be had than completely learning this place and setting a personal best around it every now and then. So, be very determined NOT TO CRASH, put on your seatbelt, jump into your sim rig and let’s do this!**

Set up a race with a 15 minute practice session and a 3 lap race at the Nordschleife 2020, on April 2nd 2017, with practice starting at 7am and the race starting at 8am, with historical weather. Same as yesterday, you’re setting up multiclass, with all four Caterham models and max opponents.

Put yourself at the back of the grid (there’s no qualifying, but you’ll still have all the less powerful Caterham Academy cars behind you on the grid). The practice session will give you a chance to get around the whole track, one time. At the risk of being boring, I’ll say it again…take it SLOWLY. You’d be crazy to crash out on the practice lap and miss the race, so take it easy, especially if you don’t really know the track that well (or at all!). Use the practice lap to make sure you get around the whole track, especially if you haven’t ever managed to do that before. As I have said already, you really don’t learn much from crashing and you definitely won’t learn the whole of the Nordschleife if you keep doing that! There are very few sections where you can safely risk putting a wheel or two off the tarmac. It’s very important to keep it on the black (or cobbled) stuff!

Now, for the race itself: unless you’re very confident (and capable!) of pushing it from the get go, here’s where you will need to utilize what you learned yesterday and practice your defensive driving. The objective of this challenge event is not to win the race, but to SURVIVE IT (often a good strategy to employ for races at the Nordschleife). Make sure you have the radar feature enabled and try to find ways of letting the cars coming up behind you get by safely. Even on low aggression, during the first twisty section up to the Flugplatz, the Caterham Academy AI behind you will try to hustle you around the track, attempting to pass you on both sides (so unless you’re skilled and quick enough to fend them off, stay in the middle and try to let them by without getting damage to yourself). Some of them will likely crash out at some point in the race. Don’t be one of them!! Just let them get past and be super careful yourself! If you manage to survive lap 1 then you should have a really good shot at completing all 3 laps, by which time you will have a true sense of how to navigate the ‘Green Hell’. On the other hand, if you crash, it’s all over for the day, and you’ve wasted a golden opportunity in exchange for an expensive repair bill. So whatever you do, DON’T CRASH!

Score points as follows;

Complete all 3 laps with zero damage - 20 pts
Complete all 3 laps with some non race ending damage - 10pts
Race ending crash - 0pts
Bonus for not finishing last - 10pts (don’t try too hard for this one and cost yourself a finish. Last is absolutely better than nothing!)

**[OPTION: if you have never managed to get all the way around this track before, you can optionally have a ‘private practice day’ in place of or as well as the race day, and learn the track the way I did, by going slowly over many laps. Use the same time and date settings as for the race but make it a Test Session. However the CRASH AND YOU’RE DONE rule still applies. Just because there’s no one else around, your car doesn’t magically become impervious to damage!]

I've spent some time on the Nordschleife before but never really learned the whole track. The whole point of the thing for me was always to just enjoy the drive without really knowing exactly what was coming up.

The practice session was really gorgeous, with the blooming bushes and the sunrise over the mountains. Unfortunately, as I was driving leisurely down a straight, I looked up to admire the rays of the rising sun - and accidentally put a wheel on the grass. That was that for me. I immediately spun out into the wall and killed my suspension. So, no Nordschleife for me unfortunately.

My current points:
Total: 25

I did warn you to keep it on the black stuff :)

Good for you for being honest, but do give it another go sometime soon!

There's three more challenges to go with the Caterham. Time to start racing. I'll post these this coming week!

Caterham Challenge Event 4 - Read This Carefully Before Launching the Sim

Returning from your European tour you arrive home in the UK to receive the welcome news that your application to race in the Supersport Championship has been approved! The season starts at Silverstone! You’ll have 3 sessions - 20 min practice, 20 min qualifying and a 20min + 1 lap race. Use everything you’ve learned from the first three challenge events. First and foremost, keep it out of the barriers, regardless of what the other drivers are doing. Do your best to get a good qualifying time. You’ll be racing on the National circuit which has plenty of room for overtaking, so you can be less concerned about being in amongst the pack, assuming you’re able to qualify further up the field. You know this car pretty well by now, so hopefully you can get a good spot on the grid..

Choose the Silverstone National circuit. Set the date for April 9th 2017. Set practice for 20min starting at 10am, qualifying for 20min at 11am, and a 20min + 1 lap race starting at 1pm. Use historic weather. You’re only racing against fellow Supersport drivers, so choose 23 competitors, identical cars (hopefully using my custom AI file if you installed it). The track’s going to be moist during qualifying which makes things a little tougher, but the race itself should stay dry.

If you’ve never tinkered with the setup, now may be the time to do it, during the practice session. Steelreserv has a great setup tutorial for the car here..

Custom Default Series Ep 22 - Caterham 360R Supersport - feat. Snetterton

This is the first of five races in the series. Of course you want to do well, but not at any cost. Crash out and you’ll miss the second race while your car gets repairs!

Get a podium - 25pts
Top 10 - 20pts
Finish the race 11th or lower - 15pts
Crash - 0pts

Well, that was an experience! I've never tried to race on a wet track before, so I was curious to see what would happen. Unfortunately, it was a complete nightmare. I went off the track and sideswiped a barrier on one of the first corners, and headed back to the pits to sort my suspension. On my next out lap, I spun on the throttle and got T-boned by an AI driver, flipping my car and totaling it - all the pieces that could come off, came off.

But I went ahead and did the race anyhow, starting from last place, having failed to put in a single lap during qualifying. It was actually one of the most enjoyable races I've done. I had lots of close, clean battles in the backfield, without any contact. I did most of my overtaking at Brooklands - the AMS2 AI seems worst on long mid-speed corners, slowing way too much and taking a wide line. I also picked up a few places on the Maggots/Village corners where the National track cuts across the GP circuit. I ended the race in 12th place. The AI was level 90, and I was 1/100th off the fastest lap pace, so that seems like a good level for me right now.

I guess that's still 0 points, but the race was fun anyhow :)

Last edited:
Good effort! That's 15 pts. We can overlook the minor incidents in practice ;)

There's more damp weather to come. It's the UK in April after all! When it's really wet in practice or qualifying for these challenges, it's probably worth sitting those sessions out. I really struggled in the wet when I was putting these challenges together. I'm getting better. As usual, practice is everything. Next up, Oulton Park!

Caterham Challenge Event 5 - Read This Carefully Before Launching the Sim

Next up, Oulton Park, Fosters layout, for race #2 in the series.
Set the date for April 16th 2017. Set practice for 20min starting at 10am, qualifying for 20min at 11am, and a 20min + 1 lap race starting at 1pm. Use historic weather. Again, you're only racing against fellow Supersport drivers, so choose 23 competitors, identical cars (hopefully using my custom AI file if you installed it).

You know the drill by now - no crashing! First and foremost in your mind at all times should be the goal to keep it out of the barriers. There's a good chance of some rain again this week. If it gets anything more than damp / moist during practice or qualifying, maybe choose to wait it out. You can always return to the pits and go to the monitor to watch the AI guys for awhile. You might even pick up some ideas for different lines to take.

Get a podium - 25pts
Top 10 - 20pts
Finish the race 11th or lower - 15pts
Crash - 0pts

Another non-crash victory!

I love Oulton Fosters, but I've been spending a lot of time in the CCB Gol and the Lancer lately, throwing them around Curvelo and doing Rally/Rallycross in Pcars2, Dirt Rally 2, and Live For Speed. So going back to the Caterham at Fosters was quite an adjustment. I'm also working on a new driving technique: clutchless downshifts under braking instead of heel-toe. This is a great technique for FWD and AWD cars, especially in rallying, since it lets you stay on the throttle and brake at the same time. It's also great for regular track driving in any car.

The wet practice session was useless for me - if I drove slowly enough to keep it on the track consistently, I was more than 20 seconds off the pace. Even in the dry, it was tough for me to keep up. I usually have the AI on 110 and fight it out with the back of the pack for 20th place - my plan is to keep the AI at 110 and just move up the grid as I improve, rather than continually adjusting the AI strength so that I always get a podium. Here I had to reduce the AI to 100, and eventually managed to qualify 19th. Nailing these corners at Oulton is so satisfying when I get it right - I swear I can feel the G-forces in my gut when I go through Lodge.

The start of the race went pretty well, and I managed to fight up to 17th place over the first few laps. The AI is worse than me through Knickerbrook, so the next flat-out section before Druids is a great overtaking opportunity. Unfortunately, this was to be my undoing. I got a good run on the next car and was set to overtake with an inside line towards druids. But as we came out of Clay Hill, he moved over to the right and I tapped his bumper. This sent me off the track, and I dropped back down to last place, with a 7-second gap. I guess I still need to learn some patience.

I was optimistic that I could make up the time, and I was cutting it down by about 1 second per lap. But then I would make a little mistake like locking up my brakes or missing a downshift and the gap would open back up. Eventually I got more consistent, but I only managed to narrow to 1.5 seconds before the end of the race.

So I didn't get to have many good battles, but I did finish without crashing. And I managed to get through the whole 20 minutes using the new clutchless downshift technique without killing my transmission. So this counts as another personal victory for me!

Points so far:
Total: 55

Thanks for the report. Great info and good work with the race completion! I like to keep things as close to real as I can, within the confines of the sim. With all the aids disabled, AMS 2 does allow you to drive most H-shifter cars (maybe all of them) without using the clutch, but you do need to rev match pretty precisely, otherwise, as it seems you have found out already, the gearbox will fail after a while. I find the tolerance for it varies from car to car. It's certainly less work than heel-toe and left foot braking can improve your times, for sure!

Well, from here out for the challenge I was planning another 3 races in the Caterham at UK tracks, using the same settings and points. I wanted one of them to be Snetterton on the 200 layout, but it's still broken in AMS 2 (fixed in the beta though). So, if you want to do them, the final three would be Brands Hatch Indy, Donnington National and lastly, the wonderful, tight 'n twisty Cadwell Park!

I know you favor the Lancer RS. I think the Lancer is a good step up from the Caterham for a next Challenge. Supposedly there was a Brazilian series for the Lancers but it ended in 2016. We may have to bring it back for our 'career' driver. The South American circuits in AMS 2 are great for the Lancers :)

I will definitely do those races. I like all of those tracks (except Snetterton which I haven't been able to test yet) and I've watched some Caterham, Mini, and Ginetta races at Donington on YouTube.

I forgot to mention - I finally started playing around with the diff and it makes such a huge difference! I prefer a loose diff, with 20nm preload and 2 or 4 clutches. With a tighter diff I find myself struggling with wheelspin on corner exit - this probably just means that I have to improve my driving. Loosening the diff makes me faster and makes the car a lot more controllable so that's where I am for now.

I've cooled on the Lancer a bit since I started clutchless downshifts. The Copa Classic Passat and Gol have a similar driving style and I think I prefer them on track. They are slower than the Lancer, but they feel faster to me because they are lighter. The Passat is the most similar to the Lancer, but I like the Gol best because it feels more nimble and lively. As a generalization, the Gol pivots to oversteer more whereas the Passat slides sideways more. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the Lancer vs the Passat and Gol.

EDIT: I'm going back and forth on the Lancer. Maybe I prefer the CCFL Passat to the Lancer R with the manual transmission - but the Lancer RS still feels very different. Maybe there are more differences between the two Lancers than is shown on the info screen. Maybe the sequential transmission just frees up some mental power to drive the car harder.

Thank you again for making this challenge! I've gotten much better at finishing races without crashing, and it's a very rewarding way to race.

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 450 69.7%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 279 43.2%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 297 46.0%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 133 20.6%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 174 26.9%
Back