Can't get past 'Enter Player Name' screen

Dave_6

Premium
Cross posting this from the Reiza forums as I haven't got a response in over a week.

I built a new PC about three weeks ago and I'm now getting around to (attempting) to get all my sims setup and working again. I copied all 'My Documents' folder over to another drive during the build then moved them back over once it was up and running. For whatever reason I've still had to re-bind everything in every sim so far but it is what it is. Anyways, went to try out AMS and I get stuck at the 'enter player name' screen. I have to Alt+tab to get out and close the game via the Steam launcher. I already had multiple hours in the sim but I assume this is related to having to rebind everything again. I tried searching last night for quite a while but couldn't find a resolution to this issue.

So you copied the game folder over. Did you copy the folder that's in the my documents? Been a while since I mucked around with AMS but I think it's looking for files that are in that folder.
I presume it's a Steam install, you could try to use Steam to verify files.

So you copied the game folder over. Did you copy the folder that's in the my documents? Been a while since I mucked around with AMS but I think it's looking for files that are in that folder.
I presume it's a Steam install, you could try to use Steam to verify files.
Yeah I copied the folder from 'My Documents'. The game itself isn't on the main drive so it didn't get touched. I haven't tried verifying the files yet but I will do that just to check.

So I think the location of game files are listed in the config.ini file or the playername.plr I presume there is a mistake caused by the copying of files. You can open these with notepad and look for the lines and check them. I guess you tried running the amssetup file and set your video settings.

Long story short, was Googling again and found a thread on the Reiza forums from 2019. Someone had the exact same issue as me after a fresh build. I had to copy my profile from my UserData folder in the MyDocuments folder and put it into the UserData folder in the game install folder. Then launch the game as administrator. Weird that I have to do that now.

Getting some of these old(er) sims working again is a major PITA. Now onto GT Legends, PnG and getting GTR2 100% done.

Hey mate, I recently had the same issue. I solved it by deleting my user data folder (moved to another location, changing the name, whatever) and letting the game to create it from scratch. Once the folder with all the files was created I copy-pasted all the files except the main configuration file because otherwise I still had the problem.
The final solution was opening both files, old and new ones, side by side and coping all my settings manually. I used a program called winmerge to do so. The only downside of this method is that I lost all my lap records and stats.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back