Can Tripple screens run with VRR / G-Sync / Freesync?

Hi peeps,

I have a triple screen set up all with Freesync but I'm using a 3090 card, so it's kind of compatible.

I can get G-Sync / Freesync running when using one of the monitors as I can see the built in hz counter changing.

But when I try to use all 3 the VRR clearly isn't running any more as the counter will just lock to 144hz (or whatever hz I've set the monitors to).

Dose this sort of tech actually work for anyone on 3 monitors?

Just wondering if it simple won't work on 3 or if I need to be on the look out for different/better monitors. The ones I got where budget friendly but maybe not the best.

They have quirks (I can see scan lines when running at 60Hz for example) so I probably wouldn't recommend them but I got them at a good price £150.

At the moment I have locked them all to 70hz with a custom res higher than there normal 1080p to help smooth out pixels I can keep this running pretty constant in ACC/AMS2 so get smooth gameplay.

Cheers for any input.

Last edited:
Yes it does work. I have 3 G-Sync monitors, with my old 1080ti I couldn't get G-Sync to work across surround but now with my new 3080 i have G-Sync working beautifully. It is so smooth at any frame rate, I'm so happy. I have enabled the little G-Sync icon from the NVCP just so I can see it.
I use all DP cables and have 144Hz set in Windows and NVCP at 5829x1080 144Hz, no V-Sync in game or NVCP, just letting G-Sync do its thing.
I'm in love with how great it actually is.

I have a tripple screen set up all with Freesync but I'm using a 3090 card, so it's kind of compatable.
TL;DR: No - your monitors are not VRR compatible for Triples.

While Nvidia cards can activate Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) on single FreeSync monitors, the issue becomes a lot more complicated with multiple monitors. For triples, Nvidia supports the following:

a) Identical G-Sync, G-Sync Ultimate (when using a GTX or RTX card): G-Sync is Nvidia’s proprietary standard and VRR is fully supported across Triples;

b) Identical G-Sync Compatible (only for RTX 20xx and RTX 30xx cards): These are FreeSync monitors that meet a certain specification so that Nvidia supports these too. Nvidia includes these specific monitors within the Nvidia graphics card drivers; however I have seen some multi-monitor users report VRR issues with identical G-Sync Compatible monitors;

FreeSync, FreeSync 2, FreeSync Premium, FreeSync Premium Pro: Similar to b) above these are all FreeSync monitors but they either don't meet Nvidia's required specifications, or Nvidia haven't gotten around to certifying them as G-Sync Compatible. Hence they are not supported for triples and thus are buyer beware. VRR may or may not work, which could mean many things like VRR won't activate or you will see artefacts like flickering.

Normally Nvidia Surround is required to activate VRR & bezel adjustment across Triples, and this is where Triple FreeSync users can become stuck. Some games (e.g. iRacing) can work across Triples when Nvidia Surround is turned off, by using Windowed Mode and stretching the image across 3 monitors.

I have only seen evidence of a Dell S3220DGF (non-G-Sync Compatible) monitor working with VRR on an RTX card. Some other non-G-Sync Compatible monitors may also having working VRR in multi-monitor mode, but purchase these at your own risk.

If you want functioning VRR and you can change your monitors, then I suggest you switch to either a) or b) above.

Bringing up old thread to share my experience and question on the topic.
I have triple monitors - samsung g7 27" qhd, gsync compatible, running on 4090 via display ports.

The only way I was able to get gsync working on all three monitors (in Assetto Corsa Competizione) was using nvidia surround.

Now my question is if someone have found another way, without nvidia surround, getting triple gsyng work? For example with SWRE?

Last edited:
Yes, Nvidia drivers will activate VRR across multiple, identical monitors G-Sync Compatible screens without Nvidia Surround. I do this with MS Flight Simulator (RTX 4090 / 3 x DisplayPort / Windows 10) where that game supports running multiple, individual screens.

However I find VRR to be hit and miss in this configuration. VRR sometimes activates on all 3 screens, sometimes only on 1 screen and sometimes VRR flickers on and off on all 3 screens, and I don't know why. Sometimes a reboot gets it working.

Conversely, when Nvidia Surround is activated, VRR works 90% of the time, where a reboot fixes it when VRR isn't activated, so where possible I play games with Surround turned on.

Aah thank, so it is game dependent.
Unfortunately ACC do not support individual triples, and probably that is why I could not get gsync working without surround.

Just for experimenting I will install some other titles I have, I think Automobilista 2 or Project Carss 2 had individual triples support. Will try.

PS/edit: Tried with Project Cars 2 - it supports individual triples, but could not gsync working correctly on all three screens. Only the central one was working.

Last edited:
New findings here. It's monitors dependent!
I switched from samsung g7 triples to LG triples (again gsync compatible), and now I can see that gsync works (by having monitor osd showing fps/hz on each display) on all of them in any mode.
In Assetto Corsa competizione as surround or borderless windowed.
In Project Cars 2 as triple individuals.

It's just amazing.

Last edited:
New findings here. It's monitors dependent!
I switched from samsung g7 triples to LG triples (again gsync compatible), and now I can see that gsync works (by having monitor osd showing fps/hz on each display) on all of them in any mode.
In Assetto Corsa competizione as surround or borderless windowed.
In Project Cars 2 as triple individuals.

It's just amazing.
So don’t buy G7s then I take it.

Im just researching what monitors to buy for a triple set up and keep stumbling. The g7 curved seems like it would be really good but if gsync doesn’t work then is it worth the money? What was your experience with the curved screens are you happier with the new flats?

Initially, before I moved to triples I had single curved 49" G9 and I loved it's curvature. That is why I insisted on having curves again and chose G7.

They was very good in terms of immersion (because of the curvature), and they also have best response time among VAs. But besides triple gsync issue, there were too many other problems (scanlines, blackouts, stutters in some borderline fps/monitor hz situations and so on).

So I gave up and went to LG IPS flat triples. In terms of immersion it's better than what I expected. In every other aspect (gsync, picture clarity, colors, response times...) its even better.
The only "issue" with the flat panels I have is that when I use them on the desktop apps, they look to me like convex, but that is probably because my brain is still used to the the previous curvature.

So in short overall I am much happier with the flats.

P.S. dont go for G7 :) it will cause more problems than pleasure, it's not worth its money.

Last edited:
I actually ran into this issue when I switched to an AMD 7900XTX as the new card only has 2 HDMI and 2 DP ports. After a deep dive it turned out that my monitors don't support the same refresh rates on HDMI that it does for DP. To resolve it I created custom resolutions that matched completely in every regard, and now I can play at 144Hz. I haven't bothered to try creating a custom 165Hz yet as I think 165hz is outside the HDMI range.

Initially, before I moved to triples I had single curved 49" G9 and I loved it's curvature. That is why I insisted on having curves again and chose G7.

They was very good in terms of immersion (because of the curvature), and they also have best response time among VAs. But besides triple gsync issue, there were too many other problems (scanlines, blackouts, stutters in some borderline fps/monitor hz situations and so on).

So I gave up and went to LG IPS flat triples. In terms of immersion it's better than what I expected. In every other aspect (gsync, picture clarity, colors, response times...) its even better.
The only "issue" with the flat panels I have is that when I use them on the desktop apps, they look to me like convex, but that is probably because my brain is still used to the the previous curvature.

So in short overall I am much happier with the flats.

P.S. dont go for G7 :) it will cause more problems than pleasure, it's not worth its money.
Before you replied I actually ordered 3 LG IPS panels. Thanks for the advice. I also had a g9 before too

My are 27GP850. Using them for almost month now, I noticed one thing i dont like.
When they are cold I see some very thin pattern of verical lines pattern especially on solid colors, on all three. But this is only for the first 10 minutes until they warm up.
Please share if you see this when you set them up.

Last edited:
Ah I’ve not noticed that yet but will keep an eye out. All seems to be pretty good so far. Just need to get some good simucube pro 2 wheel base settings. Coming from fanatec there a guy that makes great profiles for every car but I haven’t found someone who does good profiles yet, I mean I haven’t looked but that’s what I’m after now

I'm not sure if this still stands today, but when NVIDIA added VRR multi-monitor support back in 2019, those were the "official" requirements:
  1. A Turing-architecture GeForce RTX or GTX graphics card
  2. Windows 10, version 1809 or later
  3. Three identical G-SYNC Compatible gaming monitors
  4. All monitors connected to the primary (master) GPU in SLI configurations
  5. A Surround resolution set in the NVIDIA Control Panel, rather than using the three monitors separately
For example, if you had three 1920x1080 monitors, the resolution in the NVIDIA Control Panel must be set to 5760x1080 in Surround mode, rather than using the three monitors independently.

This is a surprisingly narrow topic, and I have struggled to find information. I guess I was lucky when I bought my three Samsung G3 Freesync monitors: They run G-Sync in Surround mode without any hassle, even though they're not "G-Sync compatible". But only the centre one will do it without Surround. So I'm just running Surround.

I have an RTX 2070 Super and I'm looking to replace it anyway.

So: Will I be better off with an AMD videocard for my monitors? Will a Radeon card be able run VRR on all three monitors - both with EyeFinity and in regular multimonitor setup?

@Fleskebacon, I had the same situation with triple g7 (officially in nvidia gsync compatible list) - in surround all have gsync, without surround only the middle one.
With the LGs I got triple gsync with and without surround.
So it depends on the monitors model. I have not tried with amd card, so I don't know what will be the situation there.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.