Can some one please help me ref Setting up three monitors

Hi first of all i have been playing race sims for quite some time now and wish to improve my experience with them by looking at three screens! i am not interested in vr yet and have tried it loved it at the time but was made to feel quite sick by it! So i am looking to get three monitors to get the best feel from my sim racing i have though in the past brought a few monitors having had to send them back due to dead pixels, back bleeding etc , and the price of monitors these days i feel are quite expensive especially if going for a big Monitor! , so i wont rule out going back to tvs , However i am told by so many that tvs wont give me a clear/sharp picture compared to a monitor unless i went for the up and coming lg Nvidia oled tvs which are well out of my price range , and i know some of you reading this will also of come across this same question dozens of times but i am asking these questions for my set up and would be really appreciative if i could get some helpful advice please!

1) First question haven't got a massive room so looking at 24 or 27 inch monitors think 32 may be too big? i have noticed that some people have got the cars sitting better in the three screens depending on the size of the monitor or is this due to the set up we make in the fov setting etc

2) 1080p vs 1440 ? 144 hertz Monitors. Will 1080p really be a shock to the system but surly it will help in giving me better fps and a smoother experience !

3) I have a i7 9700f with a 2070 (not super) rtx card, loads of memory , sdd drive and i want to get the best fps performance with enough eye candy as i can, as i do like my sims to look good while playing (flight and race sims)

4) worried a little about the bezels getting in the way , do you really notice them badly ( i dont want to go ultra wide)

5) Tn or ips ?

6) Budget i have seen aoc do some well priced 1080p 144 hertz monitors for around £160 to £215 they seem quite impressive , but would appreciate any advice on what to look for, yes i know this subject has come up no doubt a fair few times but after many years of should i or shouldn't i , i wish to make that decisions now and get set up with three screens so if your able to help please do

Thanks

1) If you drive tintops and want a realistic FOV, then 27" is the minimum. Because you give race sims your monitor dimensions and screen distance, FOV is automatically calculated. Yes, you can fool FOV by giving fake dimensions.

2) With a 2070, you're not going to get adequate fps with a 1440p monitor, so stick with 1080p. With 1080p, the pixels get chunky if you try 32", though a few people are fine with 1080p on 32".

3) You're fine at 1080p.

4) Shop carefully and get the slimmest bezels you can. De-bezeling monitors used to be a thing, but modern monitors ship with nearly no bezel anyways, so it's just the black border that's built into the panel. The bigger a monitor is, the less you notice the bezel because there's more screen space.

5) I'm a fan of IPS because of the color intensity. Tradeoff is a slightly slower screen response and harder to find high refresh rates.

6) Must have features: VESA mount, display port, and probably adaptive sync (mine currently don't have adaptive sync, but that's okay for me)

Upvote 0
1) If you drive tintops and want a realistic FOV, then 27" is the minimum. Because you give race sims your monitor dimensions and screen distance, FOV is automatically calculated. Yes, you can fool FOV by giving fake dimensions.

2) With a 2070, you're not going to get adequate fps with a 1440p monitor, so stick with 1080p. With 1080p, the pixels get chunky if you try 32", though a few people are fine with 1080p on 32".

3) You're fine at 1080p.

4) Shop carefully and get the slimmest bezels you can. De-bezeling monitors used to be a thing, but modern monitors ship with nearly no bezel anyways, so it's just the black border that's built into the panel. The bigger a monitor is, the less you notice the bezel because there's more screen space.

5) I'm a fan of IPS because of the color intensity. Tradeoff is a slightly slower screen response and harder to find high refresh rates.

6) Must have features: VESA mount, display port, and probably adaptive sync (mine currently don't have adaptive sync, but that's okay for me)

would i be looking at 144 hertz monitor or will 75 hertz be ok what would you recommend! going for 27 inch monitors

Upvote 0
I have been watching many many monitors last few weeks and in the same debate, although I know exactly what I want now.
As the question for 27" or 32", 27" is tad smaller but perfectly fine or even ideal. You can get away with 1080p. 32" is luxury and they are about 10cm wider and higher but you need 1440p 100%. As for the specs all depends on budget but ideally: 1440p - 144hz - low respons 1-5ms ( check reviews ! ) - IPS - Gsync ( freesync2 or pro works fine 2 these days ) and last option not a must but nice to have HDR ( HDR 10 support ).

imho go for 1440p and just lower the settings ingame for now to get decent fps. Anything like 1080ti or something upwards of 2070 will be fine for now. Those monitors will costs you 800-1500 and will last for many many years. So next year upgrade your gpu and bang...your golden while if you cheap out on 1080p now next year or the year after you want to upgrade them monitors again and wasted a good amount of money as they will be worth 20-30% of new value.

Check the web lots of info to be found ^^

Last edited:
Upvote 0
would i be looking at 144 hertz monitor or will 75 hertz be ok what would you recommend! going for 27 inch monitors
I run my non-adaptive sync at 75 Hz, but I'd really like higher refresh if possible since going around hairpins is still just a little less than it could be. That's where you most notice the refresh being not good enough. 90 Hz would be enough.

Upvote 0
I have a 5 year old pc with updated gpu (rtx 2070) and three 27" 1080p 75hz screens. I would like to upgrade to 32 inch 1080p screens with 144hz but my pc won't be able to pull that off fluently. So if I scale down to 90hz f.e. will that work fluently?
I play mainly acc on low/medium settings with 85fps. I do play ghostrecon wildlands at around 57fps.

Will I regret my decision and should I just wait a few more years or just go for it? I am not the one aiming for most beautiful graphics and will always go for fluid performance over beautiful graphics.

Thnx in advance

Upvote 0
I have a 5 year old pc with updated gpu (rtx 2070) and three 27" 1080p 75hz screens. I would like to upgrade to 32 inch 1080p screens with 144hz but my pc won't be able to pull that off fluently. So if I scale down to 90hz f.e. will that work fluently?
I play mainly acc on low/medium settings with 85fps. I do play ghostrecon wildlands at around 57fps.
144 Hz monitors are adaptive sync, so there's no need to scale it down, it's happy with whatever your computer is sending and won't stutter as long as your fps is above 45 Hz (or something like that).

Upvote 0
So if I understand you correctly it is better to buy 144hz monitors (definitely with an eye on the longterm future) and I don't need to worry about the chance of my pc not being able to handle them cause they are only 1080p?

Upvote 0
Another question:
Just with the future pc update in mind in a couple of years: Would it be wise to go for 3x 1440p monitors and select 1080p mode for now? Or would it be worse performancewise then 3 standard 1080p monitors?

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea