GT Sport Can anyone give me the lowdown on what GT Sport drives like?

Just curious (for now), but can anyone with some GT Sport experience give me a take on what you think the driving experience is like?

I do have GT6 experience for a frame of reference, if that helps. My personal take on GT6 is that I think the car physics themselves are actually very solid, but I find the FFB effects to be extremely lifeless and not informative in the ways I need them to be informative in order to push the car.

My educated guess is that physics/FFB in GT Sport are very much like GT6 - is that a safe assumption?

I'm not a fan of the simcade label, because a game cannot by definition be a simulation and an arcade at the same time. Not to mention the hardcore crowd who use it as a diss against anything that isn't their preferred simulation.

What you're getting with GT Sport is a 'light' simulation. The raw driving physics are realistic, but it lacks nuances and variables. Engine and brake temperatures are static. Tyre and track temperatures are either static, or aren't properly conveyed. Car set-ups are simplified, pit entry is automated... though both of these applied to GT6 too.

No weather yet either, and when it comes it's almost certain to be fixed rain and not dynamic. Mechanical damage is improved from 6, but you still can't total your car and the visual damage is virtually non-existent. In summary, the real driving simulator, but not a full simulation beyond that.

With that said, it's still a very enjoyable game, especially if you get invested in the sport mode. Even if you don't however, single player isn't the bare bones experience that it was on launch.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the simcade label, because a game cannot by definition be a simulation and an arcade at the same time. Not to mention the hardcore crowd who use it as a diss against anything that isn't their preferred simulation.

What you're getting with GT Sport is a 'light' simulation. The raw driving physics are realistic, but it lacks nuances and variables. Engine and brake temperatures are static. Tyre and track temperatures are either static, or aren't properly conveyed. Car set-ups are simplified, pit entry is automated... though both of these applied to GT6 too.

No weather yet either, and when it comes it's almost certain to be fixed rain and not dynamic. Mechanical damage is improved from 6, but you still can't total your car and the visual damage is virtually non-existent. In summary, the real driving simulator, but not a full simulation beyond that.

With that said, it's still a very enjoyable game, especially if you get invested in the sport mode. Even if you don't however, single player isn't the bare bones experience that it was on launch.
It's a simcade then, the fact that shadows are drawn on AI cars based on your own position on track i.e passing under a bridge does not qualify the game as a simulator haha

Okay now you're just being annoying by using a word you know I don't like to rile me up. Simulation and Arcade have the exact opposite meaning, calling anything a simcade is an oxymoron and even if certain people hadn't turned it into an insult, it still wouldn't be the best word to describe the likes of Forza, Grid and GT.

Last edited:
I didn't want it to sound like GT Sport wasn't worth it period, because when directly compared to 6, there are some huge improvements. The framerate issues are gone. The rubberbanding that killed GT6 single player has been turned down immensely outside of some GT League events. Custom race is a big addition too. The AI still needs work, but on some car/track combinations they can offer a legit challenge.

I've been a Gran Turismo fan ever since the first game, but I will admit that not every simracer is going to see this as a must buy. It really depends on how important a 'deep' simulation is for you and whether or not you think you'll like Sport modes 'iRacing Lite' set-up.

What is the driving experience like?

I had it for awhile, here's a piece of my honest opinion.

The tire model feels like you're driving around on bars of soap, bars of soap that never stop squealing like you're poking a pig with a hot prod.

The FFB feels like a flight simulation landing a DC10 in deep mud with no landing gear.

The FOV adjustments should have came with a telephone book to sit on and a set of coke bottle glasses because you can't see a ****ing thing out of the 3 inch wide windscreens while you're sitting on the floorboard.

Uh huh it's pretty but so is my air cooled Ducati that can't go around the block without throwing up or electrocuting itself.

The tire model reminds me iRacing and R3E. It feels sometimes really strange, a little bit like driving on ice but more sim than arcade. Especially when you turn off the ABS and TC. But it is not realistic as RF2/AC or even PC2. FFB is a personal thing but you really can feel the road with higher FFB settings.

Graphics are quite awesome. However the night looks kinda strange.

And unfortunately it lacks of multiclass racing (even FM7 has it) and has no custom and dynamic weather.

Last edited:
Its a conso,le game so largely mroe arcade than true sim.

It plays OK, with a wheel is much better obviously. But the online mdoe is terribly frustrating, the penalty system is by far the worst of any game.

Some nice touches, but, yeah, it's a console game so what do you expect.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.