AC BTCC Shake Down Under @ Bathurst - Sunday 20th August 2023

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Wow. That was definitely challenging, but also good fun. What a track. No room for error.
Great racing everyone, congrats to all that survived. Lol. Everybody had amazing pace and there was surprisingly little chaos. Except for race 2 turn 1. Which unfortunately I got caught up in but it wasn’t really anyone’s fault just random ping spikes.

Got turned around facing wrong way on track then epic fail trying to get turned around and stuck into wall instead. Oh dear.
Other than this I mostly got through the two races with little incident.

I started the week with a bit of trepidation regarding the circuit/car combo, but resolved to attempt to make the best of it. I've always regarded Bathurst as one of the true greats, but never matched it's greatness with equal amounts of talent.

The race today exceeded my expectations. Great races with Brian and Hank. I still need to work on my consistency (don't run the soft tires if you plan on spinning twice), but I'm looking forward to the championship!

I had two very intense races without major mistakes.

Jason gave me a hard time in both races but especially in race 2, when he managed to overtake me. Later he had a little mistake, so I finished very close in front of him. Well done mate!

Congrats to all survivors!

Now heading to one of my most hated tracks... :rolleyes:

Sorry for the ping fest in R2 L1 T1. I suspect OneDrive was backing up the replay of R1. I usually pause it during a race but forgot.

I've somehow got OneDrive backing up the AC directory and don't know how to stop it permanently. And ideas? I remember Rasmus having a method but can't find the post.

Edit

Found it

Post in thread 'Round 12 of 23 Formula Agile@Hungaroring1988 Thu, 20th July 2023' https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...ng1988-thu-20th-july-2023.261387/post-3693492

Last edited:
Gents;
I forgot to mention, for anyone looking to keep the punishment going, and can't get enough of this track :D with its lovely concrete walls, we've got another race at Bathurst on the schedule for next Friday.

This time, we're taking it up a level, and we'll be driving V8 Supercars. Not going to lie, these cars are a handful, and require a lot of delicate foot/pedal work but I know you guys are up to the challenge. Me on the other hand, that's a different story :unsure:
Hope to see you there!

Sorry for the ping fest in R2 L1 T1. I suspect OneDrive was backing up the replay of R1. I usually pause it during a race but forgot.

I've somehow got OneDrive backing up the AC directory and don't know how to stop it permanently. And ideas? I remember Rasmus having a method but can't find the post.
I had the same issue Colin, ping was going north of 700ms on my new machine as Onedrive backed up the replay between sessions causing no end of weird warping for others.:redface:
Rasmus is a star and disabled Onedrive without uninstalling it completely. Problem fixed and ping now a very steady at 15ms at all times during a race event.:thumbsup:

I had the same issue Colin, ping was going north of 700ms on my new machine as Onedrive backed up the replay between sessions causing no end of weird warping for others.:redface:
Rasmus is a star and disabled Onedrive without uninstalling it completely. Problem fixed and ping now a very steady at 15ms at all times during a race event.:thumbsup:
Was it was of these methods...

To anyone who maybe remotly interested.:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Still buzzing around Bathurst, rotten track to race , great for testing. I am down to a 2-14.5 and have been putting a lot of effort into trying to understand setups, track and driving.
Running from bog standard to my so called best setup.:O_o:

There is still time there with the two left hand fast bends at the hill top.
Two problems, I still cannot take them flat, and I do not have the timing of our aliens for brake, turn, accelerate,

My much shortened response is. there is very little resolution in the setup parameters, except gearing, tyre pressure, probably something else in there somewhere, to a reasonable degree.

My overall conclusion is.
Driver skill. ( it probably applies to a limit, rather than paramount thing, the below goes a long way into countering that, but ultimately it is the top factor )

practice. ( how much is a preverbal, how long is a piece of sting )

Setup, getting it right, the resolution is not that critical.

Getting to know the car, set up and applying it to the circuit and driver
( I think that is why it is difficult to transfer setups, unless it is something major, rare? )

There are driving technics, Allans is an obvious example. the rest is I think down to adapting it to a talent, I have yet to see a slower competitor morph in to a swan. It usually down the refinement and most importantly, stopping constantly coming off.

Ironically I came from the other end, slow but never came off, the faster have got the less that applies, but it is still my guiding light.

Just one , I think important factor, the skilled aliens need far less practice .

Setups are now in my book of very important things. The rest are not in my control, I certainly do not want to put as much ( near to zero the better ) into my future racing again, I am virtually all bathursted out.

Was it was of these methods...

Nope! These methods "kill" onedrive. What you need to do is to disable the auto-backup of your "personal folders": desktop, pictures, documents etc.
For some reason Microsoft decided to make that the default when installing windows 10/11 since a few years and the step in the configuration screens during the windows install isn't really telling you.

It's a bit tricky, sadly, because Microsoft isn't even using "virtual links". It instead puts your personal folders into the onedrive folder and then sets the "default path to the personal folders" into onedrive.
So any program that check the default path, will find your data.
But if a program simply uses the standard path without checking for the path that Windows set: you'll get issues.

What I did via team viewer with Paul:
- open the onedrive settings and uncheck the auto backup of the personal folders

- restart

- the standard folders should now be where they should (C:/users/colin/desktop) instead of something like C:/users/colin/onedrive/desktop.

- sadly, Windows and onedrive aren't intelligent so the new folders are empty...

- copy the contents of each folder into the new folder

- right click on the folders in the top left of windows Explorer: properties - > change the default paths

- sadly, programs like Content Manager won't detect this... So you might need to adjust programs manually that don't detect this.
Acti, CM, maybe crew chief...

It's a massive **** show by Microsoft to be honest. It can really screw things up and cause massive slow downs and fixing it isn't easy at all.

The other possibility is to freshly install windows, back things up etc and make sure to uncheck this onedrive BS during the installation.
I mean it's quite cool not having to worry about data loss in case your disk breaks down, but I bet the ratio of issues vs needing this backup is 2.000.000 : 1 :(

I was very pleased that in both races we managed to "not do anything stupid" on the mountain.
Of course nobody could expect this to last.....:cool:

First race was ok for me, second fell apart after I reached P5 by collecting freebies and (oh wonder) actually overtaking some one :cry:

I seriously need to find out why I suck on the brakes. I had several instances where I had to steer alongside to not rearend someone. Sorry about that (eg with Paul at the Chase)

Last edited:
I was very pleased that in both races we managed to "not do anything stupid" on the mountain.
Of course nobody could expect this to last.....:cool:

First race was ok for me, second fell apart after I reached P5 by collecting freebies and (oh wonder) actually overtaking some one :cry:

I seriously need to find out why I suck on the brakes. I had several instances where I had to steer alongside to not rearend someone. Sorry about that (eg with Paul at the Chase)
No doubt you have your brake pedal set up correctly :) but I found this setup guide useful

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 464 70.1%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 283 42.7%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 306 46.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 135 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 180 27.2%
Back