brundle vs schumacher and similar cases

as i speak spanish... i don't know much about certain english speaking journalistic situations and areas... like any f1 fan, i care about the races, the drivers and the cars... i was not interested (until now) in the dealings they had with this or that journalist.
to keep in mind:
-some drivers are more "difficult" to deal with
-some journalists know "where it hurts".
-sometimes (from a long time ago) something happened between them and they still get along badly.

questions:
what really happened between brundle and schumacher? from where and when does it come from? (schumi is not so friendly, but he is not a "villeneuve" either).

something similar i think ("i think") happened between Alonso and johnny herbert (someone clarify it to me?)

villeneuve: he is known for saying the first thing that crosses his mind... but he doesn't seem to have any enemies.

pd: in the table of those who don't get along BAD with anyone are: damon hill, mika hakkinen, barrichello, fisichella, alesi, button, De la Rosa, kubica, Albon, giovinazzi, Latiffi, (about how they treat each other in public). ...i'd like to be at that table, can you imagine?

Sin título.png

Last edited:
You might enjoy the book "Drivers on Drivers: Motorsport greats on their rivals, teammates and heroes", from Porter Press International.

There was some animosity when Brundle and Schumacher were at Bennetton, the former thinking the latter was getting all the attention and the best equipment; Brundle had somewhat more experience in F1 and felt slighted. But he later said of Schumacher, “Michael was good fun. We used to joke about him being first out of the taxi and last into the bar, and all that sort of thing. But he was a good guy. And yeah, we had some fun together".

Brunddle was a good driver but his job at Benetton was to be number 2. Any other team mate has to play the team game and let Michael be the superstar driver. Brundlle was team mates with another British driver name Mark Blundell at Tyrrell and even Ligier and McLaren who was a good buddy. And they shared a lot of data and helped each other out. Martin Brundell and Mark Blundell where equal drivers and treated more fairly as neither one was better than the other. So Brundlle has never lead a team as a number 1 driver.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    8.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I remember a few years ago on a grid walk Martin spotted 'Flav' and approached him, and, it had been some time since Flavio had been around (to be seen) and as Martin got to him Flavio held up a hand and said (something along the lines of) "Martin, I first owe you an apology, you were not slow, I was wrong to say that, I think I was blinded by MIchael"

Brundlle was team mates with another British driver name Mark Blundell

I recall for a while they were jokingly referred to as the Brundell brothers.

No F1 driver is "slow", it is only by comparison. Every generation produces that one driver - Clark, Andretti, Senna, Schumacher, etc. - that is just so good that everyone else pales in comparison.

You have to understand team mates is a bad way of looking at things as often the driver in the other car is more of a collage. Alain Prost said in his book his best team mate was Lauda because they share everything. But for most teams drivers don't see each other. When driver A is on a lunch break driver B will be running in the car doing test laps or whatever. And sometimes it up to you're side of the Garage to work out setup . Recuse the other garage will not share information that can help you. Any advantage over your team mate can get you better treatment and parts over your team mate. As often a part can go on only one car and then goes to the other car.

In the old days drivers where friends off the track but at the track it was Gladiator mode and do not give in to anyone on the track. I watch NBA and after the game players will talk to friends on other teams. But in the game you have to fight them hard for the team. Mike Haillwood said he had no friends not even mechanics. He did not want to get close to another driver because he may die and he will loose them. Even Senna and Shumacher Sr showed sings of respect and compassion to other drivers at times.

Brunddle was a good driver but his job at Benetton was to be number 2. Any other team mate has to play the team game and let Michael be the superstar driver. Brundlle was team mates with another British driver name Mark Blundell at Tyrrell and even Ligier and McLaren who was a good buddy. And they shared a lot of data and helped each other out. Martin Brundell and Mark Blundell where equal drivers and treated more fairly as neither one was better than the other. So Brundlle has never lead a team as a number 1 driver.
I had to explain to a friend that Brundle and Blundell where two different drivers.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back