Brake Gamma setting for spring based pedals?

Hi all, firstly, I have a G25 with the GTEye brake spring mod. I have had my brake gamma set to 1.65 in AC for a while (even after changing to the GTEye spring) but noticed that when I first booted up ACC the brake gamma is set to 2.4 or 2.6 as default. I then tested higher gamma settings and I think around 2.5 is better with the brake mod as it allows for a more progressive feel to the brakes IMO, which goes along well with the progressive spring, I guess it's as close as I can get to load cells before I get a better setup.

What brake settings are other people using with spring based pedals? Also, what would a 2.5 gamma setting in AC and ACC translate to in AMS2 and rF2 (iirc they both use percentages for the brake setting and not gamma). Thank you :)

Before I got a (second) loadcell I went through a few solutions on some T3PA pedals of which the BBJ Green conical mod was my favourite. Since it reduced the travel as the resistance increased and limited the travel I had to set it up with some amount of gamma. The best process I came up with was to close my eyes and press as hard as I wanted for the top value and open and then set that as the maximum. Then I found I needed to consider two other points, the first was my feel of roughly 80% of that and the other was 15%. I wanted what I felt to match what happened so I went about setting a compromise gamma that gave me both of those values. These two values represented more normal braking and also trail braking and seemed to be the important points to be able to find.

I ended up with a gamma of 2.3, but it isn't really about what I felt but rather what feels like 80% and 15% to you and what gamma curve you need to set appropriately. One thing I would say is that the 15% shouldn't be as you push the pedal but as you release, its how you'll use it and after a lot of force its harder to find that compared to a loadcell which has a more linear response to force. So do 100, then 80 then 15 and fit the curve as best as you can. For me at least matching the 15% point mattered more than 80, at the higher pressures I could at least learn where the right braking was but at the lighter end there was a lot less feel so it was more important for it to match my heads initial idea but the curve is also more flattened at the top the higher the gamma goes so it has more impacti in linearising it towards force. So it really is about the solution you are using.

Before I got a (second) loadcell I went through a few solutions on some T3PA pedals of which the BBJ Green conical mod was my favourite. Since it reduced the travel as the resistance increased and limited the travel I had to set it up with some amount of gamma. The best process I came up with was to close my eyes and press as hard as I wanted for the top value and open and then set that as the maximum. Then I found I needed to consider two other points, the first was my feel of roughly 80% of that and the other was 15%. I wanted what I felt to match what happened so I went about setting a compromise gamma that gave me both of those values. These two values represented more normal braking and also trail braking and seemed to be the important points to be able to find.

I ended up with a gamma of 2.3, but it isn't really about what I felt but rather what feels like 80% and 15% to you and what gamma curve you need to set appropriately. One thing I would say is that the 15% shouldn't be as you push the pedal but as you release, its how you'll use it and after a lot of force its harder to find that compared to a loadcell which has a more linear response to force. So do 100, then 80 then 15 and fit the curve as best as you can. For me at least matching the 15% point mattered more than 80, at the higher pressures I could at least learn where the right braking was but at the lighter end there was a lot less feel so it was more important for it to match my heads initial idea but the curve is also more flattened at the top the higher the gamma goes so it has more impacti in linearising it towards force. So it really is about the solution you are using.
thanks for the reply!

Funny how we ended up with a similar gamma setting!
What you said makes sense as that's pretty much what I was doing although I'm using Content Manager and there's no graph for me to see the curve. Would be nice if there was a graphic for the curve that also shows the amount of travel in the brake pedal. I'll do some further testing with the method you mentioned (especially the 15% part).

Thanks again for the reply

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back