Best Wind sim available? (DIY or to buy)

I understand now that my project with 4 x Noctua NF-14 iPPC 3000 has to be upgraded maybe ...

Even with 4 x Noctua I will have only approx. 640 CFM.
Much less than with the MH fans with total 700 to 800 CFM (?)

I think it depends also on the distance from fan to face.
And how much sensitive we are etc...

Definitely good project!

No tube. But I think when I bought it over a year ago, that was not an option. Forgive the mess as I am mid rebuild.
5E4B465D-C5F2-49A1-A249-9B7F13CCA400.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I've got the SRS 2 fan hurricane kit and I'm pretty happy with it. It is however IMO way too loud at full power so I generally run about 50% or less. I looked into swapping out the fans with noctua ones, but the flow rate seemed much lower compared to the BGears, I didn't follow through. I cant imagine how loud (or strong for that matter) the motion house kit must be. I'm also running with VR though I'd disagree that some of the wind is lost, and suggest that it actually goes a good job cooling the headset - reducing the temperature inside.

Genuine question - what is the benefit of ducting? Is it just aesthetic, as in its got that motorsport vibe, or does it actually change the airflow?

Interesting thread. I've got the SRS 2 fan hurricane kit and I'm pretty happy with it. It is however IMO way too loud at full power so I generally run about 50% or less. I looked into swapping out the fans with noctua ones, but the flow rate seemed much lower compared to the BGears, I didn't follow through. I cant imagine how loud (or strong for that matter) the motion house kit must be. I'm also running with VR though I'd disagree that some of the wind is lost, and suggest that it actually goes a good job cooling the headset - reducing the temperature inside.

Genuine question - what is the benefit of ducting? Is it just aesthetic, as in its got that motorsport vibe, or does it actually change the airflow?
I think the point of the ducting is to place the fans further away from you which results in reduced noise levels for you.

I have a window behind my cockpit so I'm thinking about getting double-ducting. Have the fan / blower placed somewhere further away with the ducting going towards you like in a typical ducting setup. Then also have ducting on the other side of the fan / blower going towards the window so fresh air is being pulled in.

I'm hoping the intake ducting won't cause any problems just like the exhaust ducting doesn't. I'm more concerned about lag with regards to airflow felt VS vehicle speed.

Last edited:
Im also looking at this! I like that he offers power outlets for different countries, as i'm in New Zealand this is a must for me
My system arrived and it did come with different outlets and came exactly as I hoped it would with the aluminum outlets and all. Can’t wait to mount it up!

I'm hoping the intake ducting won't cause any problems just like the exhaust ducting doesn't. I'm more concerned about lag with regards to airflow felt VS vehicle speed.
I'd assume that the intake ducting wouldn't affect the lag as there would be air in the tube already. I'm surprised however the outlet ducting doesn't result in increased lag. Or maybe it does but its so insignificant as to not be noticeable...

I guess I'm going to have to hold off on ordering from MotionHouse. Something is messed up with their shipping prices. $200 USD to ship a $300 product? What the...???

I think when I bought it was 120. I remember them saying there was a reason why they only ship internationally via express shipping (which has become very expensive). In my case, I felt the reality is that there is no comparable system so I went for it.

T
I guess I'm going to have to hold off on ordering from MotionHouse. Something is messed up with their shipping prices. $200 USD to ship a $300 product? What the...???
The RedIon system I ordered (pictured in the previous posts) was $395 w/ tax and shipping from France to California.

I used to make wind simulators like this - there is nothing better than deck flow fans - it's really a wind that can blow you away) - computer fans are a toy - compared to these ... I made 2 versions with a small and a large one - large was a power of 10 amperes - and the ability to give out 6500 liters of air per minute !!! small 3500 - but there were nuances with a large one - since a very powerful power supply was really needed and, most importantly, protection for arduino - a monster shield for which it was necessary to create a cooling system - but that was not all - a coil was needed that removed the squeak when used at low speeds - this thing could run for hours - and put out real cold air - I'm not sure if these 140mm fans can do that! - as for the noise - you can't hear anything in the headphones))) but your emotions were at their best! - however, I also don’t understand why everyone doesn’t use wind guides that clearly fit into a part of the pipe and solve issues related to blowing where they don’t need to)

The cost of such a product was at the level of 300-350 dollars and a lot of troubles) - few people are willing to pay $500 for a real product!

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    501.5 KB · Views: 221
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    266.6 KB · Views: 214
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    232.7 KB · Views: 209
Я хочу хороший и сильный симулятор ветра для использования в открытых колесах.

Какой на сегодняшний день лучший симулятор сильного ветра на рынке?
Любой хороший симулятор ветра купить?

Или лучше сделай сам с фанатами ПК и т.д...?
я тебе чуть выше ответил

I used to make wind simulators like this - there is nothing better than deck flow fans - it's really a wind that can blow you away) - computer fans are a toy - compared to these ... I made 2 versions with a small and a large one - large was a power of 10 amperes - and the ability to give out 6500 liters of air per minute !!! small 3500 - but there were nuances with a large one - since a very powerful power supply was really needed and, most importantly, protection for arduino - a monster shield for which it was necessary to create a cooling system - but that was not all - a coil was needed that removed the squeak when used at low speeds - this thing could run for hours - and put out real cold air - I'm not sure if these 140mm fans can do that! - as for the noise - you can't hear anything in the headphones))) but your emotions were at their best! - however, I also don’t understand why everyone doesn’t use wind guides that clearly fit into a part of the pipe and solve issues related to blowing where they don’t need to)

The cost of such a product was at the level of 300-350 dollars and a lot of troubles) - few people are willing to pay $500 for a real product!
Is the first picture are real product that can be purchased?

Update:

I have made project finished.

4 x Noctua iPPC 3000
1 x Arduino Leonardo
PLA
Cables
GX-12 connectors
Power 12V 6A

I used Arduino sketch builder in Simhub. Very easy.

12V + connected directly to 4 x Noctuas.
12V Ground connected to Arduino Leonardo and 4 x Noctuas
PWM pins #9 and #10 connected to 2 x Noctua (left/ right)
PWM pin #11 connected to 2 x Noctuas (middle)

Settings in Simhub for channels left, right and middle.

Power is ok and almost no noise.
If I use headphones I maybe build or buy more powerful wind sim.
But I don't like headphones very much.

Является ли первое изображение реальным продуктом, который можно купить?
здравствуйте да я их сейчас делал я их не делаю ибо мало кто готов отдать 700$...но это самый настоящий ветер который может быть

I want a good and strong wind sim for use in open wheelers.

What is the best strong wind sim in the market today?
Any good wind sim to buy?

Or better DIY with some PC fans etc...?

EDIT/ UPDATE:
I made windsim myself.
4 Noctua iPPC 3000 140mm, Arduino Leornardo and Simhub Arduino sketcch builder. VERY EASY project and good wind.
More wind is possible with Arduino shield aand more powerful air fans but you need headphones.
Post #38: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/best-wind-sim-available-diy-or-to-buy.248660/post-3611626
Do you know the model of fan / blower than Motion House uses? I emailed them and hopefully can get some info.

The SRS Hurricane uses 140mm x 38mm BGear industrial fans which have a rated airflow of 308 CFM and pressure of 31.08 mmH2O at 70 dbA.

Although you can't really compare decibel levels between different companies' fans because they all measure their fan noise levels in different ways, different distances, etc., the airflow and pressure #s are usually able to be compared (as long as the company isn't lying).

That's where my question lies. I saw a video (Sim Racing Garage) that said the Motion House blowers are 4". I looked up 4" blower fans and they all seem to have an airflow rating of around 200 CFM. That's quite a bit less than the BGears' 300-ish CFM.

Also, because the fan in a 4" blower is going to be smaller than the BGears fans (4" blower: 90-100 mm VS BGears 140 mm), the smaller fans will have to spin at a higher speed to get the same airflow...higher speed for the same airflow = higher noise levels for the same airflow. Which means the 4" blowers will most likely be much louder than the BGears fans in order to move the same amount of air...and the BGears fans are already insanely loud (I've heard very similar fans before) to the point you can hear them from outside the house and it literally sounds dangerous. I'm wondering how these small 90 - 100 mm fans are providing higher airflow than those monster 140 mm fans...

I read from someone that Motion House blower fans have much less "lag" than the "normal" types of fans when they spin up according to the car's speed. If I remember correctly, the comment stated both don't really have lag when they spin down (under braking) but the "normal" fans have lag when spinning up for the car's acceleration while the MH blower fans don't have this issue. Is this true or are they both about the same?

Additional thoughts:
- It would awesome if MH used 6" blower fans. That's more like a 140 mm fan. They're usually rated at 400 CFM but, because they're bigger, they can run at the same airflow levels of the 4" version but at lower RPMs which means lower noise levels.

- I haven't taken pressure into consideration, and maybe that's why MH chose 4" instead of 6" models. All things being equal, smaller fans - although louder for the same airflow VS larger fans (since they have to spin faster) - have higher pressure than larger fans.
Please check this, maybe would be helpful: https://motionsystems.eu/knowledge-base/diy-wind-sim/

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 135 86.0%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 24 15.3%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 48 30.6%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 55 35.0%