Best VR headsets for sim racing in 2022

Got the first HTC vive and it was amazing (and the first HMD out there) then got the VIVE PRO and it wasn't really a upgrade however when I replaced the fresnal lenses it was again a gamechanger. Now I got the VIVE PRO 2 and I have to say comming from the former the difference at first was minimal.
However I got used to it and have to admit the screen is awesome.
One negative .....the fresnel lenses suck at dark scenes with light in them.

Got the G2 and am very happy with it for simming:

Pros:
- Great resolution
- Good ergonomics
- Detachable headphones, so i can easily use my over-ears on top

Cons:
- Needs a 30xx-class GPU to show it's full potential
- Motion tracking is not top-notch for non-sim applications using the hand controllers
- some USB-quirks, but might be related to my MSI AMD motherboard, almost fixed when using an active USB-hub or additional USB card

Neutral:
- mediocre FOV; not much of an issue for me, as it kind of supports the feeling of wearing a helmet.

Last edited:
I wear glasses and I'm planning to switch from rift s to reverb G2 (or something better?). Has really the G2 less room and could I risk to damage lenses with glasses rubbing on them?

I wear glasses and I'm planning to switch from rift s to reverb G2 (or something better?). Has really the G2 less room and could I risk to damage lenses with glasses rubbing on them?
I have custom lenses from VROptician for around 80EUR and would not want to race with glasses anymore. It is world's more comfortable and the optics are also better, because the facemask will inevitably mess with the position of your glasses' frame.

I haven't yet upgraded from my Odyssey+ for performance reasons as well as its relatively wide Field of view. But I think today most people would for sim racing go for the HP G2 V2 for sim racing reasons. The Varjo is surely amazing but its nearly 4x the price. The quest 2 is just such a problematic device heavily subsidized by Facebook that its good value but its also not a good future for VR. Alas its winning the market.

Still with my Rift S. I will not upgrade to a better headset before the price of the 3080 is not absurd and I can replace my 1080Ti. Modern headsets feature high resolutions and it is senseless to buy one if that forces you to reduce the graphics on your games. That said, I must confess that resolution is one of the less important factors for me in a VR headset. I would consider first:
- FOV (not only for sim-racing, but for inmersion in general)
- Tracking of the controllers, with no problems and no lag (not important for sim-racing, but for the rest of games; very happy in this sense with my Rift S)
- Refresh rate (80 is fine, but I'm sure 90 or 100 would be better)
- Contrast (better blacks and vivid colors would enhance the image).

I'm hoping the end of 2022 has more and improved options.

My Valve Index and 2080Ti have been a great combo for over 2.5 years. It's very comfortable, built solidly, has excellent audio and I'm waiting for the Index 2. The resolution and FOV are good enough that I'm not itchy. I am looking forward to the next generation of headset to arrive.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 49 26.8%
  • More leagues

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 35 19.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 20 10.9%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 11 6.0%