Best RAM for 5800X3D

Hi everyone, I have a MB with Proc Ryzen 5800X3D and now I have 16 Gb G.Skill Trident 3600Mhz 16CL... I would like to upgrade with one of these options:

1) 32 GB 3600 CL14

2) 64GB 3600 CL16

3) G.Skill Trident or G.Skill Ripjaws (or other manufacturer)?

I know that the 5800X3D does not fully exploit the RAM above 3600Mhz (correct?) and therefore I will not go further (if confirmed).

So... better 64 Gb CL16 or aim for 32 CL14 to have something more?

Price is not a problem...

Obviously if you have other advice, even better!

Thank you all!!!!

As it's a 5800x3d I'm assuming it's a gaming rig in which case 32gb is ample. Very few titles currently require 32gb, 64gb would be overkill unless you also plan to do some kind of content creation that can make use it.

Also, cas latency isn't so critical with the 58x3d. Get a Cl14 kit if it is a good price but it isn't worth going more than 10-20 Euro over a Cl16 kit. You would probably never notice the difference.

3600mhz is the fastest recommended speed though you can overclock a little higher, maybe up to 3800mhz but is dependant on the quality of the internal memory controller in the cpu as well as memory dimms. As memory overclocking can break system stability i can only say do so at your own risk.

Last edited:
Bob is 100% right.
I run a 5800X3D with CL16 DIMMs but as he stated, if price difference is small choose the CL14.
I'll add another thing....go with two 16GB kits instead of four 8GB kits.
Make sure to populate the correct slots per the motherboard manufacturer.
I cannot tell you how many times I have had to correct that in people's new builds.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.