Best Racing Title in VR

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 197115

• Deleted member 197115

What is your best VR racing title, based on look and performance?
Hope I got all current ones.

Thanks

• Deleted member 197115

I personally split between photo realistic look, high res textures and sharpness of R3E, that really gives it life like qualities, and CSP/SOL AC with all weather/seasons/daytime transitions.
May be I need new, sharper HMD, but for now it's R3E for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Project Cars 2 is the complete experience. You launch the game in VR and you can do everything from within VR. It runs really well, it just works to get going, the settings give a good range and performance is relatively consistent with only rain really proving heavier than anything else in its range of conditions. It is a shame the games FFB and the handling of the cars is inconsistent along with a incomplete multiplayer experience because it could have done better than it did and been higher regarded. It is the most enjoyable VR experience if not the most enjoyable sim.

Looks and performance will give you two minimum different answers!
Performance winner is by a huge margin LFS for me.
Nothing comes even close in performance to LFS.
Ha dit been open to mods and addon tracks it would have been a winner for me.

Deleted R3E a while ago as I didn't use it much so have no opinion on that one.
Have only used iracing for a few months some 4-5 years ago and was not impressed.

AC with CSP/SOL.
While a improvement over plain AC is still just a kluge. Just because you can polish a turd doesn't mean you should! And under the shine it is still a turd.
Ok, not a AC fan.
It does run well in VR without needing highend PC and it does look good in VR but got a lifeless static feel to me.

Newer used DR 2.0
But DR 1 is a great visual experience not keen on Revive and not really into Rally sport but it does look great in VR.

Ended up voting for RF2!
Even it is annoyingly slow to start up. The Ui's are poorly designed, both of them!
With right (for you) track and car combination it is a pretty special experience.

Could also have voted for PC2 as the right combinations also gives you a great experience but I have newer got a real great display in VR? Always some blur and /or some flicker.

Over all I have to admit I enjoy Gtr2 and GTL with VorpX more than any of the other sims!
No they do not look nearly as good as any of the native VR Sims but I still enjoy them more.

• Deleted member 197115

The reason look and performance are listed together as some titles might have great potential to look really good, but you never see this glory due to poor performance that forces you to drop everything to the point when it becomes one ugly sight.
So think of the balance of these two.

I voted iRacing. I can't put my finger exactly on what it is, but for some reason iRacing just feels more 'real' and immersive in VR than other titles. I think it might be the performance, with it being able to run 120hz and still look clean and crisp.

I'd love ACC to be my go to sim, but I just can't get it working well enough. I think running iRacing at 120hz has ruined sims that have to have reprojection on! I've tried so many settings and just can't get a decent framerate out of it which spoils the enjoyment for me.

AC with the shaders patch is good but I don't really play it much anymore, I just tend to fire up iRacing.

Since I enabled VRSS, iRacing looks fanfreaking tastic!

This shows the load on my system at 120 fps, with iRacing Anti aliasing and isotropic maxed out and sharpening enabled. It looks great!

VRSSiRacing.jpg

Since I enabled VRSS, iRacing looks fanfreaking tastic!

This shows the load on my system at 120 fps, with iRacing Anti aliasing and isotropic maxed out and sharpening enabled. It looks great!

View attachment 344920
Would you mind posting your iRacing graphics settings please? I think we have similar hardware (9900k and 2080ti) but I couldn't get 120hz at all with vrss enabled. It just stuck at 60hz, which when you're used to 120 was not nearly good enough! I might've done something wrong though...

pcars 2 is definitely the best VR "experience" as a game but it just doesnt look or perform the best. For me nothing is touch AC in VR . It has the clearest image by far. Looks great on my Odyssey plus. And runs perfect. It just gets annoying having the separate menu interface on the monitor and not in VR. raceroom and rfactor 2 are tied for second for me.

• Deleted member 197115

I've tried so many times to make PCars2 run and look decent in WMR to no avail. In fact tried it again today after seeing how many people like it. Even with medium/high, not the lowest, settings it still was pale comparing to AC/SOL/CSP and definitely way below R3E.
May be Oculus people have better luck, but shadows and antialiasing are just way too bad in that title.
And AMS2 will be running on that engine? :(
My personal rating from best to worst:
- AC (CSP/SOL)
- R3E
- DR 2.0
- rFactor2
- PCars2
- ACC

Last edited by a moderator:
iRacing runs the best and has the clearest image of any of the titles for me. I is like looking at a monitor. AC is second from a performance/looks standpoint. PCARS2 is the most immersive and can look really good, but is a bit blurry and performance is hit or miss. RRRE looks great when I am by myself on certain tracks haha. It is very spotty. I have used a RiftS and Valve Index and my ranking is the same for both headsets.

I continue to be blown away by iRacing at a native 120fps with VRSS !

I took part in 3 races yesterday. They were all 20 car races, so no huge fields of cars, but Zandvoort is a great track. Typically there were enough participants each hour to break the field into 3 or 4 groups. My frame rate in iRacing was 120-119 for every race and looked utterly smooth.

The extra frame rate seemed helpful on one of the corners when you are flying over a hill at high speed and needing to hit a brake point just as you come over the top of the hill. I'm sure you could get the timing at a lower frame rate, but having that frame rate makes things feel smoother at high speeds.

VRSS automatically backs off if things get busy rather than lowering the frame rate. It's like adaptive sharpening/anti-aliasing. I haven't noticed it backing off, but it seems to be keeping a more steady load on my GPU than before VRSS.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.